Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:44 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The royal family is disliked by many.....among them the gate staff. In the first 2 years after their home was built here, they issued many "orders" to the community and neighbors because they didn't understand local culture. For example, we were told (thru their manservant) that all mail accidentally delivered to our house -- once we refused to change our address -- was to be immediately driven to their place and handed over to their staff. And in return, our mail that found its way to their place would be disposed of because of our refusal to change our address. yea, right!

Considering this and the other updates, I would step it up beyond a simple line saying this is not XXX address. I like the one suggestion saying that unwanted knocks or disturbances after such hour are to be considered trespassing or something similar.

Figure out your verbiage and have a local sign shop (or order from the web - this is the first random link I found there are plenty more Custom Engraved Phenolic Plastic Nameplates from Seton.com, Stock items ship TODAY, Custom ships FAST! | Seton) make up a nice phenolic sign with it and put it right by the doorbell.

I would also definitely go to the board or actually write them a letter and firmly request that the directions be given out as they say and point to instances in which the people were at your house without directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 07:03 AM

279 posts, read 544,468 times
I am sorry that I don't have a solution for you but I wanted to say that this must be very stressful and I hope you find something that works.

I would start answering my door with my shotgun in my hands.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:45 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I am skeptical that a sign at your door will resolve this. I know many people with "No Soliciting" signs and that doesn't prevent people from ringing their doorbell.

My recommendation is to agree with those who say to take this to the HOA board and getting them to fix the situation. Get your issue on the agenda for the next meeting and then keep going every month until this is resolved. Squeaky wheel, etc. I think there are a few viable solutions, although my favorite would be to force the other family to change their address to the other street name, since that's the least hassle for you. But I'd be willing to put up with some short term hassle myself, such as a name change for your street, if that took care of matters for good.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:10 PM

306 posts, read 550,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
h

The family is somewhat connected to some scams. There was a news expose a few years back about a medicare billing scam and this family owns a chain of medical clinics that was involved. I was hoping they would be shut down and have to leave. But so far that hasn't happened.
This family name would not start with a "M" and end with a "d" would it?

Old 08-11-2014, 06:35 PM

445 posts, read 1,605,014 times
Ebola
Quarantine

and hang a hazmat suit by the front door

Get something that looks a lot like a Nigerian flag and use it for a doormat

Have a sprinkler head wired into your door bell for after dark...

Have a box of snakes delivered to their house - with your name, address etc .. See if they keep that package

Old 08-11-2014, 06:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
Get something that looks a lot like a Nigerian flag and use it for a doormat
Although it won't solve the OP's problem, I love the thought behind this suggestion.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:17 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
I can see how this would get old quickly.
I would put a sign asking that people call upon arrival rather than knock. They will soon discover they are at the wrong house. If its mainly visitors to one other specific house I would also complain at the guard shack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House