Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times

Advertisements

On another thread, I mentioned that I use Weiman's Lemon Oil as a way to "wax" my stainless steel appliances (after washing and drying them). Then you only have to touch up the lemon oil application every so often . . . and you don't have to wash the doors and handles as often, either.

I also mentioned that after I clean the shower, I apply the Lemon Oil, as the water beads up on it and it keeps calcium and lime from building up-especially nice on shower doors.

So I thought . . . what other "secrets" do others have that can be shared w/ the rest of us?

Here is another one: if you have lost an item on the floor somewhere, but aren't sure where, and you need to vacuum, put an old hose over the nozzle so that the piece of jewelry (or whatever) doesn't get sucked into the vac.

Squirt Clorox II on your grout, let it sit, then rinse after about 30 mins and it will clean your grout - no scrubbing.

If you have brass light fixtures outside, coat them w/ car wax to keep them bright and shiny.

I hope others of you will contribute some "secrets!!!!" Also, any short-cuts that make a chore easier, or products that work especially well.

Moderator Note: Due to popular request, Pssssst! Household Secrets!!! has been elevated to "Sticky" status...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-29-2008 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Moderator Note..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 06:33 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,753,013 times
I read this a month or so ago;

keeping your dish rags clean [of that moldy, bacteria oder] pop it in the microwave.

a lil side story -- I'd leave for a few days and when i came home, the kids would never wring the water out of it, and just leave it in the sink ... it always stinked to high heavens when i got home. so this nuking it really kills the stench.

I would first rinse it and add a lil bit of soap ... nuke it for a minute, and after it was done "cooking" i'd wipe down the inside of the wave, since all that junk [the kids] left behind was now loosened.

I'll think of more later ...

anifani -- thanks for starting this great "secret" thread

**need tips for getting a shower stall back to "brand new" clean; water spots, lime, soap scum, etc.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:19 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,226,325 times
I've got rust and lime in my water and use CLR on the shower. I put it in a spray bottle and spray it on. It rarely needs any scrubbing, just rinse after an hour or so, or the next time you take a shower. I've been pretty pleased with the scrubbing bubbles automatic shower cleaner (anything that means I don't have to clean it is a good thing). I think the solution is citric acid based and that works pretty well on lime deposits and rust. I'm going to try the lemon oil too.

I always hang up my dish cloth so it doesn't stay wet. A dry cloth can't grow bacteria. Never use sponges for that reason.

I use white vinegar and baking soda for almost all cleaning. Then Barkeeper's friend for tough stains.

And then there's the iRobot Roomba. Love my little cleaning robot!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:24 PM

371 posts, read 2,023,118 times
How about car wax on the shower walls? It definitely makes the water bead and you have that "new car smell" to boot! It does really work.

Keep em' comming. I love these helpful hints with Helo.... Don't want any copywright infringements.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Here's a few more of my favorites . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
How about car wax on the shower walls? It definitely makes the water bead and you have that "new car smell" to boot! It does really work.

Keep em' comming. I love these helpful hints with Helo.... Don't want any copywright infringements.
Use toothpaste to (1) take off crayon marks - use sponge and gently work into paint and (2) use a dab of paint to fill in holes in the wall if you take a picture down!

Also - a good stainless steel needle (sewing needle) can be hammered into the wall and hold a picture or mirror that weighs up to 35 lbs!!! Must use a good needle, not a cheap one! This is really good to hang wreaths on your walls this time of year.

Last edited by brokensky; 12-16-2007 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 12-16-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Tesaje! Roomba and Scooba!!!

DH and I broke down and bought a Scooba for Christmas! Got it $100 less than I have ever seen one b/f . . .and free shipping. We have all hardwood floors downstairs and w/ our dog . .. the floors stay nasty. I drive myself nuts trying to keep those floors shiny and free of doggie prints.

The Scooba performs way over our expectations! It is great on tile in the bathroom, too. We don't have a Roomba but just had to tell you - we are totally thrilled w/ our Scooba. Just fill it up w/ water and vinegar and let her go! (Yes, we have decided Scooba is a GIRL). The floors looked buffed when Scooba is finished. We are just amazed.

This has cut back on housework considerably. We sweep up any leaves that have been tracked in and then let Scooba go . . . she picks up the rest of the crumbs, dust, and then mops the floor - and then dries them.

So yes, I agree w/ you - haven't used Roomba but wow - we are totally pleased w/ Scooba! We figure for $200 - this will be worth every penny week after week - less than we pay in a year for HBO and STARZ!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:50 PM

41,695 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Plain ol' shaving cream (not gel -- think Barbasol) will get grease out of just about anything. If it's clothing, squirt a little on the stain, then toss in the washer. If it's upholstery, use as little as possible, and wipe off with rags dampened first with vinegar, then water.

Also, use vinegar instead of Jet Dry in the dishwasher. It's loads cheaper, and isn't full of icky chemicals.

To keep your drains flowing freely, dump 1 C of salt (baking soda also works well, and you get the added benefit of a neato "explosion") down the drain, followed by 1C of vinegar. Let it sit for awhile -- the time it takes to boil a kettle of water. Dump a kettle full of boiling water down the drain. I do this about once a month. Works wonders! And no chemicals!

ETA: Anyone know what's in CLR? It kinda scares me ...

Old 12-17-2007, 02:12 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,769,158 times
I love and use the baking soda vinegar one all the time-like a science experiment.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:28 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,198,514 times
Don't want to have a problem with copywrite infringments and I'm not even sure what all that covers so just go to Google and type in "WD40 uses"----totally amazing!! I received the list in an email months back and it seems endless and with things we need nearly everyday.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Hydrogen peroxide!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I love and use the baking soda vinegar one all the time-like a science experiment.
Mix baking soda w/ hydrogen peroxide for toothpaste!

Reminds me of another hint!!! Those runners - whatever you call them - those metal thingies on shower doors and sliding doors?????

Here is the easiest method I have ever found for cleaning them - even when they are really really nasty! Just pour hydrogen peroxide on them. Let that sit and bubble. Then come back about 10 minutes later w/ a cleaning brush - and the goop will all come up very easily! Just rinse and you are done - NO SCRUBBING!!!

Hey - once the runners dry - wonder if you could then spray them w/ WD-40????? Hmmmmm. Or wax them w/ car wax . . . to keep the build up from coming back as quickly???? Anyone tried that?

Last edited by brokensky; 12-18-2007 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: left out word!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House