Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:58 PM

404 posts, read 2,616,165 times

Advertisements

what are great granites for light wood cabinets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 03:00 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Depends on if you want something mild, or something that contrasts dramatically with the cabs. We did tons of natural maple cabs with either Uba Tuba or Absolute Black tops, and they looked great. If you're looking to be more on the safe side, you can go with Almond Mauve or Giallo Veneziano.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:24 PM

878 posts, read 2,737,715 times
We did Tan Brown with our maple cabinets and love it.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:01 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
I have used engineered quartz in a ton of houses, has waranty, unlike granite, never needs sealing, and is much harder than granite. The NSF has vetted this product for commercial kitchens, which means it is not porous, unlike granite, so no bacteria can hide! My personal fave is Cambria, they have a line which really looks like granite. My fave color for light wood is Victoria. I am an interior designer, and this color seems to work really well with contemporary and more traditional designs.Good luck!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:47 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,776,274 times
i think if i did something like that, i'd go contrast, and put in a dark counters ... my current kitchen is all neutral ... i have nothing that contrasts ... sorta ticked at myself for going that route.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:47 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
You absolutely must go look at individual slabs (they come in lots)....you really can't tell by looking at a granite sample what your actual slabs will look like.

Engineered quartz will melt and there is no way to fix it when it does. I think some engineered quartz is beautiful but it is not perfect as some would have you think.

Sealing granite takes 1/2 an hour each year....I do it myself and it is simple and quick....and the variations in each of our slabs are amazing and unique...no one will have countertops exactly like ours and I like that.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:26 AM

[quote=Cattknap;2374767]You absolutely must go look at individual slabs (they come in lots)....you really can't tell by looking at a granite sample what your actual slabs will look like.

Engineered quartz will melt and there is no way to fix it when it does. I think some engineered quartz is beautiful but it is not perfect as some would have you think.

Sealing granite takes 1/2 an hour each year....I do it myself and it is simple and quick....and the variations in each of our slabs are amazing and unique...no one will have countertops exactly like ours and I like that.[/quote

You are thinking of Corian or Jettastone, those are resin based products and will melt.
Quartz has no resin, and will not melt, and is far harder on the Moh's scale, it is 4 clicks down from diamonds.
I like to use 3 or 4 colors when I am designing a kitchen, gives a far more custom look, even when the client is on a budget.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:53 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
The quartz engineered counters most certainly do have resin. It is what binds it together. Not a high percentage - something like 5%, but resin it is.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:27 PM

as I said in my first post, Cambria and Silestone have been vetted by the National Sanitation Foundation for use in commercial kitchens. They will not allow any type of porous material for countertops. This is a national standard. I have done dozens of commercial kitchens in my career as an interior designer, and used these products, they will NOT melt. They are actually put together with a non-resin epoxy.
I have learned all this due to the fact that I own my business, and its my name on the bottom line as far as knowledge of all products that I use in my work.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:38 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You absolutely must go look at individual slabs (they come in lots)....you really can't tell by looking at a granite sample what your actual slabs will look like.

Look at slabs- definitely true. Take a cabinet door with you, for the best visualization of color coordination.
Engineered quartz will melt? Maybe if I was using a plasma cutter, or better yet- my blow furnance overflowed onto my countertop. Please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House