Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 06:28 PM

9,337 posts, read 13,912,847 times

Advertisements

Hypothetical question here: Can doghouse dormers be replaced by skylights in a remodel? Would that be prohibitively expensive? On a 300K cape cod, for example, what ball park range in price? I often think that a skylight would provide more light than a dormer. Is that possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
There are specific products for this. I have seen both the type that have a sort of "shed dormer" with a window above and one facing outward as well as the fully opening "roof terrace" that includes a "convertible railing". These are quite costly. With installation and appropriate re-trim it will exceed $10k. Not sure if it makes sense at your price point, tend to be something I have seen in places like "resort locations" and "industrial loft conversions" that often are more pricey ...

Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 AM

I'm thinking more of a skylight the surface of which is parallel to the roof surface and maybe 4-6 inches or so higher. Remove the dormer as if just slicing it off at roof level.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:54 AM

675 posts, read 1,687,874 times
Personally I wouldn't - aesthetically doghouse dormers are a feature and removing them - especially replacing with a skylight - might hit you in home value, especially since those dormers provide a tiny bit extra square footage. (We have doghouse dormers and I know from the appraisal those few extra feet were added).

Also depending upon what the climate is like where you live doghouse dormers do a much better job shedding rain, snow, temperature-raising sun, etc. An expensive skylight installed by an expert may do the job but you can do lots of searches on "skylight leaks" to find out what happens when it's not done well.

Don't know the specifics but you'd be paying for demolition, skylight installation, and possibly new roofing and construction since it's unlikely you would find a skylight that would fit the exact footprint of the removed dormer.

Lots to think about but those are some considerations.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:56 AM

675 posts, read 1,687,874 times
Actually it looks like someone posted the same question in reverse, this might give you some ballpark ideas:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/archi...r-windows.html

Old 07-16-2014, 06:54 PM

41,698 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Why on earth would anyone want to do that?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:07 AM

45 posts, read 92,899 times
Some folks just don't like the look or the leaking of a dormer. In my experience, both skylights and dormers will leak eventually, simply because they're both breaks in the roof line.

Can you do it? Of course, but consider that you will have to get permits, an architectural drawing, a carpenter, and a roofer.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:17 AM

Like I first said, the question is hypothetical. I was thinking that a skylight would let in more light since it lets in direct light rather than mostly reflected light. Of course maybe the reflected light spreads out over more area. Some homes, especially the 1.5 story cape cods, have very small dormers and rather dark upstairs areas. A shed dormer conversion would be best, but perhaps would need more support of the weight and thus be a lot more expensive.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:49 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Dormer leak? Highly unlikely.
Getting a skylight in correctly AND not leak- Highly unlikely.

I much prefer the dormer over the skylight- past experience with skylights wasn't good (I noted it in a past thread). On a personal note- I did reside in Germany for awhile and the house that I lived in had those "balcony-type" skylights. They were pretty cool- but were a necessity for egress (attic apartment).

Old 08-02-2014, 08:33 AM

41,698 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeClimber View Post
Some folks just don't like the look or the leaking of a dormer. In my experience, both skylights and dormers will leak eventually, simply because they're both breaks in the roof line.
Neither will leak if they're installed and maintained correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House