Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 12:46 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I absolutely love what you have done. Great design choices. My new home has a stacked island counter too. I'm going to flatten it like you did. Any advice in this area would be appreciated.
I won't lie. It was a big challenge. We had to remove all of the drywall from the peninsula which we ended up covering with planking instead once done (you can kind of see the planking in the after photos). The hardest part is making sure it was level with the cabinets while trying to maintain some semblance of a kitchen (e.g. not completely removing the old countertop and cabinets). Our pony wall was not built well so we ended up rebuilding most of it. The only reason it was a challenge was because there wasn't a really easy way to cut it level. Figuring out where to cut the wall, etc was easy. It was just the logistics of it that was more of a challenge. Husband was able to get it done with a combination of a plunge cut saw and a circular saw, if I remember correctly. Being dead level was an absolute because we were installing granite. I'm sure this would be considered an easy thing to do for a professional but was more of a challenge for us DIYers. Plus, there's quite a bit of water and electrical in our pony wall so that made it harder to just tear out and rebuild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 02:18 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
We have an HVLP conversion gun with our air compressor that worked great for this. I did worry we would have to thin the paint but it sprayed just fine - the viscosity was more of an issue when we rolled the frames. Not undoable as much as having to be very careful given the thickness of the paint.

The Sherwin Williams acrylic and BM are basically the same. Both water based acrylics, both self leveling, good for cabinets, etc. We used SW instead of BM because SW is more convenient for us where I live. We also used an acrylic primer from SW.
Thanks I assume you mean the Wagner conversion gun?

Any idea what size tip you had on it?

Also what pressure did you run it at?

Sorry for questions, not much info online about the specifics. Lots of general stuff like you originally posted but that isn't very helpful .

Also any close up shots of the trim you added on top of the cabinets? Looks good. We have a similar kitchen (complete with almost the exact same light!) and are looking to do something similar to what you've done. I just added LED recessed cans they look great, huge difference.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Thanks I assume you mean the Wagner conversion gun?

Any idea what size tip you had on it?

Also what pressure did you run it at?

Sorry for questions, not much info online about the specifics. Lots of general stuff like you originally posted but that isn't very helpful .

Also any close up shots of the trim you added on top of the cabinets? Looks good. We have a similar kitchen (complete with almost the exact same light!) and are looking to do something similar to what you've done. I just added LED recessed cans they look great, huge difference.
Yes, it was the Wagner conversion gun. Can't remember the size tip - just ended up using the one that came with it. Ran it at 40 lbs of pressure. We have a Bostic pancake compressor that worked perfect for this project.

The trim on the top of the cabinets was a multi-step process. First we nailed in blocking and then nailed a 1x6 to that with 16 gauge 1.5 in nails using our Hitachi finish nailer (same nails and nail gun for entire moulding project). Then, over that, we added upside down baseboard. Then, finally, we added standard crown moulding. We used the same crown moulding in the room, so it all translated as you can see in the last photo. In addition, we added beadboard on the end caps since it was just crappy looking laminate there before. Also, we added trim at the bottom of the cabinets - it's a light rail - used 1 in nails for this trim whereas the rest, we used the 1.5 in nails.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:46 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Congrats, it looks great. You should be able to get your money back. You all are more talented than me. I wouldn't know how to do all of the DIY stuff that you did. Will be curious about your new house. :-)

Old 11-15-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Congrats, it looks great. You should be able to get your money back. You all are more talented than me. I wouldn't know how to do all of the DIY stuff that you did. Will be curious about your new house. :-)
Right now, we have our eye on a house that is, to put it nicely, a total dump. And yet, I somehow see potential in it. It's an old carolina cottage, on some acreage, and we love the location - not to mention the awesome ancient live oaks on the property. So, if I get that, it's a whole house remodel (as in it's currently inhabitable) and we will likely add on doubling the size. Apparently, I'm either glutton for punishment or just plain crazy.

That being said, no more DIY for us even if we get the 'project house'. Our current home is our third that needed significant updates/remodels and most of them have been DIY. Plus, when we were a newly married young couple, my husband and I were caretakers on a historic plantation where we had to learn all sorts of things from various artisans/historians to take care of the property. I can now weave fabric, make hand dipped candles, and make milk paint - that should never ever come in handy but what the hell, we were young and energetic.

I am so done and ready to let contractors take over! Honestly, DIY is about doing tons and tons of research, understanding when it's over your head and you need to call in the professionals, and having the patience to do it right so it doesn't look DIY.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yes, it was the Wagner conversion gun. Can't remember the size tip - just ended up using the one that came with it. Ran it at 40 lbs of pressure. We have a Bostic pancake compressor that worked perfect for this project.

The trim on the top of the cabinets was a multi-step process. First we nailed in blocking and then nailed a 1x6 to that with 16 gauge 1.5 in nails using our Hitachi finish nailer (same nails and nail gun for entire moulding project). Then, over that, we added upside down baseboard. Then, finally, we added standard crown moulding. We used the same crown moulding in the room, so it all translated as you can see in the last photo. In addition, we added beadboard on the end caps since it was just crappy looking laminate there before. Also, we added trim at the bottom of the cabinets - it's a light rail - used 1 in nails for this trim whereas the rest, we used the 1.5 in nails.
WOW thanks yeah I was seeing 40 psi as the best way to apply it as well, but kept reading online about how most people used 10-20 psi and just wasn't seeing it. I don't have a lack of air at all, but good to know pancake can be used if needed.

Thanks for the detailed pictures of the trim. That looks really good. I got away from an air nailer and use 18v Ryobi ones now. They are heavier but NO AIR HOSE! I love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House