Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 05:46 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,304,317 times

Advertisements

My husband and I volunteered to to remodel my stepdaughter's kitchen if she bought the material. It is a pretty straightforward remodel…I hope, lol.

She is in a doublewide and we have never ripped out cabinets from one of those before. We are not sure how the tearing out will go. Anyway my stepdaughter will have the cabinets, the tile counters, the new sink and the new range hood on site.

We need to tear out the old, get rid of it, and clean up. Move out the appliances and take apart the old sink and plumbing. Then it's time for the install. The are 18 upper and lower cabinets with a few fillers, two countertops and an Island top. Then we have cut out the counter for the sink and install that, the range hood with a vent that needs an adapter to be installed since it is offset, and the dishwasher and plumbing hook up.

Oh yeah and we are not super young anymore. DH is 56 and I am 47. My stepdaughter will help but she has never done a kitchen before.

She thinks we are wonder woman and wonder man. So how long should this take working 6-8 hours each day?

Last edited by ylisa7; 06-26-2014 at 06:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,039,652 times
First off I have only seen a handful of "manufactured housing" but those I have seen tend to have METAL studs and a layer of chipboard sheathing instead of wood 2X4 and plywood sheathing. This makes them less rigid, more of a risk of damaging things during demo and generally will require that you go VERY SLOW so that you do not tear up the walls so badly that you end up needing to rebuild... Roofs of manufacturing are very different than stick built homes, I don't know if all exhaust hoods are rated for such use. If you are planning on sidewall exhaust make sure that there no chance for damage of siding...

I would probably read all the stuff I could find and seek out some video info as well as maybe tracking down the manufacturing company that built the double wide that your daughter owns to get some advice about safest / best way to remove old kitchen and make the space ready for the new stuff / upgraded hood. If you end up tearing up the metal studs you could need to literally build false walls all around, that will rob space and complicate electrical and plumbing hook ups.

Allocate at least two days for removal. Plan on cleaning the place with a good shop vac and damp sponge mop with a disinfecting type cleaner. Then make sure the walls are square and floor is level before you start to install nailers / cleats for the upper cabinets. Get those in place, install the base cabinets and that probably will be end of another day or two. I hope that you don't need to "fudge" the fit of the counter too much, though manufactured housing usually starts out more "square" than stick built over time it can get out of kilter. Would have been better to have that made to order with templates taken after base cabinets were installed. Along with plumbing and appliances that is another couple of days.

If no snags this is 7 days. Taking it slow maybe 10. If you don't get advice ahead of time maybe two weeks or more...

Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 AM

chet-thanks for your helpful and detailed reply. My stepdaughter thinks it will all only take a day so she is not planning on using paper products to eat off of and has no plans of a temp kitchen area. I'm trying to tell her that that is just not how things go…even when they go smooth. My Dh told me not to say anything more as she will might get mad and think we are picking on her.

I am looking forward to the project as I do like doing the work but I know it takes time.

Thanks…I will see if I can find out from the manufacturer about the studs…and here I was more worried about all the glue they use.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 AM

592 posts, read 1,471,474 times
A day! haha! if she is that out of touch you need to run. :-)
I would not start a thing until she understands its a week minimum work, if not... by the third day tensions will be very very high and affect everything else.

What about electric and plumbing? Is everything going back in the exact same place?

Were the cabinets custom to the the space (Home depot design) or just bought off the shlef premade.... cause that would make me think you'll churn days just figuring out how to get everything in there.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
A day! haha! if she is that out of touch you need to run. :-)
I would not start a thing until she understands its a week minimum work, if not... by the third day tensions will be very very high and affect everything else.

What about electric and plumbing? Is everything going back in the exact same place?

Were the cabinets custom to the the space (Home depot design) or just bought off the shlef premade.... cause that would make me think you'll churn days just figuring out how to get everything in there.
She's a good kid, she just thinks everything is easy.

Thankfully everything is going back in the same place. Plumbing…well it seems you always end up needed an extra part or two after you start the job, lol.

She bought the cabinets online. They are put together. Thankfully she is going to do that before we get start although my Dh and I will be getting the delivery and taking them to her house. That will be a big enough job in itself. Yes she is concerned about space but there isn't much to be done about crowded rooms

Old 06-26-2014, 08:21 AM

17,680 posts, read 29,620,546 times
3 weeks

Old 06-26-2014, 08:39 AM

7,222 posts, read 7,004,568 times
A day?????

Omg, the demo alone will take that.

We had professionals redo our kitchen. It took a week. Two younger guys removed cabinets, appliances, countertops and floors. Redid them all. We had 14 cabinets and installing them took almost two days. They did all the plumbing but contracted out the countertop install to granite pros.

If you are not doing floors I think you might get it done in ten to fourteen days, assuming no problems at all.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:11 AM

17,435 posts, read 65,668,405 times
2-1/2 people-

2days easily for you guys- this is old hat for y'all. Kinda make me wonder why you would ask(?)

Old 06-26-2014, 09:50 AM

51,580 posts, read 25,565,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
chet-thanks for your helpful and detailed reply. My stepdaughter thinks it will all only take a day so she is not planning on using paper products to eat off of and has no plans of a temp kitchen area. I'm trying to tell her that that is just not how things go…even when they go smooth. My Dh told me not to say anything more as she will might get mad and think we are picking on her.
Picking on her? Where did that come from?

As others have said. It will take a day or two to remove everything and get it cleaned up. Need to be careful not to ruin things.

Then several days to install the cabinets and countertops, reconnect the plumbing, etc.. Throw in a couple more days to deal with the unexpected and you have 7 - 10 days.

If she doesn't want to use paper products or set up a temp kitchen in a bedroom, fine. But then somebody needs to make steady runs for take-out.

At the minimum, you need an ice chest for drinks and snacks. A microwave would be handy. Also a crock pot.

But where did this "picking on her" come from? That's what I want to know.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:39 AM

8,077 posts, read 10,010,127 times
I would allow two weeks, given what you have said. It won't be constant, but can surely extend to that period of time while you wait for finishes/grout etc. to dry and are ready for the next step.

Manufactured housing.....guaranteed, you won't find lurking in those walls what you expect to find....... Add a couple of days just for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House