Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 PM

570 posts, read 1,819,936 times

Advertisements

I have two little dogs and they found a red pen and busted it all over my wood floors! I've tried to mop it up with wood cleaner but it didn't come out all the way.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to to to remove the ink stains? Will I have to have my floors professionally cleaned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 02:55 PM

134 posts, read 1,221,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by complexsimplicity View Post
I have two little dogs and they found a red pen and busted it all over my wood floors! I've tried to mop it up with wood cleaner but it didn't come out all the way.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to to to remove the ink stains? Will I have to have my floors professionally cleaned?
Spot Shot will remove stubborn ink stains. You should be able to find this at Walmart or Sams Club.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:08 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
If it's soaked in enough, you won't be able to get it out without sanding it down, and even then you may be stuck with a stain. If it's too deep to sand out, then the only resort is to remove the pieces of flooring with the ink embedded in them and replace them with matching new pieces. It sounds difficult, but in all actuality it's pretty easy. Just takes some time. It's easy enough that a weekend home-improvement warrior could do it themselves.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:11 PM

134 posts, read 1,221,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
If it's soaked in enough, you won't be able to get it out without sanding it down, and even then you may be stuck with a stain. If it's too deep to sand out, then the only resort is to remove the pieces of flooring with the ink embedded in them and replace them with matching new pieces. It sounds difficult, but in all actuality it's pretty easy. Just takes some time. It's easy enough that a weekend home-improvement warrior could do it themselves.
Sounds good and if the OP is lucky, then repeated spraying and soaking up with a dry rag may work, if not your suggestion would be the best alternative. I've saved bits of wood from my floor for that very purpose should in case it's needed.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:16 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Sounds good and if the OP is lucky, then repeated spraying and soaking up with a dry rag may work, if not your suggestion would be the best alternative. I've saved bits of wood from my floor for that very purpose should in case it's needed.
They'll need to be very lucky . Wood is porous and tends to suck up any moisture on it. But we'll cross our fingers and hope for them.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:00 PM

23 posts, read 85,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by complexsimplicity View Post

try skinsosoft by avon
just dap at it as wiping might spred it.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:12 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
How about leaving it alone and using it as as conversation piece. If you have a daughter, you can always tell her date that it's from the last boy that brought her home late.

Sorry . . .

Old 12-28-2007, 05:39 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
You can try a contractor's solvent for stains, like Goo Gone or a similar product, but red stains are very difficult to remove. If you have extra pieces, you may want to replace the damaged piece - or get a throw rug.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:11 AM

570 posts, read 1,819,936 times
Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them. I hope I won't have to resort to sanding downt eh stained spots or replacing them, but I will if I really have to. Thanks again!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:00 PM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times
My dog ate a black sharpie and made a puddle stain on the new carpet. After I hypervenilated, I used goof off (orange spray bottle from HD) and blotted for days and finally got rid of it (the stain, not the dog!) I would test in inconspicous area as I do not know what type of finish is on the floor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House