Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 02:57 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Intended or not it is offensive. No offense intended.
What you said is not offensive so that's not exactly clever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 04:02 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm trying to figure out what kind of rural area would have a Walmart. My nearest McD or Walmart is 20 miles away. Of course not all rural areas are suitable for farming, but if they are inhabited at all they produce something, either timber, minerals, food or fiber. Rural areas are based on production and manufacturing, so you can work on farms, in the woods, in mills, warehouses, transportation, or mines. If you are a land owner, your property produces new wealth every year, perhaps not enough to live on, but a nice supplement.
LOL here ... you're apparently ignorant of where Sam Walton made his start and the beginnings of his fortune in retailing. It wasn't in the big metro areas, it was in the RURAL communities of the USA. For me, it's 35 miles to a McD's or WalMart, and I'm happy to make the trip to WalMart when I need to shop there. MickeyD's? the golden arches are the sign of clean bathrooms and free WiFi when I'm traveling; haven't spent any money there in decades.
Given my choice of snacking on the traveling food I carry with me, creating a meal in my RV, or camping out vs a McD's foodlike substance ... I'll pass on McD's every time.

As well, you've completely missed another major segment of the rural economy of the USA: TOURISM.
Was just reading today that Yellowstone Nat'l Park has had one of it's biggest years ever. Do you know of any cities nearby? didn't think so. Same for many other tourist destinations around the USA, yet folk manage to live in the area to support the hospitality and service businesses of the tourist attractions.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:42 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
What you said is not offensive so that's not exactly clever.
Damn.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:07 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
You don't have as good Internet or cell phone service. You have to rely on electricity for your water (in assuming all rural homes have to rely on wells for water). If you need emergency help it takes longer for them to arrive. You have to have a car because its too far to walk anywhere. You can't walk anywhere. It's lonely because its so wide open and spread out. It seems its mostly older people who like to live in rural areas. Why? Is it because you think think its safer? It has its own dangers just like a city.
What dangers? Rural places are very safe

Old 09-08-2014, 09:43 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
But many (and I will venture most) rural dwellers do not live without other people.
An important point. Other than widows/widowers, most rural or even suburban denizens presumably don't live alone. True singles (no romantic significant other, no roommates, no parents or siblings in close proximity), from what I gather, tend to prefer cities, or a least towns. The a youthful or middle-aged sole occupant of a house on large rural estate would presumably be an eccentric, or an unfortunate. I speak from experience.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:37 PM

1,486 posts, read 292,425 times
Rural areas are actually a lot safer and some people don't like city bustle or many other people surrounding them. I still prefer the city though. If I had to move to a rural area, I would obviously choose some place fun and close to nature such as the Sierras or Wyoming.

Whenever I look at random houses in the barren desert on the i5 highway, I don't know why anyone in the world would want to live there. Places like Grapevine, CA I just can't stand because they barely have anything.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:54 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
]
Further, I'd wager that most of the persons happy living in a rural area either have families, or are widowed. Young or even middle-aged singles would have difficulty on a rural estate, even if the roads are good and internet access is fast.
Guess again. I'm in my 30's married. No kids. Not widowed. My family and my husband's family live 3 hours away. We both LOVE being in a rural area. Roads are fine until you get out into the middle of nowhere. I have Time Warner Cable for internet access.

I grew up in a rural area. My mother didn't drive until I was in 4th grade so we were home all the time except for the 1 day a week dad was off of work. We had cable. We had the outdoors. We kept ourselves busy. The internet didn't exist outside of the government then. Heck, the VCR wasn't even around yet!

Old 09-08-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
Well if you're married it may not be as bad. Living completely alone in the middle of no where? That'd be total hell.
I am alone quite often as my husband travels for work. I feel perfectly safe. It's far from hell. I have plenty of things to do to keep me busy.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others agree with you. I could never live in a big city and I don't even mean Manhattan. I can't stand cities. I don't like crowds. I don't like traffic. I like fresh air.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out what kind of rural area would have a Walmart. My nearest McD or Walmart is 20 miles away. Of course not all rural areas are suitable for farming, but if they are inhabited at all they produce something, either timber, minerals, food or fiber. Rural areas are based on production and manufacturing, so you can work on farms, in the woods, in mills, warehouses, transportation, or mines. If you are a land owner, your property produces new wealth every year, perhaps not enough to live on, but a nice supplement.
Plenty of rural areas in the Northeast have a McDonald's. Many also have a Wal-Mart. Subway is also popping up in many rural areas up here. I've also seen this in a few areas in the South. Never been west so I don't know about them.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:38 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I grew up in a rural area. My mother didn't drive until I was in 4th grade
What a coincidence! I didn't drive until I was in 4th grade as well. Another perk of living in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House