Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:33 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,980,832 times

Advertisements

Another option.........start putting your garbage in his trash bin. {nothing with your name on it, of course}

After all, it is right on the walkway, so why wouldn't other people use it?

In effect, since it is on the walkway, it is a public trash can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 02:34 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,041,065 times
If it's not on your property, then it's not your issue.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:39 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,258,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Another option.........start putting your garbage in his trash bin. {nothing with your name on it, of course}
I seriously considered this. LOL.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:40 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,048,605 times
Technically it is on the original poster's property because his trash bin is leaning on her fence, the fence she owns, she paid for and she had installed around her property.
If the can was not leaning on the fence (her property) then she would have no right to say anything but since it is leaning on the fence (her property) she has every right to remove it from leaning on the fence and ask that it not be put there leaning on the fence (her property).

Old 10-12-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

After all, it is right on the walkway, so why wouldn't other people use it?

In effect, since it is on the walkway, it is a public trash can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I seriously considered this. LOL.
I would do it.

He won't like it any more than you like his trash bin against your fence.....and will probably move his bin far away from you to get you to stop.

Mission accomplished.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:49 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,778,811 times
It's not on your property. It doesn't inconvenience you. It doesn't concern you. Be a good neighbor. MYOB.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:00 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,428,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
A very simply nice conversation is in order here , " _______ ( insert his name) maybe you don't know but it seems your placing your trash bin up against my fence and on my property . I know it's kinda of a small thing but for some reason it really bothers me . I'd really appreciate it if you could move it away from my fence and the common walkway. thanks , I appreciate it"
Seems like that would be clear , non confrontational communication ....
This.

Then the next time he does it, confiscate the trash bin.

OK, maybe not - I just realized that though it's touching your fence, it's not on your property. His trash bin is apparently on common property.

I think I'd just move it. Every time. Put it square in the middle of his yard. Every. Single. Time.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,255,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Except that, as the OP stated in #12, his trash bin is NOT on her property. It may be leaning up against her fence but that's all.

I agree that it's probably aggravating but some of the suggestions given here are passive-aggressive at best and inviting more trouble at worst. Reporting it to the HOA might make you feel better but, chances are, the HOA wont get involved in a dispute like this. And, if the HOA does make him move his trash bin, be prepared that you may be in for more trouble, even danger.

You've apparently already upset this guy. My suggestion would be to make friends with him: smile and wave HI whenever you see him, share cookies with him, etc. Dont mention the trash bin ever. Perhaps, over time, his attitude toward you may change and he may move the trash bin on his own.

It's also partially blocking the community walkway and could possibly get the OP in trouble with the HOA for HIS trash can that could look like it's HER trash can doing that. Reporting him to the HOA would at least ward that off.

As for upsetting him, I'm guessing that fencing in her yard which he had apparently considered an extension of his own is what did that. In other words, living her life in a normal fashion.

Your advice is basically to cower and take it. My suspicion is that doing that would simply encourage him to escalate his "I can do whatever I want wherever I want" bullying behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Firstly, my next-door-neighbor is a nosey tool. No really, he is.

He's made snarky remarks about my house.
Before I built a fence around my yard, he's come into my yard uninvited.
I've seen him dropping his loose trash into other neighbors' trash bins.

He's been in his house since it was built (24 years); I moved into my home 5 months ago. We both own.

Ultimately, he's a bit of an a$$ and he has boundary issues.

His latest habit is keeping his big trash bin right up against my backyard fence (not in his yard, but against the part of my fence that is along the community walkway--obstructing part of the walkway). It's strange because his yard is not fenced in and there is plenty of room for his trash bin. I guess he just doesn't want to sully his yard by keeping his trash bin on his property.

The first time I noticed it, I moved the bin to the sidewalk (where community trash is picked up). A little passive-aggressive on my part, I know. He moved it back to in front of my fence. I don't like knocking on neighbors' doors unannounced so... Yesterday, I placed a very nice note on the trash bin and moved it away from my fence. The note said "Hello, please stop putting your trash bin on my fence. I keep my trash bin on my own property because it's an eyesore to others and inconvenient to those passing by the property. Thank you! Very respectfully....your neighbor."

Today, the trash bin is back on my fence.

I want to go to the HOA, but I'm not sure if this is silly. It's annoying as hell, but is it a silly thing to take to HOA? Also, the last thing I want is a neighbor feud. The HOA docs state that trash bins should be stored out of sight on non-pick up days.

And, yes, I know the bin is his. He keeps his recycle bin in his yard (just not the trash bin).

Old 10-12-2014, 03:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,255,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This.

Then the next time he does it, confiscate the trash bin.

OK, maybe not - I just realized that though it's touching your fence, it's not on your property. His trash bin is apparently on common property.

I think I'd just move it. Every time. Put it square in the middle of his yard. Every. Single. Time.
I like this one.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:19 PM

If the bin is on common property, it is perfectly acceptable for the OP to use it to dispose of her garbage.

Strictly speaking, OP cannot stop him from putting his bin on common property.

Strictly speaking, he cannot stop OP from using a trash bin on common property.

So, if the neighbor does not want her to use his trash bin, his only option is to put it on his own, private property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House