Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 08:49 PM

501 posts, read 933,059 times

Advertisements

Noticed today that a lot of the windows in our home have cracked caulking around the outside, where the window meets the Hardiplank siding.

How do I correct this? Obviously recaulk, but do I remove the old caulking before adding new, or just squirt new on top?

House is 8 years old (I'm the second owner). Is it reasonable for it have cracked now? I don't want to go around recaulking every couple years if I can help it.

What kind of caulking works best to fix it?

House location: Pacific Northwest

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 11:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Considering the house most likely has a painters grade caulk on it, I'd remove it. You can do this with a Paint Tool. I sharpen mine some but not knife sharp. It makes removing the old caulk a breeze. When it comes to caulk, make sure to read the amount of water in the caulk. I don't allow anything with the name DAP on my jobs because of it. At one time DAP made great caulks but the company has changed hands a time or two over the years and there's far too much water in it. It will crack open before the first year is out. WE use Superiors 3006 White Lightning caulk on all of our exteriors. It's very high solids, very little shrinkage, and it stays put without cracking. It has a 40 year warranty. Lowes is one of their retailers. Avoid any clear caulks as they do not have UV filters in the mix and will yellow and shrink. Make sure whatever caulk you decide on is paintable and avoid pure silicone caulks unless you know to work with them. They can get stringy pretty quick. Here's some linkys:
Husky 14-in-1 Painter's Tool-DSX-G14 at The Home Depot
Shop White Lightning 11-oz White Paintable Silicone Window and Door Caulk at Lowes.com

Old 04-01-2014, 02:13 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I don't want to go around recaulking every couple years if I can help it.

Well, the response to that statement is-
"Oh, yes you will!" Welcome to home ownership.

I believe Trapper covered the important stuff. I'll add this; regardless of the caulk you use, depending on what side of the house it's on will determine its life cycle. South and West will usually have a shortened cycle versus North and East. And that will vary if there is year around shade from conifer-type trees. Another issue that you will contend with is different materials expand and contract at different rates; i.e., siding and window frame.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:48 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,790,192 times
Remove, Clean and Reapply New Caulk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House