Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 03:38 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your account of your new-old house's "revival". I'm sending good wishes for the housewarming!

p.s. What are the dressers in the basement to which you referred? Are they pieces of furniture such as are generally used in bedrooms, or are they attached to the basement walls?? It sounds as if they held a few minor treasures! Can you post a photo of the Coke picture (along with a picture of the dressers?)

Last edited by CraigCreek; 07-19-2014 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 04:04 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your account of your new-old house's "revival". I'm sending good wishes for the housewarming!

p.s.

What are the dressers in the basement to which you referred? Are they pieces of furniture such as are generally used in bedrooms, or are they attached to the basement walls?? It sounds as if they held a few minor treasures! Can you post a photo of the Coke picture (along with a picture of the dressers?)

????? I am not sure what you are talking about.

Cat

Old 07-19-2014, 05:28 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
They are just dressers from the hotel across the street we wont use. Not antiques or anything. Ill post a pic of the coke pic later.

Housewarming party went well. We had 15 people here. We got a door wreath (with the house number on it someone made), a little " god bless this house" plate and $150 Home Depot giftcards. So needless to say we are now off to HD to get our 2 doors, a hard rake and not sure what else.
----------------

I dont know that im farther than anyone in all this. Really i dont feel like ive done much of anything. Then again i also feel like I dont have to get everything done all at move in, I know it will take time and sometimes multiple tries.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:46 PM

Got an accord. door for kitchen to upstairs doorway. Got an interior door for downstairs bedroom also. We also found skeleton keys at HD and got a pack of those. We tried them on all the doors and only the dining to kitchen opened because the rest are painted shut.
I did dutch the dining to kitchen door last night. I was going to hang that screen door the neighbor gave us but it was way too small. So instead of taking the door off the hinges, which i couldnt even if i wanted (again because everything is painted), i drew a line and cut with the saw. Its not straight but functional.

Hubby wanted a toy and got a dremel 4000, what we will do with it, i dont know but it made him happy.

HD depot trip for 2 doors, dremel, door handle, hinges, skeleton keys, plexi glass (because back screen door fell out), screws, and shims....$210-$150=$60 OOP.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:00 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
LOL a toy for DH. He can use it to strip the paint off of the door locks

Old 07-27-2014, 01:16 AM

I have been fiddling with the a/c and trying to figure it all out. When living in an apartment, you dont get the luxury of a thermostat. The landlord wants it on 85, its on 85.

Today had more rain which meant.....roof leak. Same spot but luckily we caught it and its just that one spot still. I would be more concerned if it was looking like swiss cheese around here. (knock on wood it doesnt!) Hubby and I are discussing options on it.

Nothing too exciting around the nieghborhood, its actually quiet, even with the highway and trains across the street. They are working on a street over and they have a giant sand pile across the street, which is funny because there is this guy who comes at 8am on his bike to gather sand. I dont know what he does with it, but hey it might make him happy. Put some dirt over there and I might magically find a shovel and it might disappear too! " No sir, i have no idea what happened to the city's dirt"

Still waiting on our deposit from our apartment. I know the landlord has until the 8th but i do wish hed hurry up!

We did find someone to buy our old portable washer and dryer. $200. I wish we didnt have to but it would just sit and thats silly.

No projects around here really to report.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:44 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
If a complete new roof is out of the question right now, you could just have a roofer patch the leaking area. But, if the whole roof is at the end of its life, that would be throwing good money after bad, IMO.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:56 PM

ohky, you have a sandnapper!!! LMAO

I can't tell you how many times we've passed piles of gravel on the road and wished for a skidsteer and dump truck!

Old 07-31-2014, 02:34 PM

Soon im going to tackle the popcorn issue.
My uncle popcorn'd the fireplace (just above the mantle) and going upstairs. All the ceilings are popcorn (except kitchen and i want to say upstairs but i dont feel like running up there to see at the second). Im not going to worry about those right now.

Why you would popcorn a wall i dont know, its annoying though. I also want to really see whats behind the chair railing in the bathroom. Is it original? Why in the bathroom? Really i need almost like a tub surround for near the tub. There no shower but if you splash water it splashes onto the chair railing and onto the tile floor behind the tub. Not sure on a solution.

As for the leaking roof, we have decided to repair from the inside and out. We are going to take down the drywall/plaster, look for any mold/issues/holes, etc and patch/replace/repair and then put new drywall up. Then we will try to get on the roof and see about the shingles and how to replace them.

On a side note I can tell the difference in paint. Whatever paint my great grandpa used was GOOD because its on everything like glue. You couldnt scrape or peel it if you wanted! However whatever crud my uncle used peels off like butter.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:53 PM

Good luck, ohky, be safe up on that roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House