Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 PM

253 posts, read 654,869 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Ever since I started living in my current home (bought 2010), the central AC has always been very weak on the 1st floor. There is a 2 degree difference between upstairs and downstairs, warmer down than up. I always get my AC unit inspected for the pre-season inspections and ask every technician, and all of them report that the AC is blowing cold enough air and everything looks good. But it just seems weird if everything is working great, then why is one section so much warmer than the other?

On the first floor of my house, the living room and dining room are open. I have a kitchen that has 2 doors, which I do keep closed to prevent my bad kitty from destroying everything within. (he chews and eats EVERYTHING..) Could just keeping the kitchen door closed make that much of a difference? I also keep my upstairs bathroom and guest room doors closed and it isn't nearly as warm up there.

I have a 1940's house with a Spacepak 3-ton AC system.

Thoughts?? One tech suggested keeping all doors open. Another suggested adding another return on the 1st floor (the return is on the 2nd floor hall).

I'm just not very confident on hiring another HVAC tech who will say the same things again.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 10:51 PM

153 posts, read 540,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon75 View Post
Hi,

Ever since I started living in my current home (bought 2010), the central AC has always been very weak on the 1st floor. There is a 2 degree difference between upstairs and downstairs, warmer down than up. I always get my AC unit inspected for the pre-season inspections and ask every technician, and all of them report that the AC is blowing cold enough air and everything looks good. But it just seems weird if everything is working great, then why is one section so much warmer than the other?

On the first floor of my house, the living room and dining room are open. I have a kitchen that has 2 doors, which I do keep closed to prevent my bad kitty from destroying everything within. (he chews and eats EVERYTHING..) Could just keeping the kitchen door closed make that much of a difference? I also keep my upstairs bathroom and guest room doors closed and it isn't nearly as warm up there.

I have a 1940's house with a Spacepak 3-ton AC system.

Thoughts?? One tech suggested keeping all doors open. Another suggested adding another return on the 1st floor (the return is on the 2nd floor hall).

I'm just not very confident on hiring another HVAC tech who will say the same things again.

Thanks in advance.
Look for a "working" licensed HVAC contractor in your area. Explain your problem in detail as well as telling him your experiences with HVAC techs opinions.

The difference is experience... Technicians are tomorrow's licensed HVAC contractors. The problem is in many locations there is no level to ascertain what one tech knows over another and they are only able to work under an HVAC license holder.

You may have your work cut out for you finding a "working" HVAC contractor. The norm in this business is to hire the cheapest labor you can find and the contractor sit behind a desk barking orders to fix this or that or worse yet send a "field supervisor" which is really nothing more than code to "send a different technician." (yeah I used to be one of them there thinga ma jiggies.) LOL, those were the days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House