Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 09:56 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

When I bought my house, the radon was slightly higher than acceptable levels. I asked that the sellers pay for the remediation. They prepaid a firm to come in and take care of it after I moved in. When the guy showed up, he told me the best and easiest place to do it would be right where the sump pump is, and repeatedly steered me in that direction, even though I had asked about the possibility of installing it in the boiler room area. I said fine to installing it by the sump pump, assuming that was the standard.

Well, I'm getting the sump pump replaced, and the guys are having a heck of a time replacing it because the radon guy sealed off the entire sump pump hole for the radon. They told me that it was not at all standard to do that. Presumably the radon remediation will not work with the cover removed, so I'm going to have to call a firm to replace the cover.

Here are my questions:

Should I call the firm who installed the previous radon remediation equipment and demand that they fix their error? Or should I call a new firm?

How negligent was what they did? The sump pump guy said it was done the cheapest way possible and was not at all standard.

What recourse do I have? Or what actions should I take? This is just not something I'm familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
There are sealed cover that you can built for sump pit. I've seen plenty of radon remediation unit in sump pit. You may want to shop around for a different person to deal with the sump pump. They may be more helpful.

The person who told you that it's not standard, I would questioned that. There are guidelines for using sump pit for remediation and sealed covers. Cover should be sealed using silicone and if you are servicing a pump, you reseal.

Last edited by sj08054; 04-11-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 04-11-2014, 01:24 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Standard practice where I live

Radon mitigation is via the sump hole.
Everything gets sealed.
Standard in Denver.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:29 PM

468 posts, read 523,867 times
I'm not sure that there was an error made, but you should probably call the radon remediator and have him remove and then replace the cover on the sump pit.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:43 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Thanks for the feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House