Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 12:41 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times

Advertisements

I use tennis balls in my dryer and they work very well and I have had the same set of tennis balls for two years now so I can imagine how much money I have saved in not having to buy dryer sheets and the clothes are just as soft and they were with the dryer sheets .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 06:20 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
what about getting rid of brown stains around bathroom sink drain? the cleaners don't seem to work.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:33 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Rub shaving cream on a mirror and wipe it off to keep it from fogging.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:14 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
what about getting rid of brown stains around bathroom sink drain? the cleaners don't seem to work.
oxy-clean make a paste let sit rinse. Stains gone.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:21 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Keep unperfumed baby wipes in your kitchen. great for worktops, inside the fridge , round door handles on cabinets and around the computer keyboard.. also good for venetian blind cleaning..
They also are great for cleaning up spots on carpeting or stains. As hard as I try, every time
I wear a white shirt or top, I get a stain and those baby wipes remove it (the stain) every time.

Uses for bread clips:
http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/60/02...clips.w654.jpg

They also come in handy when I buy carrots that are in a plastic bag that is sealed. After opening
the bag, I twist (the bag) and use the clip.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:57 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
These:

eat these:

and these:

Old 07-13-2016, 02:00 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Rub shaving cream on a mirror and wipe it off to keep it from fogging.
Or blow a hairdryer on the mirror after your shower and it defogs in seconds.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:49 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
To whiten tub grout, place paper towels soaked in bleach along the grout overnight. The grout will become vivid white.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:07 PM

20 posts, read 56,231 times
1) Put this inside your dryer "2 tennis balls inside the socks" - it works wonders
2) Put 1 cup of baking soda in your soiled clothes (don't put it in the detergent compartment) when you're doing your laundry
3) For clogged sinks - put 1 cup baking soda.. let is sit for 2 mins.. and put 1 cup of warm vinegar = chemical reaction but you'll love the results.

this last part is what truly amazes me

**Don't use fabric softeners! - they'll just coat the fibers with wax. Try this instead - in the fabcon compartment of your washing machine - put 1 cup of distilled vinegar (or any white vinegar that has 5% acid solution) and put 6 drops of lavander oil in it. <-- i swear by this as your clothes smells better than any fabcon i've tried and your clothes are waaay softer than before. This is what i used for certain fabrics and i have to thank my fellow mates in Upholstery King for teaching me this!

Old 09-01-2016, 06:35 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,430,429 times
For pet issues, we use Wee Cleaner (only available online). It kills the odor so the pet does not return to that spot and use it again. Blot up as much pet leavings as you can, then saturate the area (so it gets down to the subfloor) with Wee Cleaner, and let it dry. Easy, and it does work.

Dishwasher: Lemi Shine and detergent gel as the normal cleaners. White vinegar and baking soda when using dishwasher to clean crystal, light fixture globes, etc.

After appliance cleaning (especially where water is involved): Any high quality lemon furniture polish (I prefer Formby's or Old English) sprayed on and buffed.

Sink disposal cleaning: baking soda and vinegar. Occasionally we grind orange, lemon or lime peels to clean and freshen.

Septic system concerns: Someone earlier mentioned using a bunch of salt or bleach as cleaners. Very bad idea for septic systems. Baking soda and vinegar are much better choices.

Cleaning cast iron: chain mail scrubber and hot water.

Mopping floors: Steam mop with vinegar in the detergent bay, or in the water if it has no detergent bay. Due to the high mineral content in our local water, we have to use distilled water in the steam mop so it doesn't clog.

Cleaning off baked on food from aluminum, stainless steel, glass and ceramic cookware: Barkeeper's Friend, a plastic scrubber, and some elbow grease. I've gotten most of it off my MIL's Wearever roasting pan we inherited. Looks almost new.

Love this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House