Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,387,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
np, thank you for taking the time to respond.

First question-

How much of this job did you do yourself? I cannot tell. If you did it yourself and it was still 62k then I'm in trouble.
I DID ALL THE ELECTRICAL, CABINET INSTALL, BASEBOARDS, DOOR HANGING AND CASINGS, HVAC VENTS, CLOSET DOOR INSTALL, BATHROOM CABINETS, CABINET KNOBS
THE TILE IN DOWNSTAIRS, BATHROOMS SHOWER MORTAR BED LATH WORK STUCCO WORK DRYWALL AND TEXTURE PLUMBING PAINT WINDOWS CLOSET SHELVING PANTRY AND GLASS SHOWER DOOR WAS DONE BY CONTRACTORS. THE 62K INCLUDED EVERYTHING AS A TOTAL COST. SOME OF THE WORK I DECIDED TO LET A PRO DO IT IN THE NAME OF EFFICIENCY AND JUST SOMETIMES ITS BESTVTO LET A GUY WJO DOES IT ALL THE TIME DO IT.

My issue is that I don't want to hire any contractor or fork over one dime to anyone until I get the demo done. That's the problem I'm having right now. My basement takes in water. I have no idea what's going on behind those walls and I do not want to commit to any one contractor or company until I can get estimates and advice from a host of sources.

YOU SHOULDNT NEED A PERMIT TO DEMO. YOU CAN DEMO WITHOUT A PERMIT. YOU JUST CANT BUILD EITHOUT A PERMIT. BUT EACH CITY IS DIFFERENT. YOU DINT NEED A CONTRACTOR TO PULL PERMITS. YOU CAN DO A BUILDER OWNER.

I guess I will have to submit a plan for a demolished basement and perhaps a working garage. No walls will go up except for the garage door. That will keep it simple. Once the demo is done I will go back to the city and close out the job? How does that work? And then when I make my decisions for waterproofing and finishing the basement I can hire a contractor and he can pull the needed permits then?

NO YOU PULL ALL YOUR PERMITS. BASICALLY YOU ARE NOE THE CONTRACTOR. YOU NOW HIRE THE TRADES. YOU NOW TAKE THE BIDS FROM WHATEVER TRADES TOU NEED. FRAMING PLUMBING DRYWALL ETC.

Huh, making sure all the trades are there for inspection sounds like rounding cats. It sounds very intimidating.

ITS REALLY NOT. REMEMBER YOU CONTROL THE CASH. IF THEY WANT TO GET PAID THEY WILL SHOW UP. THEY MUST PASS INSPECTION. IF YOURE HIRING REAL CONTRACTORS NOT SINE FLY BY NIGHT OUTFIT THEY KNOW THE WAY IT GOES

A kitchen and two bathrooms (with those cabinets to boot) were probably responsible for half the monies do you think? My plan was not to install new cabinets in the kitchen. I was just going to leave it bare and maybe find something used on Craigslist. I have the one bathroom. It's a half bath now and probably not up to code as it is. I thought of making it a 3/4 or full bath.

IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU PLAN ON DOING. COST GOES UP THE MORE YOU WANT.
OK FOR EXAMPLE MY TILE BID
INCLUDED ABOUT 500 sq ft of tile. 20x20 some 12x12 1/4 inch grout line bull nose cut on tile and kitchen back splash. Bathrooms upstairs hardibacker subfloor, tile, shower mortar bed and tar paper, wire, mortar scratch coat up the wall and floor to ceiling and install tile. Same treatment in tub in master with tile floor to ceiling. This made the walks perfectly flat. I don't care for the cement backer board. That ran 10k and it is a lot of work. normally that work would run about 15k

This is great. Thanks.
I wasn't yelling just trying to answer. I can get it really detailed on the whole process but its gonna take a while but I can write the process up if it will help

Last edited by Electrician4you; 07-17-2014 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 06:33 AM

592 posts, read 1,474,185 times
Just finished a remodel

Seemed a big factor was "moving things"

Replace a sink faucet.... Have at it, no permit
Move the sink to a new kitchen island... Need a permit. They want to know the new plumbing is installed correctly

We just had our final permit approvals yesterday. While we had no changes in our pool the inspector noticed our fence and gave us some friendly advice on changing our gate lock. A town child drowned last year in a pool she approved. She felt awful about it even tho it was all legal. She had to be interviewed for state inquiries... So there is definitely a large element of "just don't want people getting hurt"

Old 08-05-2014, 04:22 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,153,086 times
Default First phase underway!!

I'll update as I go and revisit the excellent advice in this thread as I go along.

I received my general building permit in the mail. It was $350ish based on my estimation of a 25k job. It will likely be more than that, but I'll deal with changes in permit $$$ down the road.

The demo guys finally came today with the dump truck and started the demo. They're not finished, but the ton truck is practically full already. I did a quick look around tonight and can see that it's a cinder block foundation, which is good. We were afraid it would be rock or something. From what I can tell it doesn't look like the house is going to fall down.

I can see wood rot in the frame in one of the egress windows. It doesn't look like a big deal to repair. I am concerned about there being what looks like cement and brick sitting on top of the foundation near that window. I don't know if that's normal.

Also, there is this lime/light green stuff on the cinder block. It looks almost like a spray foam, but thinner. Maybe mineral efflorescence?

I can see the crawl space under the kitchen addition, which is great. I need to figure out a way to get that heated or the pipes dealt with. Our pipes freeze every year and we've had a few burst. Huge PITA. I thought about having a duct run out to it, but I spoke with an HVAC guy who warned me about having return air from the crawlspace circulating back into the house. I will need to think about a solution for this problem.

Any how, next up is the demo finish. Hopefully they will clean it all up real nice. Then, I have the HVAC co coming this Friday morning to discuss running new ducts, repairing ducts, and giving the old furnace a tune up.

On Sunday, as well as on the 12th, I have two different companies coming to review water issues and solutions for the leaky basement.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:28 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,760,945 times
Permits protect you as a homeowner, plain and simple !!!

I'm hoping this demo co will pick up the demo permits themselves !!!

Don't assume this because if not then you will be charged double the amount for the original permit plus in some case be forced to remove what's been done !!!!

Old 08-05-2014, 04:33 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,153,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Permits protect you as a homeowner, plain and simple !!!

I'm hoping this demo co will pick up the demo permits themselves !!!

Don't assume this because if not then you will be charged double the amount for the original permit plus in some case be forced to remove what's been done !!!!
I already did it myself. It wasn't a big deal at all. Beyond the general building permit, individual plumbing, electrical, and HVAC (sheet metal whatever) permits will be pulled as we go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House