Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 09:31 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Sears has their consumer reports top rated Kenmore on line right now on sale for $249. Was at one point $$349. I belive there is only one or two days left. I ordered one on line today.
that is the one that got the great ratings from goodhousekeeping reviews. That also is a great price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 02:52 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
I had the same problem with the Kenmore on/off switch. Had a few other electrical issues also. Too bad, because I do like the vacuum.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,612 times
Ill be honest, I havnt had very much luck with vacuums. I have 4 boys so as you can imagine I am constantly having to use mine! I have gone through one vacuum if not two for the past 12 years. About a year ago I bought a Kirby vacuum and to be honest I dont love it. It is a bit heavy and it is hard for me to carry up the stairs.

I will say this though, I love that it has lasted! It isnt even begining ot break down and I think my streak is finally over. I would recommed it to anyone in need of heavy duty vacuum, that isnt afraid of the weight. If you do decide to buy one, beware of the sales process. It is a horrible process. I found think link that helped me walk through it, [URL="http://www.thevacuumheadquarters.com/"]http://www.thevacuumheadquarters.com/[/URL]. I hope this can help someone else out! Good luck!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:39 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,236 times
Here's another vote for Miele.

I paid $350 for mine about 7 years ago. No problems at all. It's never needed repair.
At first I wanted a bagless and almost didn't buy it, but a "test drive" in the shop convinced me of its cleaning power. I ended up using only 1 package of 6 bags per year, give or take a bag. That includes dog hair.

The power head is impressively strong. I also bought a separate small thingy for doing stairs.

While I was there buying mine, a couple ladies came into the vacuum shop and bought a smaller one than I bought, to use in their jobs as housekeepers.

Just go to your local vacuum store and check it out! Good luck.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:15 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Thumbs up Electrolux???

Sorry Double Post...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-30-2008 at 06:35 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 06:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Thumbs up Electrolux???

I'm still using my Great Grandmother's 1940 Electrolux... 5 generations and still going strong!

I wonder how many of today's vacuum cleaners will be around 10 years from now... let alone 68 years?

One Great Feature is they all use the same bag... from the 1940's through the today.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:29 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,087 times
Get a Kirby, strong, reliable and last forever. Don't buy from the salesman though, go on ebay and get one for a few hundred instead.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:44 PM

323 posts, read 1,969,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
Get a Kirby, strong, reliable and last forever. Don't buy from the salesman though, go on ebay and get one for a few hundred instead.
Have they quieted them down since the Generation 3? Our's was so loud it was painful to use for any length of time. It was sturdy and it did a decent job on the carpets (though nothing like as nice as the Miele - but we didn't know the Miele would be that strong until after we bought it, we just knew that it would be OK and quiet.)

Old 01-31-2008, 08:03 AM

18 posts, read 80,731 times
[quote= I think the one without the bag is good too, but I prefer the bagged kind. [/QUOTE]

Yes, I have a Hoover Empower upright, works great. It's great all except for the price of the Hepa filter, $39. I soon realized that the filter became extremely dirty after it's first cleaning and saw that replacing this Hepa filter will be soon and often. Built almost like automobile filters, as well as other paper filters. How I solved the replacement, cost problem. Go buy a roll of Bounty paper towels- 2 ply . Take one sheet, (not the half sheet) and separate the ply sheets. You end up with 2 separate sheets of ply. You will notice how the one ply is constructed of many small fine holes, enough for air to pass through, just like a filter. Wrap one sheet around the round, approx. 12 inch Hoover Hepa filter. There will be an overlap. To secure it tape it in 3 spots. Save the other ply for your next vacuuming. The paper ply sheet will stop much of the real dirt from reaching your filter, but it will suck dirt just fine, and will prevent replacing this Hoover Hepa filter because it's clogged with dirt. After each vacuuming, tap the Hoover filter to clean out any other small dirt it many have accumulated, and replace the paper ply filter. You may find you may never have to replace this costly filter. Try it, you’ll like it!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,764 times
Had the Kirby Gen3 - best vacuum I ever owned, but it is HEAVY. The carpet cleaner attachment was incredible, it got out every stain I ever had - including pet stains. The biggest complaint about Kirby is how difficult it is to switch heads, and did I mention HEAVY?

I have Kenmore canister now, and I hate it. Also had on/off switch trouble with it - 100 to repair. It's louder than the Kirby ever was. I feel like I'm guiding a plane into the terminal at the airport every time I turn it on.

I've heard the same good things about Miele especially how quiet they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House