Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:55 PM

141 posts, read 297,396 times

Advertisements

The only problem I just read there with the SimpliSafe is many users complaining of dead batteries in keypads, some in less than 2 or 3 months. A heavy reliance on AA batteries for keypads and alarm sirens.

http://simplisafe.com/forum/customer...s-how-often-re

I have had a wired system for 17 years. Cost me about $1100 installed and programmed, with a cellular link/dialer. And I have way more window door switches than any of the SimpliSafe packages offer, plus 3 motion sensors in various rooms. The only battery I am reliant on is a large motorcycle size battery in main box for power failures, or a burglar cutting off my main home power supply before breaking in. And my back up battery has a transformer/power supply/regulator to charge it 24/7. I have had to replace that battery once in 17.5 years.

I just got a quote for a new comparable wired system for a new proposed house i will be building soon hopefully. Same price range $1100, in NE TN. These are professionals who provide systems and service to businesses, and homeowners.
Wireless definitely offers advantages for existing homes, over pulling wires. But even the company who installed my alarm and who monitors my alarm 24/7, offers wireless window and door switches, and motion sensors, with a wired main panel and key pads. Thereby relying on batteries only for window and door switches, and motion sensors. Those batteries typically last years, like 3 or 4 years. A friend has wireless switches with his system.

And I never thought about the exterior alarm signs. Using a different company sign. Makes sense, I like that.
But then I have all those window stickers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 09:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
So far as using a different alarm company sign, I don't know about these days, but alarm companies used to install *many* different types of systems.

Also there are all sorts of different options for one basic system. No telling who might have what!

Anyway you can't tell what someone has based on the sign. And even if you knew the specific system used, you would not know how it was installed. These systems can be installed *many* different ways - different wire and wire colors used - different wiring schemes may be used.

So for one particular brand/model system, did the alarm installer use (see link below)...

A Normally Open Loop?
A Normally Closed Loop?
A Single Balanced Loop?
A Double Balanced Loop?

Or supervised wireless devices with "jamming" supervision perhaps?

https://www.jablotron.com/en/for-our...op-principles/

Old 08-10-2014, 09:58 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
The only problem I just read there with the SimpliSafe is many users complaining of dead batteries in keypads, some in less than 2 or 3 months. A heavy reliance on AA batteries for keypads and alarm sirens.

Keypad batteries - How often to replace? | DIY Home Security

I have had a wired system for 17 years. Cost me about $1100 installed and programmed, with a cellular link/dialer. And I have way more window door switches than any of the SimpliSafe packages offer, plus 3 motion sensors in various rooms. The only battery I am reliant on is a large motorcycle size battery in main box for power failures, or a burglar cutting off my main home power supply before breaking in. And my back up battery has a transformer/power supply/regulator to charge it 24/7. I have had to replace that battery once in 17.5 years.

I just got a quote for a new comparable wired system for a new proposed house i will be building soon hopefully. Same price range $1100, in NE TN. These are professionals who provide systems and service to businesses, and homeowners.
Wireless definitely offers advantages for existing homes, over pulling wires. But even the company who installed my alarm and who monitors my alarm 24/7, offers wireless window and door switches, and motion sensors, with a wired main panel and key pads. Thereby relying on batteries only for window and door switches, and motion sensors. Those batteries typically last years, like 3 or 4 years. A friend has wireless switches with his system.

And I never thought about the exterior alarm signs. Using a different company sign. Makes sense, I like that.
But then I have all those window stickers too.
I've had SimpliSafe for about 5 years now, and I haven't replaced a battery in any of the sensors. I have changed the batteries in the keypad (4 AA's) about 3 times, but it is used several times per day to turn the alarm on and off. SimpliSafe says on their website that they aren't for the mansion type houses that need tons and tons of sensors. Instead of putting sensors on all of your windows, you can cover your downstairs with 4 or 5 motion sensors and put sensors on the doors. I test all of the sensors once or twice a year, and the motion detectors work great. You can install motion sensors so that dogs won't set them off.

