U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:44 PM

136 posts, read 315,105 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea how much it costs to add stairs from a deck down to a backyard? The house we are buying has a deck off the main level but no stairs to the backyard (which is at the basement level). Just looking for a ballpark to try to estimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:40 PM

7,758 posts, read 3,163,770 times
Coincidentally, I spoke with someone from Long Fence about this today. I was quoted about $4,000.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:29 PM

136 posts, read 315,105 times
Wow. Someone else I asked this mentioned that it was about $500 --- huge difference. I guess we have more research to do. Or just to get some quotes. Thanks for your input!

Old 05-31-2014, 12:12 AM

13,155 posts, read 50,619,140 times
Your price should be relatively the same as here in the ATL-

About $4.50-$5.25/step (labor) for a plain straight run. But, if you want a landing (sq/ft price+posts) at the top so the stairs can hug the deck perimeter, that will add substantially to the bottomline- depending on location and joist direction. And if you want a "wrap around" that will require an intermediate landing. Landings require posts for support, and the posts require a substantial concrete footings.

Then there's the total material cost- which will also include a concrete landing pad at the bottom of the stairs (code); and depending on your stair location in relation to the door/deck light- you may need another (code).

$4k is definitely on the extreme high side- I would be in the $2800-$3500 range depending on soil conditions, slope, permit requirements, material, and accessibility (over 9' hgt. Is extra charge).

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 05-31-2014 at 12:22 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 12:25 AM

18,758 posts, read 55,889,829 times
There is another factor to consider as well. A deck that is floating 8' up is relatively secure. One with a nice set of stairs invites burglars, cats, possums, racoons and dogs.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:07 AM

29,704 posts, read 64,651,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holacandita View Post
Does anyone have any idea how much it costs to add stairs from a deck down to a backyard?
Just looking for a ballpark to try to estimate.
The pile of lumber, hardware and a couple bags of 'crete you'll need?
Figure on somewhere around $200 (could be $400 depending on size etc).

Labor? That will be a lot more if you need the help.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 81,772 times
Wow! $4000 for a set of stairs coming off and existing deck. Wth are you guys using for wood, oak, black walnut? Then $2800-3500? Oh, Im sorry... just noticed you want composite decking boards and gold plated nails. Well then, $2800-$4000 is very reasonable.

I just picked up the lumber & hardware to build a 4'x4' landing coming off the existing deck. With a straight run of steps 4' wide coming down and ending on top of the concrete pad i already poured thats connected to my customers 16' x 16' patio slab by a short sidewalk. I installed those too. Have pics if anyone interested. Turned out awesome and the customer just text me today to say how much he loves it. Anyway, the materials today covers all but the handrails which i will add after i install steps and landing. Came to $300, 2x - 2x12x16 (stringer)
4x - 2x10x16 (framing/joists for landing)
4x - 1x6x16 (deck boards for landing and steps)
1x - 6x6x12 post (supports for 1 side of the landing that is not attached to existing deck)
1x - box of nails
1x - deck screws
4x - lag bolts (to attack landing to existing deck)
*** All wood is pressure treated

I probably charge his $1500 + materials. Will be $2000 or less though i can guarantee that and done well.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:29 PM

13,155 posts, read 50,619,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeShark View Post
Wow! $4000 for a set of stairs coming off and existing deck. Wth are you guys using for wood, oak, black walnut? Then $2800-3500? Oh, Im sorry... just noticed you want composite decking boards and gold plated nails. Well then, $2800-$4000 is very reasonable.

I just picked up the lumber & hardware to build a 4'x4' landing coming off the existing deck. With a straight run of steps 4' wide coming down and ending on top of the concrete pad i already poured thats connected to my customers 16' x 16' patio slab by a short sidewalk. I installed those too. Have pics if anyone interested. Turned out awesome and the customer just text me today to say how much he loves it. Anyway, the materials today covers all but the handrails which i will add after i install steps and landing. Came to $300, 2x - 2x12x16 (stringer)
4x - 2x10x16 (framing/joists for landing)
4x - 1x6x16 (deck boards for landing and steps)
1x - 6x6x12 post (supports for 1 side of the landing that is not attached to existing deck)
1x - box of nails
1x - deck screws
4x - lag bolts (to attack landing to existing deck)
*** All wood is pressure treated

I probably charge his $1500 + materials. Will be $2000 or less though i can guarantee that and done well.

So, you poop and spit on the previously quoted prices yet you've only built HALF a staircase!!! A fully built staircase has handrails. So, when you get that PILE OF LUMBER and take more hours to build it than you quoted- nothing like shooting yourself in the foot! Or is it inserting shot foot in the mouth!?

Old 05-04-2016, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 81,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
So, you poop and spit on the previously quoted prices yet you've only built HALF a staircase!!! A fully built staircase has handrails. So, when you get that PILE OF LUMBER and take more hours to build it than you quoted- nothing like shooting yourself in the foot! Or is it inserting shot foot in the mouth!?
Wow, okay first off who would build stair from a 2nd story deck and not add a hand rail, etc... BUT!!! I do stand corrected as the job took way longer than i intended and the materials alone cost over $500. Fortunately, I have done a ton of work for this guy already so I just bill him after the job is complete and not binded to any estimates or agreements. I will probaby charge him $1800 labor + materials so it should be about $2500. He has too much work left for me to do and I have already made about $15,000 so far this year with him. Would love to shoot you some photos though and see what you would charge for it since you have more experience with this type of work. I will be honest the steps kicked my ### but the hand rail was easy. Haha

Old 05-04-2016, 01:58 PM

10,481 posts, read 11,575,212 times
There are a lot of variables. You don't tell us the height of the stairway or any other site variables, so it's predictable that you get a crazy range of estimates.

Talk to more than one builder, tell them what you want, and get an estimate. Then you can decide if you can afford it.

I really don't think this is the kind of thing you can get a very useful answer on over the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or