Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:36 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
Thanks so much for everyone's opinions. It's really helped me out, even though pretty much everyone's tastes are different !
So let us know what you decide on. I can't speak for everyone but I'm curious about what you choose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 05:56 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Compare the energy efficiency labels. You're rarely see the lower end models--the top-freezer designs--will also have less energy efficiency, rarely if ever achieving "Energy Star" ratings. Cheaper designed cooling systems? Less insulation? Whatever--the point I'm making is that manufacturers don't build the different designs to equal levels of efficient design and technology.
Where are you shopping at?

Go to Lowes.com and search refrigerators, then top freezer..

Out of 207 top freezer designs they carry, 133 are energy star.

In the 16-20.9 cuft models, which excludes your small "dorm" refrigerators.. out of 136, 101 are energy star, while 35 are not.

As someone else mentioned, a top-freezer model by design is more efficient because most, if not all of those units, the coils are mounted in the freezer, and a fan is used to distribute the cold air down.. But, physics plays a part in it, too, because cold air sinks.

Now.. The last part, I agree with. You will rarely find a top-freezer model with all the 'bells and whistles' because the top freezer model by its design, can't do some of the things you can do with a side by side. Or, at least, the cost would be prohibitive. I have never seen (not that they don't exist) a top freezer model with dual compressors. Which is generally required for your 'zone cooling' things.

Of course.. With the more technology you cram in, the more there is to go wrong. You didn't hear a whole lot of people bitching about their AC not working in their car, or the power locks and power windows being out in the 70's.. because most cars didn't come with them. Hell.. A/C was an option then.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:07 PM

701 posts, read 1,691,671 times
Midvalleydad, I'm leaning towards a top freezer with an ice maker, based on a bunch of things, including the space it's going in. It's a 1950 cape cod, so there's not a lot of extra space. It'll be on the entry wall in the kitchen, with the left side (as you're facing it ) abutting the counter, which is only about 26 inches deep.

I'm going to have a plumber come out to install a garbage disposal anyway, so I'll also ask him to put in the line for me. He's done work at the house I'm renting, so I already know and trust him.

Someone else here mentioned they usually buy mid-range appliances, and I think that's what I usually go for too (I had to buy a stove and a washing machine in the last place I rented). I may go Kenmore: other than the annoying vacuum cleaner I inherited (proprietary bags, grr), I've always had good results. But I'll still check out reviewsnon other brands.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:30 PM

38 posts, read 119,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'll only speak to my experiences and opinions.. Your mileage may vary..

I worked at Samsung for a while.. The fridges from Samsung.. Now, admittedly, I worked there, so I really didn't get to hear all the "Oh, I've never had a lick of trouble out of it" stories.. What I got to hear was "This POS is less than a year old, what do you mean the compressor has failed and it'll take a month to get the part from Korea?" and "Who designed this POS? The plastic pieces in my ice could have killed me, i'll sue!".. So, just mentioning that because I may be slightly biased based on what I saw. The fancier you get.. The more problems you're apt to have. Some of the Samsungs even had 2 compressors in them, which is what made them so expensive. One for the freezer, one for the fridge. I think LG does the same.

Editing to add.. To touch back on Samsung a bit.. I know they did this, I assume others do as well. If the fridge fails under warranty (I think they have a 1 year/5 year warranty.. Which is 1 year on the fridge itself, and a 5 year warranty on the 'sealed system', basically the compressor).. If you lost the contents of your fridge while under warranty, they would cover that.. Had to show receipts and it was a PITA, but, they would cover the contents. I'd still stay away. That includes washers/dryers as well.. Even alot of repair people had no idea how to deal with those things. Too computerized. The washers, not being perfectly level would cause them to not run. They're almost too complicated to be consumer products. I lump LG in with this as well.
Labonte:

I have a Samsung counter depth side by side and about 14 months after buying it, the little "cubed ice" icon burnt out. So I called Samsung about repairing it (not that easy to repair since its a small LED light mounted directly to the PCB) and fixing it meant replacing the entire display unit. Cost: $300 for the part, $150 for the repair. I decided that I don't need the cubed ice icon that badly, but I think this is a good example of exactly what you describe: overly computerized, and not easy to repair. I dread the day when something more critical fails on it.