You can buy ADT stickers online for cheap. I think I bought 10 for $5 one time on Ebay and gave away the ones I wasn't using.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I've never heard of someone deciding on which security system to get by which was most "popular"???
Burglars would probably be very familiar with the "most popular" security systems.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Burglars would probably be very familiar with the "most popular" security systems.
In reality, burglars are not very bright. See "America's Dumbest Criminals" for example. If they were bright, they would not have to steal things for a living, they would have a job!

If you are basing what burglars can do on Hollywood TV and movies... Be aware that when they show a burglar bypassing an alarm, that is pure nonsense! Most burglars would be lucky if they could jumpstart a car.

Furthermore, many of the employees working at alarm companies do not fully understand how the wiring on many alarm systems works, only a couple of employees will fully understand everything.

Now there are a few smart burglars (rare) who can bypass simple alarms. And they are also smart enough to break into somewhere where there is a lot of money to be made. And that is NOT someone's home.

Most homes only contain things which can be sold for less than $100 if stolen. Pretty much you are looking at drug addicts for home break-ins. Stealing a stereo and selling it for $20 gets them their next fix. (Does not matter that the stereo cost $500, $20 is all they can get for it.)

Old 08-10-2014, 10:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I really don't understand the attraction of security systems for homes that aren't in high crime areas.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:00 AM

777 posts, read 1,871,555 times
OP, where are you located? If you're anywhere near my city, I can recommend an awesome home security company - a mom and pop outfit that seriously knows their stuff and performs ultra-professional installs.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I really don't understand the attraction of security systems for homes that aren't in high crime areas.
They can do other things like include a fire alarm system.

Also medical alert - press a button and help is on the way.

Then for the elderly, it can monitor for daily activity. If there is no movement inside a house by a certain time each day, it can send an alarm and someone can be notified to come and check on the person.

Not to mention a water/flooding alert in a basement - all sorts of stuff besides just burglary.

P.S. A "latchkey" feature. If the kid does not come home and disarm the system by a certain time, the parent can be notified at work.

And business can have records kept of when their alarm is turned on/off. And send the police if the alarm is turned off when is should not be turned off. (Called opening and closing reports.)

Old 08-10-2014, 10:14 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
We are in what is considered a very low crime area. We have a monitored alarm system with cameras and signs in front and rear of house indicating so. Neighbors on each side of us, one last year and one 3 years ago have been broken into, they don't have any alarm system.
No area is safe anymore.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 AM

141 posts, read 297,396 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We are in what is considered a very low crime area. We have a monitored alarm system with cameras and signs in front and rear of house indicating so. Neighbors on each side of us, one last year and one 3 years ago have been broken into, they don't have any alarm system.
No area is safe anymore.
Absolutey why my home has been protected for 17.5 years. My neighbor's home directly across the street from me was broken into one day while everybody was away at work or school. Until your home is broken into, you cannot appreciate the feel of being violated, I still remember the scream and horror of my neighbor as I went with her to see what had taken place, after the fact. Her stuff taken, alot of it just thrown around the house, ransacked. They had an alarm installed within days after.
And let me tell you, my mother and my sister and brother in law's house was broken into while they slept. Now you want to see fear and horror on somebody's face? My BIL is 6'4" 280 lbs and the disgust, the horror, some guy broke in while they slept. He took change from their dresser tops while they slept, while their children slept in the BR next to them. The burglar could have killed them all if that had been his mission or desire. And this took place in a small town of maybe 6000 people about 10-15 years ago.

No thanks...I now sleep with my alarm armed, motion sensors bypassed, perimeter armed. Pistol six feet from my bed, hidden from sight but ready to go. My hearing is damaged and I sleep pretty hard most nights.

Our world is changing rapidly today, and not for the better. Coming to a neighborhood near you soon.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House