Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 11,991 times

Advertisements

I'm moving into an apartment that only has one wall outlet (with two 3-prong outlets) above the countertop near the area designed for the fridge (only other wall outlet in the kitchen is behind the stove). I was thinking of buying one of these guys to help provide more outlets for countertop kitchen appliances:

GE-Grounded-6-Outlet-Tap

I'm not sure if this is safe to plug in a refrigerator though.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-22-2014 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
Default Get something a little beefier

A good UL listed surge protector is a better way to go -- Amazon.com: Tripp Lite ISOBAR4 Isobar Surge Protector Metal 4 Outlet 6 feet Cord 3330 Joules: Electronics

Old 08-21-2014, 07:33 PM

9,917 posts, read 23,020,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Agree, if you're going to have to "share", this is it!
I'd be afraid to use one of those little inexpensive outlet taps for what the OP has in mind.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:44 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,605,596 times
Lightbulb Is the fridge outlet a dedicated circuit? If so, best to keep it that way

Plugging anything else into the same circuit as the refrigerator is a recipe for disaster. If the outlet behind the stove is on a different breaker than the fridge outlet, that might be a better choice?

Probably neither of those outlets has a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI). You can get a surge strip with built-in GFI, but these do not come cheap.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
By that description- not only is the kitchen not to proper code, but I'd be willing to bet that both recepticles and probably others outlets or light fixtures are all on the same circuit.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:27 AM

23,510 posts, read 69,890,838 times
Agree. No way is that to code or even up to 1950s standards. I'd want to tip off the fire dept for an inspection.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:44 AM

141 posts, read 209,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I'd be afraid to use one of those little inexpensive outlet taps for what the OP has in mind.
If the six outlet strip has a 15 amp breaker, then it is far safer than the Tripplite. That six outlet strip does not have tiny protector parts that have a history of creating house fires.

If the refrigerator plug is a three prong type, then it is post 1960s technology.

Best is to power from the stove outlet IF it is on a different circuit. So that an unexpected circuit breaker trip does not cause food poisoning. Of course, best for a kitchen (and other wet locations) is a GFCI type. But those (that are also safer than the Tripplite) are hard to locate.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 AM

23,510 posts, read 69,890,838 times
Isobars are in a metal casing. I have had them fail from bad power, and I assure you that they are unlikely to cause a fire. A cheap China surge suppressor, OTOH, would be a danger.

I can swap out an outlet with a three prong type in less than a minute. That does NOT make the wiring 1960s technology.

Stove outlets are typically 220 volt. Powering a refrigerator from one would be exciting to say the least.

Circuit breaker trips do not cause food poisoning, but if that is a concern of yours, a GFCI breaker would be about ten times or more worse at causing them.

Your post has some of the worst guidance and information I've seen in a long time. While I am certain you are trying to help, please spend more time vetting your ideas before disseminating stuff that has to be countered and corrected.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:12 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,459,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Isobars are in a metal casing. I have had them fail from bad power, and I assure you that they are unlikely to cause a fire. A cheap China surge suppressor, OTOH, would be a danger.

I can swap out an outlet with a three prong type in less than a minute. That does NOT make the wiring 1960s technology.

Stove outlets are typically 220 volt. Powering a refrigerator from one would be exciting to say the least.

Circuit breaker trips do not cause food poisoning, but if that is a concern of yours, a GFCI breaker would be about ten times or more worse at causing them.

Your post has some of the worst guidance and information I've seen in a long time. While I am certain you are trying to help, please spend more time vetting your ideas before disseminating stuff that has to be countered and corrected.
Unless it is a gas range and the outlet is to power the clock and oven light.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:42 PM

5,100 posts, read 6,009,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsztoo View Post
I'm moving into an apartment that only has one wall outlet (with two 3-prong outlets) above the countertop near the area designed for the fridge (only other wall outlet in the kitchen is behind the stove). I was thinking of buying one of these guys to help provide more outlets for countertop kitchen appliances:

GE-Grounded-6-Outlet-Tap

I'm not sure if this is safe to plug in a refrigerator though.
There isn't an outlet behind the Refrigerator location? I wouldn't expect to have to use an outlet above the counter for the Fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House