Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,199 times

Advertisements

Just purchased a home and like 3 hours ago we were told that we have a level 3 sex offender living right next door. Is there not a law that obligates realtors to disclose information about sex offenders while showing property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 05:05 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,950,481 times
The National Association of Realtors has taken a neutral position with regard to this issue, saying the prospective homeowner is responsible for researching the neighborhood for sex offenders. It might cost ya your earnest money but I'd back out of the deal, or is it already a done deal? I think a lawyer would be a waste of money at this point but you might contact the Real Estate Commission or a government agency and ask specifically about any legislation reference Megan's Law and realtor disclosure. State laws do vary. Who told you about the perv living next door?

LEVEL 3: Typically offenders in this category have a history of repeat sexual offending, and/or strong antisocial, violent or predatory personality characteristics. These are individuals whose offense and criminal history require notification throughout the community.

You would think when it's put this way that potential buyers should be informed, but due to these people moving around, liability and as it might effect sales, I'm sure the burden will remain on the buyer to check out the neighborhood before putting money on a house. It's up to people to make these disclosure laws stronger. Good luck to you.

Last edited by todd00; 04-20-2014 at 05:41 AM..

Old 04-20-2014, 07:51 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,026,620 times
In the State of Georgia in the Purchase and Sales Agreement, there is a paragraph under inspection where the Buyer(s) have the right to inspect the neighborhood and the website is given for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation website's for Georgia Violent Sex Offender Registry list.

I am sure it is different for every state.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:21 AM

563 posts, read 1,778,563 times
you'd think for 3%, which can amount to a figure that most poor folks make in a year, an agent should do some due dilligence for you. I mean, they'll tell you the school ratings in the area, but god forbid they tell you a sex offender is in the area, and it squashes their sale... Just another reason not to trust RE agents.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:54 AM

154 posts, read 688,649 times
First make sure the information is accurate. The sex offender databases are not updated frequently.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:02 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,724,778 times
Nope.

Arkansas Real Estate Basics - Dearborn Financial Publishing - Google Books

Old 04-20-2014, 11:03 AM

17,669 posts, read 29,550,848 times
Default Liability

Real-estate agents don't disclose because they do not want to held liable.
Buyers need to do their own research.
Don't do it and you have only yourself to blame.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:08 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,178,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
In the State of Georgia in the Purchase and Sales Agreement, there is a paragraph under inspection where the Buyer(s) have the right to inspect the neighborhood and the website is given for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation website's for Georgia Violent Sex Offender Registry list.

I am sure it is different for every state.
I've seen a similar paragraph written for every house I've purchased, (in three different states).

OP, if you want more input from realtors, there is a whole real estate section on C-D. Someone there may chime in on the law in your state.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:14 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd2009 View Post
Just purchased a home and like 3 hours ago we were told that we have a level 3 sex offender living right next door. Is there not a law that obligates realtors to disclose information about sex offenders while showing property?

My thought is the home is where you are going to live so perhaps you should be obligated to find out about the neighborhood you are going to move into. The information you want is public record and you can do the research just as easily as a realtor can.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:25 AM

563 posts, read 1,778,563 times
Exactly! and you'd think for 3%, the realtor would get you all the info you need to make a wise decision, right? Liability my ass, it's public information, the same as pulling tax records, # of bedrooms, etc.

Now, if the RE agent were to give you advice on what to do, then that would be a different story. But that is not what the OP was asking for. Of course an agent would not pull this info, because it would potentially discourage a sale. That therein lies the problem - when you get an RE who is paid by the seller, they no longer work in your best interest. The only way you can get an agent to work in your best interest, is to pay them out of your own pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House