Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:15 PM

13 posts, read 24,483 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I wonder what the cost is for removing Asbestos shingles from a home in Bergen county NJ. I know that it's a bigger job due to the delicacy involved, since it is Asbestos. The home is an average sized single family 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. When the time comes ( in maybe 5 yrs) and I want to renovate/upgrade the exterior for a more modern look . I want to know what i'm looking to spend on this project
So to reiterate, my question is to understand the average cost of removal of these asbestos shingles in Bergen county, NJ.
If you know this info , or can guide me to a good place or person that can provide this estimate, I would be very grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 06:07 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Most of the time the new siding is applied directly over the old asbestos siding. In effect, encapsulating it.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:07 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
Asbestos Shingles on Your House? What to Do When They Need to be Replaced!

Asbestos Shingles on Your House? What to Do When They Need to be Replaced!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
I know someone who removed them himself, put them in medium cardboard boxes, and dumped the boxes in the dumpster at his condo (the home was a vacation place prior to hom moving there permanent.) Cost=zero + time and labor.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:32 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I know someone who removed them himself, put them in medium cardboard boxes, and dumped the boxes in the dumpster at his condo (the home was a vacation place prior to hom moving there permanent.) Cost=zero + time and labor.

There's nothing like someone encouraging others to break the law in order to save a dime!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Q. I have asbestos-containing siding, what should I do with it?
Asbestos-containing siding was commonly used as a building material. Asbestos siding is durable and generally not as hazardous as asbestos pipe or boiler insulation. Although some contractors insist on removing the siding before replacing it, there is no State requirement that the siding be removed before new siding is installed on the house. As an alternative, you can either paint or side over it. If you side over it, the new siding should be screwed in to avoid breakage of the asbestos-containing siding. Should renovations require the disturbance of asbestos siding, precautions should be taken to ensure that there are no fibers released during the removal (see the next question).

Q. What is the best way to remove asbestos-containing siding?
If it becomes necessary to remove the siding, it is recommended that it be removed with minimal breakage. To do this it should not be hammered, sawn, or dropped. Siding should be removed in whole pieces and then carried or lowered to the disposal area (instead of letting it drop to the ground). Siding will most likely break where it is fastened to the building, these areas should be moistened with water before attempting to remove the fasteners. Often a type of pliers, called “lineman’s pliers” can be used to cut off the heads of the nails. Fasteners may also be cut by inserting a reciprocating saw behind the shingle and carefully cutting it without damaging the shingle. The ground underneath the work area should be protected with heavy plastic (>= 6mil) in order to catch any debris that might inadvertently fall. Debris should be carefully removed from the plastic at the end of every workday. In NJ it is not required that a NJ licensed asbestos contractor remove this type of material. The only exception is if the building is to be demolished. For more information on this subject, please refer to the Indoor Environments Contacts page for information on how to contact the DOH.

Asbestos, Frequently Asked Questions, Indoor Environments Program, NJDOH

What law?

Old 06-22-2014, 07:41 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
I'll stick to the question at-hand-

You'll be looking at about $3.50-$5.00sq/ft.

Actual cost will be detrimined by actual size (hgt) of house, accessibility (ladders/scaffolding), and location proximity to an asbestos approved landfill.

Then of course, there's the opportunity to upgrade the home's insulation, installing new sheathing, and whatever the new cladding will be- vinyl, Hardi, etc.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,790 times
In our state you are also allowed to remove it yourself but there are requirements for how it is disposed of--it has to be wrapped & sealed in a particular mil of plastic, then placed in a labeled box I believe & delivered to the landfill.

I really hate seeing vinyl siding over asbestos, but it's done all the time. If you want to make other changes, like updating windows or constructing an addition, you'd be cutting through that hidden asbestos.

I've been told it's really not that big of a deal to remove asbestos siding, and less risky than many of the other forms asbestos is found in throughout a house (it can be in the walls, in ceiling tiles, in flooring, etc.)

Old 06-22-2014, 11:26 AM

13 posts, read 24,483 times
This is all helpful guys. Thanks so much .
I was under the impression that it was a HUGE , I mean really HUUUGE project that would cost me a good 20K-30K to simply remove the asbestos siding......according to what a friend told me. Either way when the time comes, I will consult a NJ licensed asbestos contractor for sure. It's better to get certain thing done professionally, especially when dealing with something this sensitive and hazardous.
I felt that I had to ask since i couldn't sleep thinking about that 20-30K.
The home really isn't that big , it's an average two story 3 bedroom home. The shingles are in good shape, but in about 5 years, I'd like to upgrade it to maybe a stucco and brick panel finish. The interior was renovated in 2011 and the exterior just seems outdated when compared to the interior.
Thanks again everyone!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:30 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
I've known several who have removed asbestos shingles. They wore white, disposable haz mat suits and masks and were careful to not break the shingles as much as possible. Not that big a deal. It's not like you have a whole bunch of fine threads floating through the air.

Disposal can be a bit of challenge. Need to wrap and box it a certain way and take it to certain places.

They date a house, are difficult to deal with if you are replacing windows or doing other remodeling. If you can get rid of them, I'd encourage you to do so.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House