Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:18 AM

77 posts, read 123,936 times

Advertisements

I have a 6-7 year old whirlpool dishwasher which has been awesome. Not one service call.
Have a 3 year old mounted GE Microwave/Convection oven with no issues either. However, I read detailed reviews on both items before purchasing. Keep it simple as the more fancy electronics you get will mean the more repairs/issues that will cost a fortune down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
I'd go with KitchenAid, too, especially if it is part of Whirlpool. I've had much better luck with my Whirlpool appliances than I have either GE or Kenmore.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
I like dishwashers with hidden controls that are "panel ready" because then it can look like any other cabinet.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:44 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
out of those 2 choices yeah kitchenaid

also get you a kitchenaid mixer

dont bother with online reviews...the only thing they might bego od for is spotting a defect like sayi f everyone keeps saying "the icemaker keeps doing this"

other than that i find any and evERY appliance i've specd, researched and decided on all have bad reviews

i find that in general people expect products to work and only take the time out to rant and rave online about problems they have encountered not how something works as its should to begin with

---

i got a ge dual fuel range and a ge dishwasher and they both work as they should with no problems

a frigidaire fridge and upright freezer that both work, they actually make alot of the ge refrigeration profduts as well as others

Old 04-09-2014, 12:54 PM

77 posts, read 123,936 times
Poor advice ACE. Take online reviews into consideration (if possible). I have almost purchased items before and then found out via multiple reviews that huge numbers of people were having major issues with certain appliances or devices via manufacturer defects, recalls, etc. I always look into these from multiple sources as "part" of my decision and have few issues with my major purchases ie Auto's, Appliances, Electronics, etc. because of my due diligence. Or you can roll the dice and hope for the best as the above poster states. Always do your homework on major purchases and you will limit issues.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:25 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I bought a GE Profile dishwasher and fridge a few years ago, and won't buy GE appliances in the future. They were cheaply constructed, full of plastic parts and electronics which seemed to be designed to break, and even when working properly they weren't that great. Replacement parts are expensive, but miraculously every repairman seems to have plenty of stock -- probably because they are fail so often.

I don't know anything about Kitchen Aid, and maybe my experience is just par for the course with new consumer-grade appliances. But still, I'm done with GE stuff.
The last GE propane stove we bought has been nothing but trouble, almost from day one. It still works, but the brain in it is just plain junk.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:12 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
We currently have all GE Profile appliances (purchased in 2009, dishwasher was purchased in 2006), but we have an induction range. No complaints here. For our new kitchen, I've requested the GE dishwashers as opposed to Bosche and Miele.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:20 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFOtoAustin View Post
I have given following options from builder to pick. I am not sure which is better? Any suggestions?

KitchenAid:
KitchenAid® 30-Inch Convection Double Wall Oven, Architect® Series II
KitchenAid® 36-Inch 5 Burner Gas Cooktop, Architect® Series II
KitchenAid® 1200-Watt Countertop Microwave Oven, Architect® Series II (Microwave Trim Kit Now Included!)
KitchenAid® 24'' 6-Cycle/5-Option Dishwasher, Architect® Series II
UXT5536AAS Range Hood - 400 CFM Dual High Performance Blower

GE:
GE Profile Series 36" Buil-in Gas Cooktop
GE 30" Build-In Double Wall Oven
GE 2.0 Cu.Ft. Capacity Countertop Microwave Oven
GE Stainless Steel interior Dishwasher with Hidden Controls
GE Profile Series 36" High Performance Range Hood
I usually check the ratings in the consumer reports and go with their recommendations.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:51 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
We've have several KitchenAid appliances and found them to be good. Currently we have a double oven and dishwasher (which is a Kenmore Elite rebadged KitchenAid) in our kitchen. And KitchenAid is also related to Maytag and Whirpool. When researching before buying our double oven, I found that all three use some of the exact same parts for their ovens, and also their dishwashers. I'm thinking about replacing our cooktop with a KitchenAid one if I can find one on sale for a good price. We like having the knobs at the front of the cooktop, vs on the side like our current one.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Here's a shout out to KitchenAid, even though it was with a small appliance I ordered from Amazon.

The appliance came in and it just didn't work. I mean, I plugged it in, and it just didn't work. Now, I could have gone through Amazon's return policy, but there was an 800 number on the appliance paperwork, so I called it. It was 8 pm at night.

AN AMERICAN ANSWERED and I didn't even have to wait on hold. That was my first pleasant surprise. The very friendly guy asked me what appliance I had ordered and from where (Amazon) and then he asked me what color it was and I told him (red). He said, "Since you're not in our file due to going through Amazon, what's your home address and phone number?" I told him and he said, "I am shipping you a new one tonight. You should receive it in about 36 hours. Along with it, I am sending a box for you to return the other one. It is prepaid - just put the other one in the box and stick it in your mailbox." I said, "Do you need a debit card number or something?" He said, "Nope - if we don't receive the other one within two weeks we'll just give you a call."

WOW.

I got the new one within 36 hours and it works like a charm. I slipped the other one in the box and put it in my mailbox and I was done. Amazingly good service.

They won my heart right then and there. I've been buying KitchenAid products ever since and am very pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House