Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:42 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times

Advertisements

or, you know, the kids will get older and slow down. . . and as you get a bit older, your hearing will start to go. . . so you've got that going for you.

My mother lives in a downstairs condo and there's only one lady living upstairs--and even when she walks, you can hear the floor give way. Also, the lady who lives upstairs and just LOVES her potted plants--which drop soil down through her balcony onto my mom's outdoor furniture everytime it rains or she overwaters.

If it were an apartment, it's easier to take than if you own the place.

Oh, and don't ask the upstairs neighbor to quiet her kids. . . just. . . .don't. You could also consider buying the unit above you as a rental. . . just a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 02:38 PM

158 posts, read 143,956 times
It is not that easy to sound proof. I would suggest spending time over at Avsforums. Only doubling the wall board on the ceiling may not have the impact you want....

I was able to knock down the noise from my mechanicals in my basement home theatre as I basically put a bubble around it.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:23 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,079 times
Ok folks. You've convinced me. Don't buy. Back to square one. Now what

Old 09-10-2014, 03:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
Ok folks. You've convinced me. Don't buy. Back to square one. Now what
Can you find a top floor condo in a building that has an elevator? Or what about an over 55 condo community that doesn't allow children? There are patio homes that are like ranch duplexes, all one story houses but attached together.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:36 PM

I've been looking for a condo in a building with an elevator. They do exist. But I wanted to have some kind of buffer between the bedroom and the next unit, like a closet or a bathroom, and that seems to be quite unusual for some reason. A patio home would be perfect, but again I haven't been able to find one because most of them in Houston are in bad areas. I don't know why.

Because I don't have a lot of money, My choices always seem to be a decent house in a bad area or a house or condo, like this one, that has some deal-breaking issue in a good area, and now of course prices are so much higher than when I began looking a few years ago. But I won't give up hope. Something is out there for me.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:43 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
OP, I feel for you. Keep looking and one will come up.

Good decision to not buy the condo!

I bought a house and moved in to it in April of 2013, 3 days later a CRAZY neighbor moved in, (across the street and one house over) who made so much noise that by the end of June I knew I had to move again. I then bought another house, sold this one which I had just renovated, renovated the new one, and all in all am ahead of the game but it was such a HUGE amount of extra work and stress.

I would NEVER knowingly take a chance on living with noise like that. I be there's some yelling involved too when the hooligans misbehave and the mom is at her wits end.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:25 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My best self help solution in a building I managed was to cover the beautiful hardwood floors with commercial pad and a dense carpet plus floor to ceiling drapes in bedrooms and living room...

For the hard surface areas I left a little cushion backed vinyl in the kitchens and baths...

I did make a dramatic reduction... impact noise greatly diminished and sound transmission absorbed by the drapes...
In movies and television shows (reality shows also) that take place in New York City I've noticed that the apartments often will have this going on. I always thought it was just a matter of decorating tastes, but now I'm guessing it's to try to cut down on noise transmission.

Another poster mentioned concrete construction as eliminating this problem. I always thought that might be the case. I know from experience that wood frame houses and apartments/condos are horrible for noise transmission and creaking from footsteps, etc. I've always wished to find an apartment that was built with more commercial materials such as steel and concrete.

Most newer apartments here in Albuquerque are of the wood frame variety. The older ones from the 60s and 70s that are larger complexes seem to be made with concrete and steel, but none of those seem to have been updated, which is why I've never had experience renting them. I've made the decision to trade some privacy for having a nicer and newer apartment.

But it's hard living like this sometimes.

As I write this I can hear my neighbor downstairs having a conversation. I can fairly clearly make out what he is saying. It gets really uncomfortable sometimes.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
They do make condos in my area that are "soundproof"---if one is willing to pay. My friend had one. The music could be blasting and you could not hear it above/below/outside the door. You could never hear anyone in the other units. It was pretty great.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
They do make condos in my area that are "soundproof"---if one is willing to pay. My friend had one. The music could be blasting and you could not hear it above/below/outside the door. You could never hear anyone in the other units. It was pretty great.

I wish I could find one of these. I'm feeling like I'll never find the right place

Old 09-10-2014, 07:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
What about the over 55 communities that don't allow children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House