Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In the meantime, maybe the OP could try this: post a sign that shows a map of the neighborhood, with your house marked as YOU ARE HERE. Have the route from your house to the Nigerian estate shown in red, and have a notation saying "This is 1252 Happy Valley Circle West. If you are looking for the large house at 1252 Happy Valley Court, please follow these arrows."
I don't think this is a bad idea at all given the issues the OP is having; but I picture this being a relatively upscale subdivision with pretty nice houses, so the idea of posting these signs on the doors is giving me a little chuckle.

What's even funnier (I love irony) is that it's probably against HOA rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:24 PM

250 posts, read 694,238 times
What about a sign that says "Residence of Mr. and Mrs. John Doe"? Not sure that would help with the pizza delivery, etc, but would it help with the party goers, etc. who know the other homeowners' name? If you're interested and your HOA doesn't allow such signs presently, maybe this can be part of the solution you work out with them.

You also might consider adding your address under your name, underlining or bolding the unique part of your address: 1252 Happy Valley Circle West

One of my neighbors has a very attractive engraved metal "No Soliciting" sign on her front door - very simple, attractive. She says it works. She shouldn't need one because soliciting is not allowed in our neighborhood, but the solicitors do it anyway. I'm planning to get one myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm sure other families are having similar problems. This can't be the only house that shares a similar address with the other street.
Great point. High probability that this is true. It may pay you to ask around and get everyone with the problem to work together for a solution.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:27 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
Just put your address on the front and NO name

Old 08-08-2014, 12:31 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't think this is a bad idea at all given the issues the OP is having; but I picture this being a relatively upscale subdivision with pretty nice houses, so the idea of posting these signs on the doors is giving me a little chuckle.

What's even funnier (I love irony) is that it's probably against HOA rules.
Yep, against the rules to post signs but a professionally made mounted plaque is permitted. Since we have one of the older (smaller @4400 sq ft) houses, we sit closer to the front gate. The community becomes outfitted with larger, newer places further down. Our neighbors, before they moved to LA, were Philip & Robin McGraw & their boys (aka "DR PHIL) and we have professional athletes (Jessica Simpson's tour bus used to drop her off to visit her BF back in the day) and a high profile national radio shock jock here.

The front gate has their share of challenges with unauthorized visitors asking to enter...

So, since we have an old, modest place and we are boring retirees, I don't think the security staff finds my issues important. We'll be moving away next year, just still seething from the late night pizza episode....

Old 08-08-2014, 12:35 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Smaller house @ 4400 sq ft!

I could fit 5-6 of my houses in yours.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:08 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Yep, against the rules to post signs but a professionally made mounted plaque is permitted.
Now I'm picturing a very nice looking brass plaque with a naughty limerick about being at the wrong house engraved on it.

I still think Randy Quaid is your best bet.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:28 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It's not the guests' fault that the developer named all the streets almost the same, and they're not the ones who should have to have rudeness thrust in their faces because they made an apparently common navigational mistake. It's a shame that the other household couldn't have been more cooperative, but there's not much that the OP can do about that either.

I agree with the suggestions about involving the HOA and having the security personnel be more proactive about directing people to the right house. In the meantime, maybe the OP could try this: post a sign that shows a map of the neighborhood, with your house marked as YOU ARE HERE. Have the route from your house to the Nigerian estate shown in red, and have a notation saying "This is 1252 Happy Valley Circle West. If you are looking for the large house at 1252 Happy Valley Court, please follow these arrows."
I certainly discuss this with the HOA. If all the addresses in the plan contain similar words, I doubt the OP is not the only resident whose home is being mistaken for the palace. I would ask if I could make a pile of hand-outs for the gate keepers to use with a map and directions similar to what bus man has written above. Then, when someone arrives asking for HV COURT, give them the written instructions for how to get there. They probably have by far the most visitors of any home, so make a LOT of copies.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:53 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Smaller house @ 4400 sq ft!

I could fit 5-6 of my houses in yours.
I could fit 4.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
So, since we have an old, modest place and we are boring retirees, I don't think the security staff finds my issues important.
They obviously don't care about the problems of the royal family living in the big house with staff either.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:06 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Just put your address on the front and NO name
Our address IS on the front. But all people see is 1252. The community manager says there are 3 houses with 1252 in but the 3rd is on Happy Trails (no Valley in the name) so not the confusion. We are told these are the only 2 addresses with this close a match.

IMO, if we are the only 2 addresses, the gate staff shouldn't have difficulty remembering to deal with it since the other house has daily guests and we have visitors no more than once a week.

The gate says it issues "visitor passes" with printed directions so the absolve themselves of all blame. This is a complete lie. Never once has a guest to our home been issued a visitor pass.

Thanks, all, I am getting a sign ordered "This is 1252 HV CIRCLE WEST NOT 1252 HV Court; if you need directions to HV Court please ask at the entry gate."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House