Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:05 PM

521 posts, read 732,833 times

Advertisements

My husband is not very into fixing even the most basic things around the house. And I'm no good at it either. It's like we are Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb when it comes to DIY projects. Unfortunately this can get very expensive when owning a home and having to call handymen or repair people for everything. It seems (and I hope not to sound sexist but probably will) that many men enjoy these sort of projects. Is this because they grew up with a dad who taught them so it's more natural? Or is it just something that certain men/women are good at for whatever reason? Do the Home Depot classes help? Just trying to figure out a way to not have to spend so much on the labor of seemingly basic repairs. Any tips will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 11:30 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
If he enjoys doing this kind of work and is able to do it once he's been shown how, a few DIY classes and a garage sale "Fix It Yourself" book or two would certainly help him develop some skills. But if he's simply not handy or doesn't enjoy doing it, no amount of training or prodding is going to help.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:38 PM

521 posts, read 732,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If he enjoys doing this kind of work and is able to do it once he's been shown how, a few DIY classes and a garage sale "Fix It Yourself" book or two would certainly help him develop some skills. But if he's simply not handy or doesn't enjoy doing it, no amount of training or prodding is going to help.
That's true. He says it's because he didn't grow up with a father figure to teach him to be handy. So still trying to figure out if it's something he may enjoy if he learns how.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:12 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
"Is there a way to get husband to be more handy/DIY?"

Only if he really wants to!

The only one you can motivate is yourself. Why don't YOU take those classes?

Old 08-07-2014, 06:22 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
"Is there a way to get husband to be more handy/DIY?"

Only if he really wants to!

The only one you can motivate is yourself. Why don't YOU take those classes?
Stockings and heels can be a powerful tool!

Old 08-07-2014, 06:26 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Yes, there is.
The wife can become a "handyman" expert and shame her husband into getting better.
Just make sure your first project as the wife is not a man cave.

Seriously.
You both should take classes.
Start with something simple and a very small project.
Buy only the tools you need at the time. Spend decent money on tools.
An easy project is a tool board. A sheet of 1/2 plywood, painted and then hang tools.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:35 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Being able to do projects on your own can save you a lot of money. I am very thankful that my husband can do them and that I was able to learn from him. We are lucky that we both love doing projects. The first thing you need to find out is if either one of you would enjoy doing them. If you don't enjoy then you won't want to do it.

If I was you I would check into some of the clinics that Home Depot and Lowe's offer. Go together and see if it something you would both like to do. Take it from there. I love doing projects with my best friend

Good luck. The more you can do and share together the closer you will be.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:36 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Not every man is "born to be handyman" or have natural skills or interest, like not every woman can/want to cook or do needlework
Some men just don't have the creativity or are not interested in fixing things. Nowadays lots of women show interest in DIY, and are more technically adept than men.
I don't care much about Lowes/Home Depot classes. I think YouTube does much better job. There are literally thousands of helpful videos that teach step-by-step how to do basic repairs, and there are also videos for advanced folks.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Stockings and heels can be a powerful tool!
Sure but that is just fluff A project will last much longer

Old 08-07-2014, 06:42 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
My husband is not very into fixing even the most basic things around the house. And I'm no good at it either. It's like we are Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb when it comes to DIY projects. Unfortunately this can get very expensive when owning a home and having to call handymen or repair people for everything. It seems (and I hope not to sound sexist but probably will) that many men enjoy these sort of projects. Is this because they grew up with a dad who taught them so it's more natural? Or is it just something that certain men/women are good at for whatever reason? Do the Home Depot classes help? Just trying to figure out a way to not have to spend so much on the labor of seemingly basic repairs. Any tips will help.

What about you?

My husband and I plan on possibly taking some classes together in the near future. (And for reference, my husband may love camping and the outdoors but he cannot fix anything and only knows how to change a tire on a car.) It is what it is! But we plan on improving. (So I don't need to call my dad all of the time.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House