Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:21 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

I need your experiences with mattresses! I am FED UP with my mattress. After spending a bunch of money on a fancy memory foam mattress, I have decided it was the worst decision ever. I wake up every morning in pain and feeling like I didn't even get any sleep at all. I can't take it anymore and am in the market for a new mattress. I'm pretty sure that I want to go with an innerspring mattress and want nothing - zilch, nada - with memory foam. I am neither here nor there with pillow top.

What mattress have you had that has been a good one for you? I would say we're right in the middle on firm versus soft. I would like to spend no more than $1500 for the mattress only (king). Anyone have a mattress they love? I always find mattress shopping a confusing process with no idea on what matters and doesn't when it comes to construction. Initially the memory foam felt so nice but it didn't take long before I began to detest it because I needed more support and it's so darn hot. Obviously, I suck at this and would LOVE anyone's experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 07:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
We have a place here called Cantwell Mattress that also makes them for hotels and commercial use. They can custom make any mattress you like. Size, your weight, height, hardness, doesn't matter, they can make it. I had them make me one two years ago after a top of the line Simmons was garbage after 2 years. The inner spring frame is 3 times larger than the Simmons and is reversible. I have pillowtop on both sides. Finding a reverible around here was impossible as they all wanted to quote that it was a fire hazard. Cantwell didn't have a problem making me one that meets all current fire code standards. Might want to Google commercial mattress manufacturer in your area and see what pops up. Cantwell could probably make you one and ship it but you'd have a hard time explaining how soft or hard you want it.
San Antonio Mattress Store | Adjustable Beds San Antonio | Corpus Christi Mattress Store |Cantwell Mattress

Old 10-22-2014, 11:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
We're now on our second Stearns & Foster coil mattress and have been very happy with them from both comfort and durability standpoints.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I decided against buying because I didn't want to spend the money (closer to $3000 than $1500) but I tried out a Stearns & Foster hybrid bed - springs plus some memory foam - and it was amazingly comfortable. The hybrids seem to the hottest new thing, and I think in many brands that is what the top of the line item will be.

I guess this doesn't really help if you are completely against any memory foam at all, but that was what was out there when I've been shopping the past few weeks. I decided to keep my current mattress and buy a new one for my son - I was going to give him my current one and get a new one for myself but he's 10 and 60 lbs and I can get away with a much less expensive one for him! lol!

Old 10-23-2014, 08:38 AM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
I always bought pillow top Siemens and they were great for at least 5 years of their life (I keep them for almost 10 years). Then early this year when it was time to buy a new one, I have been reading about the memory foam mattress and ended up buying one but so far I am not happy with it. I sleep but I don't feel refreshed in the morning as what lots of people claim. I don't know if it's the mattress type or it's just me. I am going to buy some new pillows and see if this will make a change. I don't think my neck is lined up properly with the way the mattress sink under my weight. I am debating on going back to a good old spring mattress, but the cost is really high and I don't feel I can spend this money again.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:03 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Original mattress factory (they have one location somewhere in SC) still makes reversible mattresses. The top of the line king we looked at (pillow top, etc..) was in the $1500 range a couple of years ago.

So very affordable compared to "brand names" that you'll buy at other furniture stores.

If they're remotely close to you, go and stretch out and test them.

It is very hard to still find reversible mattresses as the other poster mentioned. OMF is one of the only manufacturers I know of that still makes them.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:27 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
We are very happy with our Original Mattress Factory set!

Old 10-23-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I always bought pillow top Siemens and they were great for at least 5 years of their life (I keep them for almost 10 years). Then early this year when it was time to buy a new one, I have been reading about the memory foam mattress and ended up buying one but so far I am not happy with it. I sleep but I don't feel refreshed in the morning as what lots of people claim. I don't know if it's the mattress type or it's just me. I am going to buy some new pillows and see if this will make a change. I don't think my neck is lined up properly with the way the mattress sink under my weight. I am debating on going back to a good old spring mattress, but the cost is really high and I don't feel I can spend this money again.
You too? Yep - I've bought new pillows, new fiberbed, etc and I'm just exhausted when I wake up! The bad part is that I didn't buy this bed that long ago but long enough that it's out of that 'guarantee' period. So, trying to convince the hubby to spend yet more money on yet another mattress has been a challenge. Hopefully, $1500 for just a mattress is enough.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:28 PM

I've seen the Stearns and Foster brand at the store but haven't seen the Original Mattress Factory yet. Have to check those out.

I am not crazy that they all seem to be hybrid with memory foam in them but maybe if I bought something with more coils and less foam or a minimal amount, that might make a difference. I think I am so adverse to the memory foam now because of my experience that I am a bit gun shy about it.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:55 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Try the Sleep Number bed...you can dial in your firmness/softness, and with king/queen sizes, you can use separate firmness ratings on each side. So if you and your SO always argue about the mattress, now you can dial your own side. (Doesn't help with other argumants, though).

Never heard of anyone who tried it and didn't like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House