Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 04:59 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

As previously mentioned in other posts, I've been doing a little bit of early Spring Cleaning, reorganization so my landlords could come in and do some renovations on the apartment where I have been living for the past greater than a decade.

Well, they did the renovations Monday (and fixed my water heater so now doing dishes is a lot easier). The change in the apartment, of getting it ready so they can do work, has given me a massively different view on life, on how to approach the issue in figuring out "how do you want to live".

Of course, in a way, things haven't changed that much. Things have just been moved out of the way, boxed and put in other rooms, compressed into each other so the way could be opened up. But in those opened up passageways and more importantly, totally cleared off sofa, it is like a great burden on the mental energies, that has been sucking them up, is suddenly gone. I can, as my older brother might say, enjoy the spaces I have to live in.

I am someone to be moved and motivated by the images I see. Hence, this could be me
Images For > Woman Sitting On Sofa
Not entirely, my dog has passed on and my cat is older, and more possessive, but still, somewhere along the line, I learned that the sofa, especially a big one, is a necessary piece of furniture, a place to retreat to, to observe a world from.

"But shouldn't you build the house first before focusing on the very small details?". Well, that is perhaps one way to look at it but I rather think that how one wants things should flow outward and build from there. One thing I have noticed in my apartments is that one room, given the angle it has with the afternoon sun, is quite the sun room. There is a noticeable temperature difference from it to just walking into the hall way connecting it. Hence, a trig problem to figure out, something to incorporate if not build around.

So from the sofa, it is to proceed in one direction or another. Which ever way I go, there is something to be accomplished there. I am thinking of heading in the direction of the smaller sofa for at least two reasons. First, curio cabinet #2 (of 3) is that direction. Curio #1 has been the most accessible...and as such, it is the most crowded right now....and one of the boxes on the small sofa has curio items in it. Secondly, for as long as boxes have been sitting on the small sofa, what's in them will probably be easier to make a decision on..............and I believe me, I've been filling the recycling bins a lot.

I don't quite have the answers that I need but it seems a lot clearer now in how to find them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 12:47 PM

592 posts, read 1,477,742 times
I caught up with this thread.. reading through everything.

I see your situation as being not much different than a traditional home purchase where someone searches realtor.com. Well different in you have more flexibility.

What I mean is.. there are 100s of house plan sites out there on net. This thread has been going on a while, and I hope you've been going through those sites all this time.. being presented with styles and layouts, helping to "whittle down" the many options.
I saw your post about "H" style.. that's a good start. You could continue web surfing based on that, or start drawing plans on your own and present ideas.

And having 10acres, implies to me that you have some outdoor tendancies.. so maybe the main living area has a lot of glass to the outside, to bring the outdoors in.

A always loved th 2 story great room with all glass. My budget hasn't supported it.

Beyond that.. the thread is interesting but it seems to have turned into more of a personal blog than a specific question.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:18 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Maybe it has, about the blog I mean....or maybe it is just the way I approach things. I am one for constantly writing down my thoughts............but it is always good to get a second opinion, doncha' know?

I was doing more work in "the forest room" (because the bushes outside the window are rather high and can allow me to see myself in a Tom Baker "Dr. Who" Cloisters http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HqFU69WxCB...ister+room.jpg
) tonight and feeling, dreaming of the impressions I was feeling. Not to go into what I was feeling.....though there is a realistic point to whether the real forest room should open up into a courtyard, a real Cloister.......it is just one example at least of learning how to live.

Learn to relax and let the thoughts expand outward.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House