Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 10:31 PM

216 posts, read 750,955 times

Advertisements

Today, painter painted 2 coats of BM Aura (matte) to the walls in 4 rooms, however only one seems covering well the previous paint, all other three, the previous color still could not be fully covered, so I could see different shade of color on the wall. On BM website, it says one coat Aura should do the job, how come it is still not working after 2 coats?? Is this the Aura paint or the painter's issue?

This is the first time that I saw a painter doing painting work. He first did the prep work, fill holes etc., then using brush, he painted only the section along the trim and edge of all the walls, finally he used the paint rolls to paint the remaining area, the area painted by brush, actually covered much better then the area using the roll. One wall has deep green color previously, I chose Tudor Cream as new color, but after 2 coats using rolls, the greenish color was still bleeding through.

Anyone had similar issues before? Painter said he will paint third coat tomorrow. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,777,347 times
I'd wait until tomorrow to make the call on a third coat. The interior paints today are a dry hide paint. That means they cover when they are dry. While it may feel dry to the touch, it takes about 8 hours for most to dry hide. Some take longer depending on the humidity. It can also be an issue with the paint it covered. If the old paint was a high clay based paint, no paint will cover it in two coats and it should have been primed. Usually a painter can tell if it's a clay based paint by running your hand over the surface. If it "feels" chalky, it's a clay base. You will not get any color on your hands, it just feels chalky. Clay based paints are normally price point paints.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:05 PM

671 posts, read 884,431 times
I would have never touched it without a sealer coat first....

Old 10-15-2014, 06:02 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,482,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artking09 View Post
Today, painter painted 2 coats of (whatever)
One wall has deep green color previously, I chose Tudor Cream as new color...
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
I would have never touched it without a sealer coat first....
^^What he said.

On the bargain paint front...
I've recently tried the "Cover & Go" sold for $9.97 at Lowes (made by Valspar).
I used some over the winter when I painted the joists in my utility room.
I expected that job to need 3 coats and it did an OK job for me.

Their flat wall paint did a terrific one coat job (slightly darker shades than before).
No bleed through, nice even color, rolled well.

The semi gloss, used in closets, bathroom, kitchen, didn't do well at all.
After two coats (and over primer as most was new wall) I still wasn't happy
so I went up in grade to a Glidden (still under $20). All is good.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:52 AM

22,262 posts, read 47,190,693 times
Putting cream over dark green.... I definitely would have used a primer first!

You probably WILL need three coats in that case.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:52 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,526,445 times
I had white walls and my professional painters did a primer coat before they did the walls in a light grey color. Very surprised that the painter would even consider doing the job without a primer coat.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:50 AM

216 posts, read 750,955 times
Aura has primer in it already, at least that is what they claim. Maybe the tudor cream color is not good at covering.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:20 AM

22,262 posts, read 47,190,693 times
Still would use a primer first.... no matter WHAT they claim. Because the problem is the dark green currently on the wall.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:13 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,526,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artking09 View Post
Aura has primer in it already, at least that is what they claim. Maybe the tudor cream color is not good at covering.
I think the problem is the dark green walls and maybe someone who "also does painting" vs. full time professional painters.

My painters only use BM paint and used a primer before they used the regular paint - and my walls were white to start! I can't imagine not using a primer when you started with dark green walls.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:10 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,463,469 times
Regardless of the wall color I've always done a tinted primer then went to the final coats. I also use Benjamin Moore but go with Regal flat. I've got a nice gallon of Ultra Spec for the trim and door work I've been doing. The room below had one coat of tinted primer then two coats of the Regal flat, took the room from some awful purple blue to a nice light gray.

When we bought

Now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House