Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 11:14 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,996,582 times

Advertisements

Anyone had any luck with any of these fixes for removing light gray lines/scratches in toilet from using a silver steel wool pad?

First I'd say the light gray lines are not stains so much as 'scratch marks' from scratching away the glaze on the porcelain, or MAYBE the porcelain itself. I did get some of them to fade just using a light regular scratch pad and Comet.

I've seen all of these online recommended for everything from various stains to scratches from plummer snakes, to 'brillo' pad scratches.
Any of these you can personally recommend?..for the light gray scratch lines?....thanks.

-- Barkeepers Friend
-- no scratch glass top cleaner
-- a paste of salt and vinegar
-- baking soda
-- plumbers rubber -- also called China or bath rubber (eraser)
-- Cerama Bryte
-- Get Glass
-- Wright's Silver Cream
-- Gojo
-- Zud
-- gallon of vinegar, with boiling water
-- Mr.Clean eraser
-- CLR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 11:31 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,930,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Anyone had any luck with any of these fixes for removing light gray lines/scratches in toilet from using a silver steel wool pad?

First I'd say the light gray lines are not stains so much as 'scratch marks' from scratching away the glaze on the porcelain, or MAYBE the porcelain itself. I did get some of them to fade just using a light regular scratch pad and Comet.

I've seen all of these online recommended for everything from various stains to scratches from plummer snakes, to 'brillo' pad scratches.
Any of these you can personally recommend?..for the light gray scratch lines?....thanks.

-- Barkeepers Friend
-- no scratch glass top cleaner
-- a paste of salt and vinegar
-- baking soda
-- plumbers rubber -- also called China or bath rubber (eraser)
-- Cerama Bryte
-- Get Glass
-- Wright's Silver Cream
-- Gojo
-- Zud
-- gallon of vinegar, with boiling water
-- Mr.Clean eraser
-- CLR
FYI Barkeepers Friend and DUD.. same thing.

I have used Barkeepers friend to remove stainless steel utensil marks on my china. Have also used it to remove stainless steel marks in my porcelain tub.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:43 PM

2,504 posts, read 2,725,182 times
Default Pumice stone

I had similar marks from a plumber's snake. I'd tried to unclog a toilet myself with my inadequate snake but ultimately had to call a real plumber. He easily unclogged it with his industrial-strength snake which left no marks. But when he saw my marks, he recommended pumice stone. Worked like a charm . . . you'd never know it ever had those marks.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 AM

I don't have Barkeepers Friend. But I have some Brasso.

They're same -- or rival brands that do the same thing, no?
So would the Brasso work?

Old 05-27-2014, 03:56 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I don't have Barkeepers Friend. But I have some Brasso.

They're same -- or rival brands that do the same thing, no?
So would the Brasso work?

NO! Not the same. You can find Barkeeper's Friend at almost any grocery store.

So, before you do something you'll really regret- stop being lazy and go get some BF.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:52 AM

Whoa, K'ledge, no laziness...

I just thought the two products were similar, since the both are used on the same materials, right?
But maybe not. I just happened to have the Brasso around and thought I'd ask?

But I also had some glass/ceramic cooktop cleaner, which was also on the list of suggested fixes, so I tried that -- and it worked just fine. So all it well.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 12,195 times
OK, This site is encouraging new opinions so here's mine:
My new white porcelain bathroom sink got a scuff from the base of the faucet while being installed or the plumber had a ring on, but I didn't check and he did not admit to it. Previously to this happening the sink had had some black speckles on it right out of the box. I tried vinegar, baking soda, window cleaner, alcohol, mineral spirits, nothing worked and I did not know what the specks were. Then I borrowed some Bon Ami and they came of with out too much trouble.
When I saw the scuff, the plumber said it would wipe off. It did not "wipe off", it did not scrub off, Bon Ami did not work, scotch brite, vinegar, lemon, baking soda, toothpaste- nothing in the place was doing anything. I didn't have any of the other things mentioned in the threads and wasn't about to take a pumice or even 600 sandpaper to it. 600 wet sanding did remove a scratch from the old sink but that area was always a bit dull after that.
I wondered if this "plumbers rubber" from the UK was anything like an art gum eraser and tried the art gum. It did lighten the scuff after a while but I didn't want to spend the rest of my life rubbing that. I searched the garage for rubbing compound but it was nowhere to be found. Then I borrowed some Wrights Silver cream, and scrubbed it with cotton and it took of a bit. Then I decided to leave it on there for a couple of hours, then rubbed a few minutes more and it is now 97% off and it does not appear to have dulled the porcelain.
I didn't feel like spending the rest of the day on this thing and left it. If I have nothing better to do at some point I will use the cotton with Wright's on it again. I'm glad it works because I didn't like seeing that mark and I didn't have to "go buy something", that I probably won't need again for 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House