Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:38 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Just another example of us becoming a police state. Dangerously bordering on communist. At least totalitarian under the bush dictatorship regime.

I lived within an hour of the Pennsylvania Amish. We went often and walked among them. We owned a summer place at the Redwood Lodge right in the heart of Amish country. I dare anyone to show me an example of an Amish built home or barn that blew over, fell down, collapsed, or in any way caused bodily harm to any person by defect.

Ok now think of some examples of stick built, county inspected homes that fell down, blew over, whatever. I know there are too many to list here.

I am a Carpenter by cruel definition. I am a Master Craftsman of fine woodworking so let me be the first to say that the Amish way of building is old world craftsmanship. Something most people will never see or touch with their own hands. It is a dying/dead art. No need for fine woodwork anymore, Walmart sells cheap corrugated cardboard furniture.

Say NO to more government intervention into our lives. Since 2001 our freedoms have greatly deteriorated. Lets stop it now !
Thank you! Amish craftsmanship is indeed a dying art in our disposable society, and I agree with everything you have stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 05:49 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I'm guessing you'd be singing a different tune if somebody build a non-code compliant house next door to yours.
You would be guessing wrong then. What my neighbor does on his property and in his house is his business. I don't pay his mortgage or taxes. What right do I or anyone have to tell him what to do. However, I expect the same courtesy. Leave me alone on my property.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:48 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,823,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
You would be guessing wrong then. What my neighbor does on his property and in his house is his business. I don't pay his mortgage or taxes. What right do I or anyone have to tell him what to do. However, I expect the same courtesy. Leave me alone on my property.
So you don't care if your neighbors house is a tumble down shack, with sewerage draining out onto your property? And you don't care if your neighbor's kids are in danger of freezing, being burned to death, or being poisoned by carbon monoxide? Live and let live, you say?

I'm very intrigued by this thought process. So are you against all laws, or just building codes?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:00 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
So you don't care if your neighbors house is a tumble down shack, with sewerage draining out onto your property? And you don't care if your neighbor's kids are in danger of freezing, being burned to death, or being poisoned by carbon monoxide? Live and let live, you say?

I'm very intrigued by this thought process. So are you against all laws, or just building codes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
ya know, thats just sad. Here in Fl the builders do such a shoddy job, I would welcome some amish guy that didnt build to code..... we all know what happened here in '04 with all the hurricanes.
You ought to see the mess that lives next to us...... they are house painters, and just dump the leftovers out on their property, H2O runs onto our property...... we have complained repeatedly to the County for years, and are ignored, they also have buildings that were built without pulling permits, let alone inspected for code..... so whats worse, an Amish craftsman or what i have just described?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:36 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,446 times
Quote:

If his sewage is draining onto MY property, you bet I'll be concerned; it's not his property, it's my property. If he offers to pay part of my mortgage and taxes, we can talk about it. If he is a bad parent to his kids, that is between him and the county/city government. I am not the police force and since I've never raised kids I would be the last one qualified to give advice on parenting. Yes, I believe in live and let live.

Perhaps I could be described as a libertarian, with some exceptions.

Building codes and building permits seem to me as a way for the town to extract money out of property owners. I'll grant you that they are well intended, but many are used just as a harrassment tool when needed to keep residents in line. In the past, I have been a victim of these types of laws and know others who fought city hall and won against these types of laws. I have very strong feelings on this topic and these laws together with the arbitrariness on how they are enforced.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:36 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,330 times
Here's a report with a little more info on the reasons.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/263327

Amish houses don't always withstand the weather. There was a huge tornado outbreak about 20 years ago in western PA and OH. The Amish buildings were destroyed like everyone else's. But the Amish rebuilt a lot faster. They banded together to build wile everyone else waited for insurance companies.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
It's his house and he lives in it. What business is it of the county. Typical government meddling in people's lives. I don't see why the county inspector cares. After all, he doesn't live in the house. His property, his business.
That is fine so long as I can use the same argument. I am not saying that building codes are right or wrong. I am just saying that, if the codes are the LAW for me, they should apply to the Amish as well.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 AM

210 posts, read 821,376 times
If you want to eliminate the building codes, that's fine. Work to do that. As long as the building codes are on the books, however, they need to be applied across the board, to everyone.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:39 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
Quote:
Oh please. Building codes are nothing new. And since the article didn't mention what codes are being violated, they could have been electrical, sewer, or anything else that could cause health or safety issues. Laws are laws. If you don't like like the laws, vote with your feet by moving somewhere without building codes, or vote at the polls and change the laws. Anything else in anarchy.
You probably should not have bothered to post to this thread because you do not know. Amish do not use Electric or sewer as you suggested. They do not even have indoor plumbing. They do have an outdoor well and there is not a uniform code in the nation that dictates a single word about that untill a feed line enters a dwelling.

So that only leaves one item left that the uniform code looks at and enforces. Building standards. Like I mentioned earlier, Amish are the last of the true craftsman. In many cases they build their homes and barns without even using a single nail. None ! Entire structures are held together by tight interlocking hand carved joinery.

And another thing. When was the last time in the last 20 years that voting changed anything let alone silly little useless laws that help no one but the coffers that the fines fill?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:01 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You ought to see the mess that lives next to us...... they are house painters, and just dump the leftovers out on their property, H2O runs onto our property...... we have complained repeatedly to the County for years, and are ignored, they also have buildings that were built without pulling permits, let alone inspected for code..... so whats worse, an Amish craftsman or what i have just described?
kshe I have a hard time believing this.

If they dump paint on their lawn, they have other problems and they are not with the state. The DEP or EPA or whatever they call it in your area is obviously a Federal agency and they will fine them in massive numbers. They will also label their yard an environmental disaster which will make it eligable for federal disaster funds to clean it. Then they will go after the polluters for criminal prosecution. What you claim your neighbor does is a very serious Federal crime.

You complained to the county for years? Have you tried Zoning? Part of your property taxes pay those clowns to see to it zoning ordances are kept. If not then try the Mayor. If he dont care then perhaps you should consider running for the hills.

I also have a hard time believing anyone built buildings without permits. If I were to even try to put new vinyl siding on a home without one they are at the job before I can even rip open the boxes of siding. If I were to do electical or plumbing and did not have it inspected before I closed up the walls then the Building Inspectors have the power of law to force you to tear it all back out. If you do not then you will never get a CO (cert. of occupancy) and without that you can never sell your home or remortgage it, and in many cases, insure it. If there was a loss, insurance would not pay for it if work was done without inspection approval.

Your government as is all government is as useless as braille on an ATM driveup machine but give them the old college try. They do have to build up brownie points for the next election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House