That said, Samsung is one of the only makers that makes a 24+ cubic foot side by side at counter depth, which is exactly what I need based on my kitchen layout. Terrific product, works beautifully, space efficient, energy efficient, looks great, but they really need to make the product easier (and cheaper) to repair. Meanwhile my old condo had a hotpoint stove and you could buy pretty much every single nut bolt and screw in that thing in the aftermarket for a reasonable price.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:39 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
The best fridge is the biggest one you can by. The Sub-Zero style built ins are neat.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:49 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
don't see anyone saying to buy a $4000 fridge.
True.
I was advocating for a $8000 fridge.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:17 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Where are you shopping at?

Go to Lowes.com and search refrigerators, then top freezer..

Out of 207 top freezer designs they carry, 133 are energy star.

In the 16-20.9 cuft models, which excludes your small "dorm" refrigerators.. out of 136, 101 are energy star, while 35 are not.

As someone else mentioned, a top-freezer model by design is more efficient because most, if not all of those units, the coils are mounted in the freezer, and a fan is used to distribute the cold air down.. But, physics plays a part in it, too, because cold air sinks.

Now.. The last part, I agree with. You will rarely find a top-freezer model with all the 'bells and whistles' because the top freezer model by its design, can't do some of the things you can do with a side by side. Or, at least, the cost would be prohibitive. I have never seen (not that they don't exist) a top freezer model with dual compressors. Which is generally required for your 'zone cooling' things.

Of course.. With the more technology you cram in, the more there is to go wrong. You didn't hear a whole lot of people bitching about their AC not working in their car, or the power locks and power windows being out in the 70's.. because most cars didn't come with them. Hell.. A/C was an option then.
Lowes is the first place I always shop because they give me a 10% discount. I

If you ask for only once modern technology feature, Energy Star, you get 21 models (again discarding exterior finish differences):
Frigidaire 16.5
Frigidaire 18.2
Frigidaire 18.3
Frigidaire 20.6
Frigidaire Gallery 18.3
Frigidaire Gallery 20.6
GE 16.5
GE 18
GE 20
GE 21
LG 20.21
LG 23.73
Maytag 17.5
Maytag 20.6
Whirlpool 17.6
Whirlpool 18.5
Whirlpool 19
Whirlpool 20.6
Whirlpool 21.08
Whirlpool 21.1
Whirlpool 21.2

f you break their online listing down by just two modern technology features--Energy Star compliance and LED lighting (LED lighting is easy...why would it not be installed across the board?)--you have just three full-size top-freezers to choose from (discarding exterior finish differences):

Lg 23.73
LG 20.21
Whirlpool 21.08

If you'll notice, most of these are not distinguishable at all from the online specifications, and you will certainly not find them all in a store where you might be able to discern the minor feature differences.

Notice as well that some manufacturers don't appear at all in this model type.

Basically, if you shop for a top freezer model, you're mostly confining yourself to 10-15-year-old technology.

I'm not saying nobody should buy a top freezer refrigerator. My point from the beginning is that manufacturers predominantly discriminate against top freezer style and relegate it to lower-end technology.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
Midvalleydad, I'm leaning towards a top freezer with an ice maker, based on a bunch of things, including the space it's going in. It's a 1950 cape cod, so there's not a lot of extra space. It'll be on the entry wall in the kitchen, with the left side (as you're facing it ) abutting the counter, which is only about 26 inches deep.

I'm going to have a plumber come out to install a garbage disposal anyway, so I'll also ask him to put in the line for me. He's done work at the house I'm renting, so I already know and trust him.

