Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:29 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,839,321 times

Advertisements

This is our old house! (built in 1920). The stuff in the pictures is the owners (a family member). I will gladly take ANY and ALL ideas you have for bringing character back into the house! The only pics I didnt get were of the garage and basement.

Backyard:

1/2 of porch:

Side Yard:

Upstairs Room for 8yr old (only 1 view):

Our Room (off living room connects to bathroom):

Floors (original floors)

Kitchen (fridge on other wall and sink on other wall)

Back patio:

Bathroom (clawfoot tub- connects to our room and kitchen)

Weird tiny door in each upstairs room:

Inside weird doors:

Upstairs room 6yr olds room (only 1 view)

Dining Room:

Pocket (used to be) now Sliding doors closing off living/dining:

Living (original fireplace (now gas))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 06:34 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
The hardwood looks like it needs tlc.

If it were me, the carpet needs to go, the tall cabinets in the bath need to go, and the island in the kitchen needs to go. Those would be top on my list.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
The hardwood looks like it needs tlc.

If it were me, the carpet needs to go, the tall cabinets in the bath need to go, and the island in the kitchen needs to go. Those would be top on my list.
I dont know much about taking care of hardwood. What would you recommend for care for it?

Yes we plan to remove the carpet, cabinets and island!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:50 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Did I see vinyl siding?

What are the cabinets in the bathroom?

Get the pocket doors back.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:52 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
Well I can't tell for sure what condition they are in, but if they are dull, scuffed or otherwise damaged, they would need resanding and resealing.

I love hardwood.

Do you know if there is hardwood under the rug?

Old 06-07-2014, 07:07 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Hire an architect.
Hire a landscape designer/architect.
Plan.
For a year plus.
Then renovate.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:18 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Hire an architect.
Plan.
For a year plus.
Then renovate.
Great advice. Especially wait a year. You can't really get the feel for an old house until four complete seasons. Then you'll have a better feeling about what works, what doesn't and what elements are intrinsic to the house and need to remain or be rehabilitated.

And as an architectural designer specializing in period houses such as yours I definitely appreciate the plug to hire a professional.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Did I see vinyl siding?

What are the cabinets in the bathroom?

Get the pocket doors back.
Yes vinyl. There is red brick, then green asbestos tiles, then siding.

The cabinets in the bathroom are the only storage. They have been there since the house was bought. They havent always blocked the door (door to our room). We plan to get rid of them. We will put up shelving.

Im not sure how i would do pocket doors but i plan to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Well I can't tell for sure what condition they are in, but if they are dull, scuffed or otherwise damaged, they would need resanding and resealing.

I love hardwood.

Do you know if there is hardwood under the rug?
There is hardwood under there. Im MORE interested to know if there is under the peel and stick in the kitchen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Hire an architect.
Plan.
For a year plus.
Then renovate.
Thanks.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:02 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,065 times
I've got weird tiny doors too -- for under-the-eave storage. Love the character on yours -- nice trim!

Have someone refinish all of the floors before you move in (if possible). Wish I had done that -- I used the "sandless" guys but didn't get near the same result as actual refinishing.

As for the peel & stick in the kitchen -- I had that in my old house. When I looked up in my basement, I could tell that the hardwood from the DR continued right on into the kitchen. Always wanted to take up those tiles, but never did. If you have a basement, you might be able to tell (or just pry up one of the tiles in an inconspicuous spot).

Paint the front porch after you've had all the other work done. Paint the porch railing white (looks like natural wood now).

Where't the front of the house???

Old 06-07-2014, 08:31 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Agree with other posters that say to live there for a year before committing to any major changes. The place has a lot of character to build on, but oh does it need a lot of work.

Figure out what major things need to be done and work cosmetics around them. For instance, our laundry room was a useless mess and gutting it was a high priority - but knowing the plumbing needs to be replaced I stuck with finishes that will be easy to work around or cheap to replace when the pipes come out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House