Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,290 times

Advertisements

I have searched online for a GSM home alarm system and Visonic, Yale, Infinite Prime and CommPact seems to be the most popular ones, what are your thoughts and which one you suggest me to purchase?

I have rang two installers today and one said he installs Scantronic alarms and the other one installs Texecom alarms, I believe Scantronic is not as good as Texecom but what are your thoughts?

Is GSM more reliable than using telephone to contact you when alarm is triggered?

Also my house has all the alarm wires fitted when the house was built, should I go for a wired or wireless system?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 AM

48 posts, read 100,686 times
If you are purchasing your own system, I would suggest that you go with a Honeywell LYNX system. Honeywell has been around for decades and have many patents in the home security world.
If you want a completely wireless solution, go with the following list:
a) Honeywell wireless contacts for doors/windows
b) Honeywell LYNX touch L5200 or L7000 control panel
c) Honeywell GSM and/or WiFi addon for the LYNX touch in (b)

Done!

All you need to do is to peel/stick the door/window contacts. Pop in the GSM circuit board inside the LYNX touch. Mount the LYNX touch panel near your door (or living room, since it looks great!). The Touch will walk you thro to add the wireless sensors for monitoring.

Super simple. After you do this, just call ANY Honeywell monitoring company and they can monitor your setup for NO CONTRACT and approx $20-$25 / month.

IF you do not want GSM monitoring, they can monitor the system using your home WiFi for approx $15 a month.

If you are SELF monitoring, you can do so yourself via your smartphone from anywhere in the world for approx $8 a month.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
When I stop being lazy, I'll install this
Home Security Systems from SimpliSafe

A coworker put one in a year ago and loves the system.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I've never heard of someone deciding on which security system to get by which was most "popular"???

Anyway I would start with your local police department - see what thieves are doing in your area. Then based on that, decide what will best protect you from that. The police may have a program to come out and look at your house and make suggestions?

And the answer may be motion lights.
Maybe a security system.
Maybe a security camera system.
Maybe physical security - bars on the windows/doors, high security locks (for very bad areas).

And for the security system, maybe you have pets (or might get pets in the future) and that would be a consideration for inside motion detection. Maybe protect all windows and doors? Maybe just doors and a couple of motion detectors inside. Maybe protect a shop or outbuilding? (Distance matters for wireless.)

Anyway once you decide what all needs protection, then realize these things can be integrated with cell phones these days. If you just have a cell phone and no land line, that is a consideration for monitoring. You can look at pictures from your security cameras on your cell phone while away from home. Lights can be turned on/off with the security system. Etc.

Everything can be connected these days!

Then low cost alarm monitoring is here (currently around $9 a month)...
Alarm Monitoring Services Only $8.95 per Month from Alarm Relay

Might want to call them and ask for a recommendation on which systems are better.

And DO NOT sign any contracts before reading each and every word! Read the fine print. Some alarm companies are bigger crooks than the thieves breaking into your house - they lock you into multi-year costly monitoring contracts which are very difficult to get out of.

You can purchase the equipment yourself and hire an off duty alarm technician to install it - no contracts!

Search google.com for the following words to find online stores to purchase alarm equipment...

security system Honeywell DSC GE

Old 07-31-2014, 01:54 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Remington, Smith&Wesson, or Colt- Pick one of those!

I have all 3!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 01:57 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Remington, Smith&Wesson, or Colt- Pick one of those!

I have all 3!!!
Nice to know because I'm sure they will be gone when someone breaks into your house while you are at work.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:03 AM

306 posts, read 550,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Nice to know because I'm sure they will be gone when someone breaks into your house while you are at work.
My guns (Prefer SIG) are backed up by a German Shepherd...

Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 AM

141 posts, read 297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkull View Post
My guns (Prefer SIG) are backed up by a German Shepherd...
I am a dog lover but there are SO many ways to defeat a dog if you plan ahead it isn't funny. Better to have a 800# gun safe, keep all my weapons (other than the one I am carrying at the time), camera gear, house cash, documents, jewelry, and photos in it. So even if I'm not at home, I am still well protected. And if I am home, I am armed and sleep with my home alarm on (I sleep heavy and my hearing is in bad shape)

And everything is defeatable, its just how much effort is involved and is it really worth it.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:40 AM

141 posts, read 297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
affirmative on that unless you carry all three

Old 08-09-2014, 03:48 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
Home Security Systems from SimpliSafe

I'm a police officer, and I think this is an excellent alarm system. You set it up yourself, it's wireless, cellular calling, text and email alerts, no subscriptions, you buy what you want up front, low monthly monitoring... I could go on and on. Check out their website.

Whatever alarm you get, put stickers and signs for a different alarm company on your house. You don't want to advertise what system you have. Layered security is also the best method. I have an alarm, motion lighting, firearms, reinforced entry points, and a german shepherd. If you appear prepared, a criminal will be more likely to pick an easier target (your neighbor).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House