Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 12:28 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times

Advertisements

What always get me is the standard find something positive then trash the rest of the house on all three but the one they " choose" suddenly is absolutely perfect and couldn't live without in the follow up. No wonder!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,537 times
http://www.buzzfeed.com/gabbynoone/t...rs-say#34koko8

Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM

My personal favorite: "Natural light"!

They want a ton of windows for "lots of natural light". As opposed to what? Unnatural light?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:46 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Natural light = lots of windows and sunshine.... as opposed to lamps and light fixtures.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Natural light = lots of windows and sunshine.... as opposed to lamps and light fixtures.
Duh....I know that! It's just the catch phrase "natural light", as opposed to saying bright or airy, etc.

Whenever I hear natural light, I'm reminded of the cheap beer we all drank in college.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:54 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The thing that gets irritating is the ad nauseum "I must have stainless steel appliances, granite counters, and hardwood floors". Seriously, are people sheep or something?
You only have to read this very forum for about 10 or 15 minutes to discover that the answer to your question, sadly, is "Yes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
the fact that it is scripted should give them the leeway to make the dialogue more interesting, don't you think?
One would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And right there is the "duh" factor: What other kind of light do windows allow into the home?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
If you've watched 100 of them, well ok, maybe 1000 in my case!, then they are all the same. But despite the fakery, I think there are some first time buyers out there who do think along the lines that they are going to get everything they want for the price they want to pay. So I think it may be helpful for people to see that the reality always involves compromising on some factors, whether it's the specifics of the property, or if you and your partner have wildly divergent tastes, you will need to compromise there as well.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:03 PM

I wonder how long before HGTV changes the script to "Quartz counters"? It's already started on a couple of shows.....Property Brothers and Buying & Selling......they are using a lot of quartz vs. granite. Same on Flip or Flop...they are about half & half on using granite & quartz in their flips.

When the buyers on HH start asking for quartz, you'll know that granite is on the downward trend! That is, if you care about the trends.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:33 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
that some of the absolute pickiest buyers are the ones with the smallest budget???

They MUST have:
granite counters
SS appliances
hardwood floors
master retreat to rival a 5 star hotel
awesome curb appeal
large backyard with privacy
great school district

and their budget is like, $120k, for a suburb of DC. Yeah, good luck with that!

This show is so goofy and scripted. I still watch because I enjoy seeing house decor/style/prices in other parts of the country. But I really like the Property Virgins show with the host named Egypt. It's a little more realistic and gets into the details of making the offer, etc. And sometimes the buyers totally back out and decide to put their house hunt on hold. Much more realistic, IMO.
THAT is to promote the suburbs where it is cheap enough for them to get that. BUT what they don't say is how what they saved on the house, they'll pay in gas to get there from work back and forth, depleting themselves of vacation money etc.

I don't spend any time during the day in the master bedroom...like not even 10 minutes. The fact that they always want these massive masters is ridiculous...

I started watching Property Virgins from the first episode, and guess what, in the last 3 years they both started making those comments that "ohh, this won't stay on the market long enough" etc., to stress buyers out, and force them into a purchase they might otherwise not make.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:51 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I know it's scripted but still find myself watching for lolz.

The thing that gets irritating is the ad nauseum "I must have stainless steel appliances, granite counters, and hardwood floors". Seriously, are people sheep or something? Please don't tell me that everyone, or mostly everyone, must have all three of those things. I see nothing wrong with other types of appliances, hardwood floors were never a dealbreaker for me, and I do not like granite countertops.
So, because you don't want these 3 things, people are sheep? Obviously, there are a lot of people out there who like these 3 things. Heck, go into a new construction home and chances are, they will have all 3 of these things. Why? Because this is what majority of the people shopping for a home want. If everyone wanted carpet, white appliances and butcher block countertops, then this is what you would see in shows, in your home improvement stores, and for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House