Someone else here mentioned they usually buy mid-range appliances, and I think that's what I usually go for too (I had to buy a stove and a washing machine in the last place I rented). I may go Kenmore: other than the annoying vacuum cleaner I inherited (proprietary bags, grr), I've always had good results. But I'll still check out reviewsnon other brands.
Sounds very reasonable (I was one of the folks saying we go for midrange models) - a side note about the vacuum - If you can find out who made that particular model for Kenmore you would probably find out that bags are available under that brand name. Vacuum bags are always a pain all use proprietary bags it is just some models have a bigger market share and other folks make bags for them because there is enough market for them. You may be able to search on the internet and find the compatibility info. Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2014, 12:45 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan356 View Post
Labonte:

I have a Samsung counter depth side by side and about 14 months after buying it, the little "cubed ice" icon burnt out. So I called Samsung about repairing it (not that easy to repair since its a small LED light mounted directly to the PCB) and fixing it meant replacing the entire display unit. Cost: $300 for the part, $150 for the repair. I decided that I don't need the cubed ice icon that badly, but I think this is a good example of exactly what you describe: overly computerized, and not easy to repair. I dread the day when something more critical fails on it.

That said, Samsung is one of the only makers that makes a 24+ cubic foot side by side at counter depth, which is exactly what I need based on my kitchen layout. Terrific product, works beautifully, space efficient, energy efficient, looks great, but they really need to make the product easier (and cheaper) to repair. Meanwhile my old condo had a hotpoint stove and you could buy pretty much every single nut bolt and screw in that thing in the aftermarket for a reasonable price.
The good news is, if you call in for support, you do get someone in the US.. Their US call center is in upstate SC.. The bad news is.. You get someone who reads off a script. They hire what they can get, and what they can get is pretty bad.

One thing that Samsung does that I like is that if you register your product online, they extend your warranty by 6 months. I think more and more companies will do this.. Yeah, it gets you on the mailing lists, but, that extra 6 months warranty saves alot of people from being REALLY ticked off when something fails a month after the warranty expires.

On a big ticket item like a fridge... I'm a warranty person. I get the extended warranty. I don't want to put down, say, $2000 and in a year have to put out $300+ in repairs. I know i'll hear from the anti-warranty contingent, but.. That's me. I got an extended warranty on my first new car, and thank god I did.. it replaced 2 transmissions on it.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Fully agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Lowes is the first place I always shop because they give me a 10% discount. I

If you ask for only once modern technology feature, Energy Star, you get 21 models (again discarding exterior finish differences):
Frigidaire 16.5
Frigidaire 18.2
Frigidaire 18.3
Frigidaire 20.6
Frigidaire Gallery 18.3
Frigidaire Gallery 20.6
GE 16.5
GE 18
GE 20
GE 21
LG 20.21
LG 23.73
Maytag 17.5
Maytag 20.6
Whirlpool 17.6
Whirlpool 18.5
Whirlpool 19
Whirlpool 20.6
Whirlpool 21.08
Whirlpool 21.1
Whirlpool 21.2

f you break their online listing down by just two modern technology features--Energy Star compliance and LED lighting (LED lighting is easy...why would it not be installed across the board?)--you have just three full-size top-freezers to choose from (discarding exterior finish differences):

Lg 23.73
LG 20.21
Whirlpool 21.08

If you'll notice, most of these are not distinguishable at all from the online specifications, and you will certainly not find them all in a store where you might be able to discern the minor feature differences.

Notice as well that some manufacturers don't appear at all in this model type.

Basically, if you shop for a top freezer model, you're mostly confining yourself to 10-15-year-old technology.

I'm not saying nobody should buy a top freezer refrigerator. My point from the beginning is that manufacturers predominantly discriminate against top freezer style and relegate it to lower-end technology.

The manufacturers really make the the choices slim if you want anything that seems remotely "up to date" and you prefer a top freeezer. The thing too is that few sellers can tell a "top of the line" top freezer unit from a bargain unit and they often assume such a thing is "junk".

I specifically remember on time I had a really nice top of the line Amana in a home that I both used as a rental and lived in myself. The seller foolishly got new low end double door just days after moving. I swung by the old place before the garbage men collected that Amana. Darned thing lasted about another 15 years in y basement keeping drinks cool and giving more freezer space for parties and such...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House