U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-13-2007, 09:04 AM
 
Location: New York
371 posts, read 1,334,035 times
Reputation: 243

Advertisements

We recently bought an adoble style home and would really like to change the outside color. Its a pinkish color and we would rather paint it a sand or brown hue. I was told you cannot paint over stucco if its been over before. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2007, 10:31 AM
tao
 
Location: Colorado
719 posts, read 2,326,020 times
Reputation: 892
I've never heard that before. I would have said there's no question, of course you can paint over stucco. Most houses where I come from are either concrete block with stucco or frame with stucco and they are all repainted many times over the years, no problem. But the best bet is to go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and ask them about your house - give them the specific details about it and see what they say.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 AM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 8,783,614 times
Reputation: 2012
You can paint over stucco. We used to have a stucco house and painted it with no problems at all. But like any exterior paint job, all loose paint needs to be removed and all cracks and problems with the stucco need to be repaired first. And of course, the better quality the paint, the longer it will last.

I've seen some ads recently claiming there is a new paint product (Behr, I think) that claims it has new technology that makes is as durable as vinyl siding. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2007, 10:55 AM
 
Location: The mountians of Northern California.
1,357 posts, read 4,159,129 times
Reputation: 1129
Yes you can. My inlaws have painted their stucco home a few times. It looks great. All the homes in their neighborhood are stucco and have the same color schemes. Its nice seeing a different color home.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2007, 11:41 AM
 
Location: San Fernando Valley, CA
1,719 posts, read 4,673,477 times
Reputation: 744
Yes, just did it. Repaired the stucco and got rid of the peeling paint....cleaned it and painted with rollers. Looks great. Went from Dark ugly army green to a light gray and you can't tell it was ever green.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2007, 02:20 PM
 
1,173 posts, read 4,561,012 times
Reputation: 949
Here's the story on stucco and paint. Corretly done stucco has its color in the stucco. If you want to change it, the traitional way of doing it is to restucco the house. It's not that hard to do and you're left with a finish that shouldn't peel away, like paint will do.

However, you can also paint the stucco. However, once painted it always has to be painted. You can't restucco over paint. If you want to restucco the house, you'd have a bigger mess becuase you'd have to remove all the paint and get down into the lower layers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2007, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
2,917 posts, read 5,026,288 times
Reputation: 2913
If you want to paint, don't cheap out and only use 100% acrylic latex paint.

Pressure wash the stucco and paint away. Several coats. Anticipate about 100-150 sq ft coverage per gallon on stucco.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2007, 09:08 PM
 
Location: New York
371 posts, read 1,334,035 times
Reputation: 243
Has anyone heard of the special paint for stucco homes. I do believe, as stated previously, that is Behr paint. The only thing I've heard is it is suppose to have some elasticity (sp?) to it and therefore, on a stucco home is very good to use. I guess the cracking is less with it??
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2007, 10:19 PM
 
377 posts, read 1,079,814 times
Reputation: 188
There's synthetic stucco which has the paint already in the stucco and then regular stucco that you paint. We've had both. The house that had regular stucco, the builder put very cheap exterior paint on it and it faded within a year... plus there were several cracks. They repainted it, but this time used elastometeric paint (I know I didn't spell it correctly) - this paint came from Luxon ( sherwin williams), but I'm assuming other companies make it also. It's supposed to show less cracks because of it's elasticity plus I think it's made for stucco walls.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 08:18 AM
 
9,125 posts, read 23,811,524 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
I've never heard that before. I would have said there's no question, of course you can paint over stucco. Most houses where I come from are either concrete block with stucco or frame with stucco and they are all repainted many times over the years, no problem. But the best bet is to go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and ask them about your house - give them the specific details about it and see what they say.
Please, please, please....go anywhere but HD or Lowes if you want reliable information! Visit a Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore or Duron store- you'll have a 95% chance of speaking to someone who actually knows what he/she is talking about, vs maybe a 5% chance at HD or Lowes. Most of the paint department people at the big boxes got "extensive training" on paint consisting of a 1-hour video and instructions on how to operate the paint mixing machine.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top