Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 14,505 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I have a white/light pebble stone floor in my shower and bathroom. The pebbles in the shower area have become discolored due to dirt, carbonate deposits, etc. The pebbles in the rest of the bathroom are also unevenly cleaner or dirtier depending on the foot traffic in the room.

These pebbles were probably not coated over the course of time, and they should not have been white for a shower area in the first place. But, that is what it is.

Can anyone tell me what I should do to make this situation better? So far I have tried gentle cleaners, a little bit of bleach, and a pressure washer. I can get surface contaminants off pretty well, but the stones (and grout) are somewhat porous, so the general discoloring remains.

The pebble floor extends across the bathroom and comprises roughly 140 square feet. The dual shower is an open design with a center drain in the middle of the room, almost like something you would see in a gym or commerical setting. The whole floor, including up under the vanity and in the toilet area, is one big sloped pan/membrane.

I am willing to consider all options. If it matters, I am planning on selling this home this year. It is a high end property that will need to look presentable in the master bath at that time, but I don't care about trying to make something perfect for myself that will last 50 years, etc. I'm happy to do that it if turns out to also be cost effective, of course. I'd also be ecstatic to come up with a cosmetic fix or something simple that doesn't involve a $40k total gut and replace remodel.

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:01 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,930,023 times
Did you try a paste of Barkeeper's Friend or Zud? Both contain oxalic acid.

Try a small spot first.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Did you try a paste of Barkeeper's Friend or Zud? Both contain oxalic acid.

Try a small spot first.
I sure didn't, but that sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a go this weekend and report back!

Old 06-06-2014, 10:02 PM

153 posts, read 538,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbinco View Post
Hey all,

I have a white/light pebble stone floor in my shower and bathroom. The pebbles in the shower area have become discolored due to dirt, carbonate deposits, etc. The pebbles in the rest of the bathroom are also unevenly cleaner or dirtier depending on the foot traffic in the room.

Can anyone tell me what I should do to make this situation better? So far I have tried gentle cleaners, a little bit of bleach, and a pressure washer. I can get surface contaminants off pretty well, but the stones (and grout) are somewhat porous, so the general discoloring remains.

The pebble floor extends across the bathroom and comprises roughly 140 square feet. The dual shower is an open design with a center drain in the middle of the room, almost like something you would see in a gym or commerical setting. The whole floor, including up under the vanity and in the toilet area, is one big sloped pan/membrane.

I am willing to consider all options.

Help?
If you could post a picture of what it looks like? I might have a solution for you.

And a lot easier that what you are doing now and really not much more expensive. (no gutting)

Old 06-09-2014, 05:59 AM

153 posts, read 538,816 times
Default I'll show you what I did....

This is what I did...
Attached Thumbnails
Repair nature pebble stone flooring in shower?-before-n-after.jpg  

Old 10-14-2015, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,794 times
Hi! I was wondering if you had any good results with barkeeper's friend and/or zud?

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbudde View Post
Hi! I was wondering if you had any good results with barkeeper's friend and/or zud?

Thanks!
Not really. We ended up powerblasting it again and then repainting it with a white stain or overcoat of some type. (My contractor selected it and applied it, or I would be more specific.) It ended up making everything very white -- whiter than natural -- but that made it look clean and neat again, at least. We just wanted it to be in saleable condition, but honestly I would have been okay with it looking like that if I were to live with it as well. Much better than all grungy and stained-looking.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House