Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:26 AM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

I have a double sink with disposal on right. When i turn on the disposal, water spouts up on the left side.
What could cause this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 05:49 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Probably your drain line is blocked or partly blocked.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Clean out the trap under the sinks. And/or snake the drain.

If you don't know how to do that, call a plumber.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:48 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I have a double sink with disposal on right. When i turn on the disposal, water spouts up on the left side.
What could cause this?
Do you run cold water into the disposal while its on, just asking as I made that mistake once.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:41 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
What could cause this?
Blue whales under your sink.

A hidden geyser under your house.

You have a friend who worked at the Bellagio and just couldn't resist

Sink devils. There should be a movie out about them soon, complete with screechy music and flying cutlery.

The solution is to remove your sink and turn it around 180 degrees and re-set it. The water will then spout up on the right side the way it is supposed to.

Glad to be of help.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:53 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Agree it sounds like a blockage. Before snaking/plumber, you could try running the disposal with the drain stopper firmly in place over the left (non-disposal) side drain. That can sometimes create enough of a vacuum to clear out a blockage - you'll definitely hear it if works!

Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
If the drain tube from the disposal goes into a tee, make sure the tee is a baffle tee (has a baffle inside).

If it isn't, replace it.

If it is a baffle tee, make sure it isn't installed upside down. The baffle should direct the water down.

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/EndOutletTee.jpg

Old 08-08-2014, 11:45 AM

UPDATE: The maintenance guy came over. He said if this happens, put your hand over the left sink. This will force the liquid down into the sink and down through the correct outlet. That may seem silly, but he has experience.

The disposal acts as a pump, forcing water downwards. It that water can't escape downwards, it will come up the other side.

QUESTIONS: Last night I poured lots of Drano in both sides, to no effect. Why did it make no difference? I know what Drano is good for, but is it not good if the disposal is involved?

Also, I don't put large junk into the sinks at all. It's just cold coffee, small bits of food, unavoidable grease from cooking. I guess that collects in the trap, eh? When the dirty water appeared, it looked like coffee grounds, but I rarely put coffee grounds in the sink. I toss it in the can.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:16 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
UPDATE: The maintenance guy came over. He said if this happens, put your hand over the left sink. This will force the liquid down into the sink and down through the correct outlet. That may seem silly, but he has experience.

The disposal acts as a pump, forcing water downwards. It that water can't escape downwards, it will come up the other side.

QUESTIONS: Last night I poured lots of Drano in both sides, to no effect. Why did it make no difference? I know what Drano is good for, but is it not good if the disposal is involved?

Also, I don't put large junk into the sinks at all. It's just cold coffee, small bits of food, unavoidable grease from cooking. I guess that collects in the trap, eh? When the dirty water appeared, it looked like coffee grounds, but I rarely put coffee grounds in the sink. I toss it in the can.
That's, in essence, what emm said, except emm suggested using the drain stopper which is a safer course of action. Just in case there's something that decides to fly up through the left drain which could possibly be injurious to your bare hand. Happy disposing.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:17 PM

BTW is it possible to put a snake all the way through the disposal and beyond?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House