Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 04:10 AM

425 posts, read 1,256,747 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever slept on a comfortable hide a bed? We are trying to decide if we want to get one, so visitors don't always have to climb our stairs to get to our guest room, or if we have the need for an extra sleeping space. I remember sleeping on several in my youth and they were pretty horrible. I was quite thin then, and I still felt every fold and metal part. Can't imagine anyone with weight issues even remotely being comfortable. Has the comfort level improved?

This hide a bed would go in our formal dining area, which we use as an office. We could get a queen size bed but we would need to put a curtain for privacy. We tried a room divider but since it's so close to the stairs you can see right into the room as you come down them. There is no door frame for any kind of door, folding or otherwise. Worry that this will distract from the beauty of the rest of our home, since it would be just about one of the first things you would see from the front door. We thought about building a door frame,(which would need to be built out a ft. or so to clear the stairwell), but by the time we did all that, the room would get almost too small for my desk, a bed and our tread mill. Of course, if you have guests who you don't want to stay very long, a hide a bed might be just the thing! Any ideas folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 04:54 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,249 times
I have found that those blow-up air mattresses are quite comfortable, even with a bad back. They make them now with a fabric cover, rather than smooth plastic, so the sheets don't slide off like they used to. You can even get a powered pump to blow them up so you don't get hyperventilated :-) Plus, they store in the attic or a closet, or even under another bed.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:01 AM

324 posts, read 1,527,752 times
one thing to consifer is if/when you are going to sell your house is the next owner going to want it??

Old 12-23-2007, 05:45 AM

Good idea about the air mattress, but the one we have goes on the floor and my sister, (coming in March), would never be able to get down or up off of it. I know there are ones you can buy that have a foundation and sit up higher, but I think it would be hard to support her weight - I can just see my brother-in-law flying across the room, or rolling off of it, when they are both in it! Daughter slept on the one we have a few months ago, and thought it was kinda like sleeping on a balloon.
The resale factor is an issue, since to put a curtain we would need to put some kind of track on the ceiling. It could be painted to match, but would still be a track.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:19 AM

546 posts, read 2,416,801 times
I think I would go with the room divider and know that it is a temporary situation and you and your guests have to make some accomendations. As long as they have a place to change and feel relatively private they should be fine. I don't think I would alter my home too much for occassional out of town guests. That's my two cents!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:05 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
If you cant find a good hide a bed how about a Murphy bed. That way you could have a real bed only when you needed one..

The free standing ones look like a wardrobe or another piece of furniture. When you move you could take it with you. The built in ones can be disguised to look like a closet or whatever. This might be a selling point or not. But if the new peeps didnt want it they could just remove it and have a closet.

For privacy you could do a tall folding screen. Or if the arch isnt too wide how about using a tension shower curtain rod and a nice fabic shower curtain. If the curtain has to be hung from the ceiling you could install a few small screw in hooks and then hang your rod from the hooks with chain. Which ever way you go I would use curtain rings or put larget gromets in the curtain tops so the curtain will slide easily. .

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 12-23-2007 at 07:22 AM..

Old 12-23-2007, 07:40 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
No, never found a hide-a bed that was remotely comfortable. How about a futon? You get a comfortable couch and it quickly turns into a real bed. Get a good mattress - not the cotton batting ones - and it is really nice for both sitting and sleeping. Lots of choices for attractive frames.

(I found out the cotton bat mattresses really aren't comfortable when I painted my bedroom and slept on the futon. I quickly got a good mattress and it was fine.)

Old 12-23-2007, 08:12 AM

240 posts, read 470,584 times
You really should check out the new air matress. I bought one last year from Target and I also put a thick mattress pad cover on it for extra comfort. This mattress is fantastic. My guests have been back many times and want to sleep on it. So I had to check it out and sure enough, I sleep comfortably as if in my own bed. They have improved the quality on the air matress in the last few years. Then you can deflate in minutes and tuck away. Also the frame that they have for some is collaspable and has a weight amt that it can hold, I am not sure of the amt. It's worth checking out before spending money on the other bed and door frame work. Good luck.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 PM

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. We went out and got a curtain that I think looks pretty good, which scrunches up to the staircase when not pulled to hide the room. It is on a tension rod and therefore won't hurt the ceiling. I think now I am good to purchase a queen mattress and know that my guests will be as comfortable as we can get them. Happy Holidays, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House