Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:26 AM

701 posts, read 1,690,634 times

Advertisements

I recently (within the last month) bought a house and have experienced every plumbing problem imaginable. The guy who sold the house had flipped it: that is, he never lived in it. When my inspector went through the house he noted several issues that I thought had been resolved, but once I moved in and started actually living there, all sorts of new problems developed.

Basically, the work his plumber did was so shoddy that every single new fixture had to be re-tightened, re-caulked, or snaked.

All that is done, and now I'm dealing with one final problem. There's a shower upstairs - metal frame with glass doors, and I've noticed a leak coming out one corner near the bottom that I can't seem to fix. The guy who installed the shower caulked all the way around the inside, which I'd read (and my plumber confirmed) is incorrect. So along the bottom of the shower on the inside I cut the caulk and then re-caulked along the bottom of the outside.

I'll try to post some pictures later, but the spot where it's still leaking is very tight, to the point that I can't get the tip of a caulk gun in there to properly caulk. So I'm having to use a putty knife (or my finger) to try to smooth in the caulk. I think I've got it in there, but who knows.

My questions (before you can see pictures, that is) are 1) should I caulk up the metal frame/wall on the outside as well (it's currently caulked up the metal frame on the inside) and 2) how hard is it to re-install the glass if I decide to take it out to try to get a better angle for caulking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 08:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
It sounds like your shower PAN may be leaking. If that's the case, it needs to be replaced, which means tearing the old one out and putting in a new one. Not an easy fix and definitely not one that can be fixed with caulk. All the caulk will do (for a little while, not for long) is divert the leaking water around to other places, where it is going to cause significant damage over time - if you have a shower pan leak, and that's what it sounds like to me.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It sounds like your shower PAN may be leaking. If that's the case, it needs to be replaced, which means tearing the old one out and putting in a new one. Not an easy fix and definitely not one that can be fixed with caulk. All the caulk will do (for a little while, not for long) is divert the leaking water around to other places, where it is going to cause significant damage over time - if you have a shower pan leak, and that's what it sounds like to me.
The pan is brand-new (installed during the flip). It had better not be the pan!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
You always "stop" water from its source- so, common sense says you caulk the INSIDE of the frame! There is absolutely no reason NOT TOO!

I'm not going into some long drawn out discertation based on what can't be seen- but there are two questions that may solve this- is this a fiberglass shower unit? And the shower door was added?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
The pan is brand-new (installed during the flip). It had better not be the pan!
For your sake, I hope not!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You always "stop" water from its source- so, common sense says you caulk the INSIDE of the frame! There is absolutely no reason NOT TOO!

I'm not going into some long drawn out discertation based on what can't be seen- but there are two questions that may solve this- is this a fiberglass shower unit? And the shower door was added?
The shower is essentially this: ASB 38 in. x 38 in. x 72-1/8 in. Standard Fit Corner Shower Kit-403800 at The Home Depot

And the instructions (and my plumber and numerous other information sources) say to caulk the outside, not the inside, of one of these shower units. Apparently there are tracks on the inside that train the water back down into the drain.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
For your sake, I hope not!
Lol, considering the crap work I've seen so far it wouldn't surprise me if they installed something old. It has been one nightmare after another with the plumbing in this place.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 AM

409 posts, read 872,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

I was wondering about that too. I also have a leak in the bottom corner of my shower stall. It is maddening trying to find the source. I taken to pouring water in certain areas and I finally narrowed the area. I thought the problem was the metal anchor that connects the glass wall to the half wall. I caulked it, still leaks. I went back and caulked the hell out of it, still leaks. I poured water on the bench below the anchor, leaks. I see there is a small area where the grout has a very fine crack. I am going to wait a couple of days then caulk that.

I have been tempted to just say screw it caulk the leak from the outside. But then the drywall, wood, etc would stay wet and rot away.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Our shower (installed 1997) recently sprung a leak and we dried the inside and caulked, then the next day when we knew it was dry we caulk the outside. No leaks since.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:00 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
The shower is essentially this: ASB 38 in. x 38 in. x 72-1/8 in. Standard Fit Corner Shower Kit-403800 at The Home Depot

And the instructions (and my plumber and numerous other information sources) say to caulk the outside, not the inside, of one of these shower units. Apparently there are tracks on the inside that train the water back down into the drain.
I've got one of these units. The problem is the abs plastic. The caulk doesn't like to stick to it. Caulk the inside seam. it may stop it enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House