Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:21 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times

Advertisements

I tried the vinegar in the dishwasher today .... seems everything came out really clear .. especially since i ran out of that DripDry stuff -- whatever it's called.

went shopping today and DH bought a half gal of Wd-40 ... i may try the shower door track cleaning and see how that goes.

and baking soda... gotta love it!! i buy the 14# bags at Sams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 01:26 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
Have drip-less candles that drip...take some newsprint or a clean cloth and a warm iron; place on waxed area, iron and gone are those clumps of wax (on furniture).

Old 12-18-2007, 01:41 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
I've put a whole load of dishes that shouldn't go into the dishwasher because of the abrasive nature of dishwasher detergent, but instead of detergent, I poured a cup of white vinegar and a cup of baking soda in and ran a quick cycle. They came out sparkling and no damage. I do the same thing with the glass globes on my chandelier and light fixtures that get a film of dust that won't dust off - they come out sparkling.

Don't go spraying WD-40 on stuff inside the house. The vapors are not good for you and your house will stink. Now, the lemon oil idea - would do the same thing but smell great.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Default Vinegar - don't you love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Plain ol' shaving cream (not gel -- think Barbasol) will get grease out of just about anything. If it's clothing, squirt a little on the stain, then toss in the washer. If it's upholstery, use as little as possible, and wipe off with rags dampened first with vinegar, then water.

Also, use vinegar instead of Jet Dry in the dishwasher. It's loads cheaper, and isn't full of icky chemicals.

To keep your drains flowing freely, dump 1 C of salt (baking soda also works well, and you get the added benefit of a neato "explosion") down the drain, followed by 1C of vinegar. Let it sit for awhile -- the time it takes to boil a kettle of water. Dump a kettle full of boiling water down the drain. I do this about once a month. Works wonders! And no chemicals!

ETA: Anyone know what's in CLR? It kinda scares me ...
CLR kind of scares me, too. I made the mistake of getting some on my shower - the metal part - and it did something to it (the metal around the glass door). It dulled it and I never could get it to shine again (no longer in that house- wonder if the new owner figured out how to fix it . . . ) So I would be very careful w/ it. I have had to use it every so often but I try to never let things get to that point as the stuff has so many warnings on it.

Now for the Vinegar instead of Jet Dry - just fill up the little dispenser w/ Vinegar? That is a wonderful idea! I LOVE IT!!!! Thank you soooo much!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Here is one of my favorites!!!!

You are not gonna believe this one. My dear friend gave me this suggestion several years ago when I got my new puppy.

To clean up piddle puddles, all you do is use Spray 'N Wash! You just dab up the moisture first, then you get the Spray N Wash and spray the area down really well. Wait about 5 mins, come back and use a towel to gently rub the area and dab up any remaining wet areas.

Then spray it again and walk away! This is the most amazing thing you have experienced. The SNW kills the odor and leaves a fresh smell. And the unbelievable part is - you know how when you use a commercial cleaner - like a spray on carpet cleaner - it dries and later seems to attract more dirt and even sometimes feels greasy? Well, SNW just disappears - does not attract dirt and I have never had a problem w/ fading or taking color out!

It has a pleasant odor and I really mean it - kills the doggie urine smell. I have bought bottles of all kinds of stuff to clean doggie piddle spots and also the odor - and I threw them out.

Oh - I also now use SNW as my carpet spot cleaner. Never attracts the dirt back and even coffee - just spray it, leave it a few minutes, come back and gently rub - spray again . . . and when you come back - the spot will probably be totally gone. Repeat if any still remains.

I can't wait to hear what the rest of you say about this!

Old 12-19-2007, 05:36 AM

I've used Spray n Wash on the piddle and it does clean the carpet. The problem is that it gets into the pad and the subfloor and the errant dog can smell it. I can't but she can and goes there again. I use paper towel to soak up as much as I can, then pour white vinegar to soak the area, and blot it up with paper towels again a couple of times. But like any carpet, it is basically an uncleanable surface and when I take it out, I will have to seal the subfloor to really get rid of the odors. Terriers!

Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I've put a whole load of dishes that shouldn't go into the dishwasher because of the abrasive nature of dishwasher detergent, but instead of detergent, I poured a cup of white vinegar and a cup of baking soda in and ran a quick cycle.
Thanks for that one. Great idea.

I know powdered dishwasher detergent works best, but it's ruined more than a few glasses, etc., that I've had over the years. Gel doesn't clean as well, but then again how dirty are most of my dishes, really?

Old 12-19-2007, 09:46 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
OH speaking of cleaning carpets.

I use vinegar in the "detergent" container. It really did seem to make a difference on cleaning. I have those dirty 'traffic areas' .... so i tried vinegar instead of the 'carpet solution' and i really think it made a difference.

I will have to try SNW, since between teenagers and a dog ... i have dirt spots everywhere ... and so much for "no eating or drinking" in your rooms [i tell the kids] they never listen. I still have to get their carpets clean .... and i'll try the spot cleaning with SNW first.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Clean carpet w/ vinegar? Upholstery, too??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
OH speaking of cleaning carpets.

I use vinegar in the "detergent" container. It really did seem to make a difference on cleaning. I have those dirty 'traffic areas' .... so i tried vinegar instead of the 'carpet solution' and i really think it made a difference.

I will have to try SNW, since between teenagers and a dog ... i have dirt spots everywhere ... and so much for "no eating or drinking" in your rooms [i tell the kids] they never listen. I still have to get their carpets clean .... and i'll try the spot cleaning with SNW first.
Now, do you spray the vinegar on? I wasn't sure what you mean by using it in the detergent container. I love vinegar b/c it is natural so I am ready to try it. Also, have you tried it to spot clean furniture fabric? Or should I just stick to Spray N Wash for spots on furniture?

I am embarrassed to tell this story, BUT I do need help. My dog wipes her face on my sofas and on one wing chair after she eats/drinks!!! So I have the furniture in the family room covered w/ towels that I can wash every week. But she also sneaks into the living room if I don't catch her in time! And wipes her face on my french tapestry sofa!!! And my gorgeous wing chair!!!! (I know - this is truly awful - prized furniture). I have tried SNW on the areas she has soiled and I am not getting very far. The problem w/ the sofa is - the cushions have leather trim - so the one time I have had them cleaned - I had to send to dry cleaner - and I really have my doubts how clean they actually got the fabric (due to care taken w/ the leather trim) And it was over $100 to do. (BAD DOGGIEEEEEEE!!!!!)

Any ideas to clean that sofa and chair - I am willing to take apart, do by hand, whatever.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:59 PM

For me, life with pets means I got sheets in a design I liked and I tie and tuck them in the furniture to make covers. They get dirty and into the washer and they are clean again. If I have guests, off they come and the furniture is clean. Plus it doesn't wear as much either. I don't have any good tricks for cleaning the upholstery. I figured prevention was a better strategy.

I'm guessing the note on putting the vinegar in the detergent bin is for one of those steam carpet cleaners. I have one of those and it works pretty well. I have put vinegar in the detergent and the water supply bins to do a good rinse for my disgusting carpets. With the pet stains, I need the detergent first tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House