Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,486 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have read the posts and tried everything suggested but my outside outlets still do not work. I have checked every outlet in the house I can find, basement, attic, outside, garage, etc and I cannot find a GFI that is off. All the outlets in the the house, garage etc have power, except the outside outlets. I think I have found the breaker but I am not sure. The breaker tag says 6FI, could be GFI, but looks like a 6. Anyway 6FI at Panel & OSR. This is a 20amp circuit. I don't know what "at panel" means. I have two master panels in the basement and I have looked all over the house for another panel but I cannot find one. I am at a loss and don't know what else to try. By the way the Outside outlets quit working when I tried to use a Masterbuilt Smoker. Help, any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 11:00 AM

23,519 posts, read 69,907,878 times
Set every breaker in the panels to off. If one of them doesn't seem to require any pressure to move to off, pull it back to on and then force it to the off position. Then flip the breakers back on one by one while someone is near an outdoor outlet that they have plugged an electric light into. When the lamp goes on, you'll have an idea as to which breaker controls the outside outlets.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:05 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,213,243 times
Turn off and then on every breaker - just because! Breakers which are tripped look like they are on.

Then as a rule the GFCI outlet in the garage will be behind a freezer or the largest pile of boxes. Find it and press "Reset".

Press "Reset" on every GFCI outlet you can find. Kitchen, bathrooms, garage, attic, basement, and outside (look behind bushes for outlets).

Note it is because of problems like this that I think "downstream outlets" should not be allowed to be connected to GFCI outlets. Only GFCI breakers should be used or separate GFCI outlets installed at each outlet location where required.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:23 PM

3,027 posts, read 7,886,956 times
I am planning on putting GFCI's at electrical panel and disconnecting two wire from panel and connecting to GFCI,run new wire to panel and new duplex's,labeled according to code in downstream fashion.There are 4 15 amp circuits involved.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:11 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,810,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Set every breaker in the panels to off. If one of them doesn't seem to require any pressure to move to off, pull it back to on and then force it to the off position. Then flip the breakers back on one by one while someone is near an outdoor outlet that they have plugged an electric light into. When the lamp goes on, you'll have an idea as to which breaker controls the outside outlets.
What he said, but instead of a light use a radio turned up loud..! Saves needing two people and lots of running back and forth...

Old 07-06-2014, 09:49 AM

23,519 posts, read 69,907,878 times
I used the lamp because I was playing with the visual pun "When the lamp goes on, you'll have an idea " (as in comic books when someone has an idea) A radio would work fine ... unless you tuned to a shock jock.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,810,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I used the lamp because I was playing with the visual pun "When the lamp goes on, you'll have an idea " (as in comic books when someone has an idea) A radio would work fine ... unless you tuned to a shock jock.
I will accept your explanation because I enjoyed your pun... sans the shock jock...

Old 07-06-2014, 07:46 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,551,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacusg View Post
Hi everyone, I have read the posts and tried everything suggested but my outside outlets still do not work. I have checked every outlet in the house I can find, basement, attic, outside, garage, etc and I cannot find a GFI that is off. All the outlets in the the house, garage etc have power, except the outside outlets. I think I have found the breaker but I am not sure. The breaker tag says 6FI, could be GFI, but looks like a 6. Anyway 6FI at Panel & OSR. This is a 20amp circuit. I don't know what "at panel" means. I have two master panels in the basement and I have looked all over the house for another panel but I cannot find one. I am at a loss and don't know what else to try. By the way the Outside outlets quit working when I tried to use a Masterbuilt Smoker. Help, any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Are the panels in an unfinished basement? I would think "OSR" would mean outside receptacle and "Gfi at panel" is a service outlet installed close to the main panel. You don't have a GFI outlet underneath or near any of the panels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House