Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,761 times

Advertisements

So, that's the problem.
They just throw these big white bags on their deck, wait for several days, then take them to the dumpster. No, it's not stinky, and I'm smell-blind anyways. I just dislike the view very much. Their deck is just couple of feet from the property border (they bought the house, they didn't build it this way).
They are unpleasant people, when the guy was chasing his dog on our lot and came face in face to me, he didn't even say "hi". We don't speak to each other, however, my overly nice DH waves to them. Women from that HH respond (DH is quite good-looking).
How do you deal with situations like this? We are off the city limits, our neighborhood rules say it's prohibited to store trash openly, but people violate it all the time (we had neighbors who would put up to 20 bags in their pick-up truck and let ravens feast on this pile. Luckily, they moved away). Yes, we live in a rural setting. The neighborhood is about 45 years old, if it matters.
I told my husband I want to make a fabrics fence and paint something on it to to block the view. He said it will be offensive to them. Will it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 08:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I told my husband I want to make a fabrics fence and paint something on it to to block the view. He said it will be offensive to them. Will it?
I doubt it. They throw trash bags on their damn deck.

I mean, it's nice that your husband is considering them when they haven't paid you two the same courtesy.

You make that fence, and don't you worry about it. THEY are the inconsiderate ones.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:56 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Didn't realize rural still means neighbors on top of you.

Do you have some kind of code enforcement who could hassle them?

If your husband is in good with the ladies then have him say something to them while smiling.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:41 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
If your neighbors deck is 10 yards from your front door, you are not in a rural setting.

I would ask first, call county second. If they are violating an ordinance then they can do something. If its some loosely crafted HOA type 'rule', well then it all depends on the bylaws that were written and how they are enforced.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:

It doesn't sound as though it matters whether it's offensive to them. Have they inquired as to whether you like the view of their garbage? Probably not. If they want to live like that, that's their choice but you don't have to look at it if you don't want to.

I will say though, once I started blocking out my nasty ass neighbor, he went out of his way to circumvent the block every step of the way. So if you're dealing with those "I love being trashy and want everyone to see it" kind of people, you might want to plan for a more permanent and private solution than a fabric fence especially if they let their dog run in your yard.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
At some point some critter will tear open the bags and they will have to deal with it. I'd just think of it as a self-limiting problem, especially if you add a little skunk oil to the chewed up bags...

Gotta agree though, that doesn't sound rural as much as suburban living.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:42 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
I would think crows, raccoons, possums, skunks, mice, etc. would be tearing into the bags to get at what's in there.

Heck, if I have too much garbage on garbage day so that my can's lid does not close all the way, I have a murder of crows that digs right in and feasts on whatever they can get until the truck swings by. Unfortunately, the truck does not come by until mid-afternoon, and since I work all day, I must put the can out in the morning, so sometimes, they can make quite the mess. I've gone to pouring some bleach or cleansers on the top to dissuade them, and sometimes it works, but man, those crows are messy.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:50 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
Quote:
So, that's the problem.
They just throw these big white bags on their deck, wait for several days, then take them to the dumpster. No, it's not stinky, and I'm smell-blind anyways. I just dislike the view very much. Their deck is just couple of feet from the property border (they bought the house, they didn't build it this way).
They are unpleasant people, when the guy was chasing his dog on our lot and came face in face to me, he didn't even say "hi". We don't speak to each other, however, my overly nice DH waves to them. Women from that HH respond (DH is quite good-looking).
How do you deal with situations like this? We are off the city limits, our neighborhood rules say it's prohibited to store trash openly, but people violate it all the time (we had neighbors who would put up to 20 bags in their pick-up truck and let ravens feast on this pile. Luckily, they moved away). Yes, we live in a rural setting. The neighborhood is about 45 years old, if it matters.
The only way to handle this is to buy some propriety with acreage and build a home smack in the middle of it! That's what we did after years of living amongst people! ... Otherwise you just have suck it up!

Old 09-24-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
The only way to handle this is to buy some propriety with acreage and build a home smack in the middle of it! That's what we did after years of living amongst people! ... Otherwise you just have suck it up!
Won't work. I can't live w/o city utilities. And I have so much nature around that I never would pay for a chunk of it.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I would think crows, raccoons, possums, skunks, mice, etc. would be tearing into the bags to get at what's in there.
We just have ravens, and they don't like porches. No racoons, possums, skunks for ~2000 miles around.
You gave me an idea, though. I'll hang this curtain/fence and will paint a skunk on their side of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House