U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:00 PM

5,626 posts, read 5,063,705 times

Advertisements

Ugh, the joys of a 1920 home. Lol
When we moved in my uncle said the doorbell doesn't work but he didn't know why. So I took off the chime cover, no wires are connected. The front bell at the door is and the transformer in the basement is.

From the livingroom wall are 3 wires not labled. I stuck tape and numbered them. Inside the chime is a diagram I can't make heads or tails of. Of course google didn't help nor did my home depot diy book.
Its a 4 chime Miami-Carey bell.
Does anyone know which wires go where? I want to get this working.

Chime:

Diagram:

Wires in Living Room:

Wires to front doorbell:

Last edited by Ohky0815; 08-24-2014 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 AM

28,441 posts, read 71,017,319 times
Default Thi is not that hard, but there is probably something else going on...

Frankly that is a very clear diagram that is corresponds EXACTLY to the layout of the the connection shown in the photo.

If you test the transformer to verify it works and then test again at the "bundle of wires" both with and without someone pressing the button it ought not take anyone with even a little bit of competence just a few minutes to properly ID the wires.

The issue is WHY IS EVERYTHING DISCONNECTED? Maybe the transformer is shot. Maybe the chime actuator is shot. Maybe the button is shot.

While the older solenoid activated chimes sound much nicer and can handle three different doors it is much easier to get some "wireless" doorbell ...

Old 08-25-2014, 07:18 AM

393 posts, read 714,873 times
How many doors have buttons?, if more than 1 you are short a wire. That type of chime requires power from the transformer full time (2 wires) and 1 wire added for each door so if you have 2 doors it would require 4 wires, 3 doors 5 wires.

Looks like someone replaced a solinoid chime with a motorized chime and never could get it to work as they are missing wires.

Do all the wires splice at the transformer? and can you pull a new 5 wire cable from the chime to transformer. If you can it will be an easy fix.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Frankly that is a very clear diagram that is corresponds EXACTLY to the layout of the the connection shown in the photo.

If you test the transformer to verify it works and then test again at the "bundle of wires" both with and without someone pressing the button it ought not take anyone with even a little bit of competence just a few minutes to properly ID the wires.

The issue is WHY IS EVERYTHING DISCONNECTED? Maybe the transformer is shot. Maybe the chime actuator is shot. Maybe the button is shot.

While the older solenoid activated chimes sound much nicer and can handle three different doors it is much easier to get some "wireless" doorbell ...
The diagram looks easy but i dont know where the wires coming out of the wall connect on the chime. Newer chimes have only Front, Back and Trans, not A-E. I also dont really want a wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
How many doors have buttons?, if more than 1 you are short a wire. That type of chime requires power from the transformer full time (2 wires) and 1 wire added for each door so if you have 2 doors it would require 4 wires, 3 doors 5 wires.

Looks like someone replaced a solinoid chime with a motorized chime and never could get it to work as they are missing wires.

Do all the wires splice at the transformer? and can you pull a new 5 wire cable from the chime to transformer. If you can it will be an easy fix.
There is only 1 door. Each of the 3 wires has a gold and silver looking wire twisted if thats what you mean?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 AM

12,563 posts, read 48,795,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
The diagram looks easy but i dont know where the wires coming out of the wall connect on the chime.
The wires connect to the terminals where the "A", "B", "C", etc. is. Those terminals are springloaded- lift/or push the clamping part, insert the wire, and release.

By the diagram you only need "D" and "E". "Which wire is which" isn't really necessary if they're color coded. Definitely need a volt meter to check the transformer.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 AM

4,762 posts, read 11,058,502 times
Get a multimeter sold at home improvement stores, automotive stores, Radio Shack, etc.

One wire will have around 16 volts AC electricity on the two leads. Learn how to measure electricity with the multimeter - YouTube, search google.com for how to use a multimeter, etc.

Note batteries / cars use DC or Direct Current. Houses use AC or Alternating current. Some wired doorbells use AC as does yours. There are different settings on the multimeter to measure AC or DC.

The AC voltage of around 16 volts will come from the transformer. If no electricity is coming from that, it will need to be replaced.

Next...

Learn how to read continuity with the multimeter. Connect the multimeter to the other set of wires going to the doorbell switch - set to ohms or continuity. Have someone press and hold the switch. The multimeter should read a low ohms reading or continuity (the wires are being shorted by the switch).

Next...

When everything is working, connect the transformer wires to C and D. Connect one switch wire to B and the other to C (along with the wire from the transformer.

Ding Dong!

If you do not know how to do all this, go to a nearby college / university electronics class and ask if a student wants to make $20 and test / hook it up for you.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Im not sure, it doesnt make sense to me but my mom said my uncle may have disconnected it when he had a new front door installed and because he didnt label anything, he didnt know how it went back together.

I will get a voltmeter from my dad Wednesday and test the wires.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,816,131 times
Each of those three "wires" is really two wires, right? One set will be the transformer, and will have 16VAC across it if the transformer is working.

The other two sets go to a door, one to the front door and one to another door. Put your meter in "continuity" mode where it makes a sound if the two terminals are connected, put the probes on two wires from the same set, and have someone push the doorbell switch. If your meter sounds, that's the front door set; otherwise, try the other one. If neither one works, the wire or the doorbell switch is broken (you can use the meter to test the doorbell switch too)

Once you've identified the wires you need, you need a wire nut and one more short piece of wire. Connect one of the wires from the transformer set, one from the front door set (it doesn't matter which one), and your short piece using the wire nut. Attach the short piece to C. Attach the other wire from the transformer to D, and the other front door wire to B.

Optional: The third set you can ignore if there's no other doorbell. If there is another doorbell, test it the same way as you tested the front door, with your meter in "continuity" mode. If it works, attach one of those wires (again, doesn't matter which one) to the others with the wire nut, and the other wire to A or E depending on which chime you want.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:16 PM

Went to my parents and asked for the meter to which my dad said he didnt know where-- in the garage dad. lol. SO I went and found 1 but it needed a new battery, got that, then my dad stuck it in the light socket to test it. Oy... works.

Took it home and tested the bell by the door- nothing. The chime wires- nothing. Transformer- nothing. Either im doing it wrong or the transformer is bad im thinking.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:16 PM

12,563 posts, read 48,795,322 times
Check "both" sides of the trans?

Line voltage (110v) on one side, 16-18v on the other. If you don't have line voltage @ the transformer then you'll need to do some wire tracing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House