Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,397,388 times

Advertisements

Borax is great. My parents used to use it in our dime store in containers under our candy counters to repel bugs away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:35 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,145,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
I haven't read all the posts, so sorry if it's here already. Two things I can't do without:microfiber cloths and Borax. Borax cleans everything in the dishwasher 100% better. I don't even care which dishwashing powder I use (I always buy the cheapest) it gets everything clean and even shines copper. This is on top of the cheap dishwasher I have. It's the one tip I give to everyone...everyone. You can use it (sprinkled around the house) to kill fleas and ticks also.
What do you use the microfiber cloths for?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:38 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,753,407 times
oh heavens... i use them for all types of cleaning, even washing dishes. They are the best.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,753,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL! Well, I started the thread and have pretty much kept up with it all along. I would be glad to categorize it, but would assume a Moderator would have to take the task on. I have put a lot of time into this thread and pretty much know what is on it, tho. I have been so proud of the responses - so many wonderful, innovative and tried and true tips.
Sometimes it's a lot to sort thru, plus the bit of chatter... but whenever i need to find a way to clean something... this is where i come.

ani -- you did such a great job on this!! I have learned a lot ... now i have to get a bottle of Pine Sol for these nasty grease stains.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,281,693 times
I'd like to add my thanks, anifani821, for your contributions. I'm guilty of not always remembering to say thank you but I've learned a lot from this thread.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:18 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,681,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
oh heavens... i use them for all types of cleaning, even washing dishes. They are the best.
After purchasing some of the microfiber (microterry) clothes a few years ago, I would have a hard time living without them. I've replaces all of my dishclothes with them, use them for my shop rags and everything else around the house. Wonderful things...I'd never go back to regular terry cloth rags.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 PM

422 posts, read 1,467,155 times
those microfiber cloths are a great invention!!

not sure if it has been mentioned before....but a quick & effective way to clean mirrors/windows is to dilute 1 part white vinegar with 2 parts water & then spray on mirrors/windows before wiping down with a microfiber cloth.

you don't have to wipe dry completely as the vinegar solution would evaporate and leaving no water marks at all. it's very effective and it has no chemicals at all!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,119,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
those microfiber cloths are a great invention!!

not sure if it has been mentioned before....but a quick & effective way to clean mirrors/windows is to dilute 1 part white vinegar with 2 parts water & then spray on mirrors/windows before wiping down with a microfiber cloth.

you don't have to wipe dry completely as the vinegar solution would evaporate and leaving no water marks at all. it's very effective and it has no chemicals at all!
I'm sorry but if you follow above with vineger and water on a glass door and open the door in the sunlight you will quickly see that the door "must" be squeegied. Heres some help......the best bet for glass is
1 part 70% rubbing alchohol a drop of dish soap and 8-10 parts water.
this will eliminate the "waxy" build up from previous cleaning with soap that you can't readily see. A squeegy is almost the only shure way but can be done with a brand new or almost new micro fibre. A friend of mine
came 3rd in the world for window washing and watchin and gettin tips was a real treat....also heres a tip.....
When doing windows , "avoid wetting more than 1/2 inch to the window frame" then when you squeegy the rubber will not catch in the almost certain deviation of the frame itself and restrict all drip

Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 PM

15,853 posts, read 34,999,650 times
When I worked for a large condo resort in Branson, Missouri, I learned that the BEST thing to clean a bathtub with is good old, fashioned green Palmolive liquid.

Put some on a non-abrasive scrubby pad and get it wet and go all over the tub with it and then rinse well with clear water. It gets rid of bathtub ring instantly with no scouring or rubbing at all. It's a miracle!

If you feel uncomfortable about not using disinfectant cleaner on a bathtub, after you clean it with Palmolive, you can go over it lightly with a disinfectant cleaner if you want, but as far as cleaning? nothing works better than Palmolive (wash basin too!)

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-11-2010, 08:24 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,119,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When I worked for a large condo resort in Branson, Missouri, I learned that the BEST thing to clean a bathtub with is good old, fashioned green Palmolive liquid.

Put some on a non-abrasive scrubby pad and get it wet and go all over the tub with it and then rinse well with clear water. It gets rid of bathtub ring instantly with no scouring or rubbing at all. It's a miracle!

If you feel uncomfortable about not using disinfectant cleaner on a bathtub, after you clean it with Palmolive, you can go over it lightly with a disinfectant cleaner if you want, but as far as cleaning? nothing works better than Palmolive (wash basin too!)

20yrsinBranson
Ya theres something anout that green palmolive thats unique. Its the drop of soap I prefer for cleaning glass. Being really lazy I'm gonna try and
set up a sprayer for the bathtub with a high concentration of the palmolive..then I won't have to bend and just spray. If it doesn't work
then I'll buy some white liquid industrial bowl cleaner and fix a sprayer
on the heavy duty container. Thanks for reminding me about gettin
on top of the bath tub
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House