Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:57 AM

4,265 posts, read 6,255,166 times

Advertisements

When we did our kitchen remodel/addition, we had to let the contractors be home without us there. We cleaned up our home office and locked up all financials in our file cabinets. We also put all valuables (including our lock box with birth certs, SS cards and passports) in our master bedroom and had our very vocal dog locked up in there during the day. His bark was worse than his bite, but they didn't know that. He sounded vicious when he barked but he was a sweetheart who would welcome a burglar and show him around the house if the opportunity arose. *lol*

We recently had a lot of work done around the house and either my husband or I was home whenever they were there. We now have a pitbull mix - a great dog, and definitely protective of the family. I made sure the contractors all knew he was a *fantastic* guard dog, just in case they thought about coming back when we weren't home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 11:05 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,344,851 times
Simply put, no.

If you have Anything that can't be replaced, then you need to either lock it up or take it somewhere else. Unfortunatly, every room in my house has stuff that I simply couldn't replace. Ivory carvings collected while living in Nome, AK, Silverwork (carvings/castings/etc..) from my time in Juneau, AK. LOTS of Navajo stuff (rugs, jade/jewlery, artifacts) from my time living on the Navaj res. Shoshoni beadwork from Wyoming... (wife worked for Indian Health, we've lived on a large number of reservations and spend a lot of money on local stuff while there). Maybe it won't grow legs, but the risk simply isn't worth it.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:04 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,546,425 times
I did during my 3+ week basement renovation. I was there when they arrived, but left for work soon after. There were only 2 guys there at a time and I did my research up front and used a contractor recommended by a relative who had worked with them prior. The contractor has been in business locally for over 20 years. Luckily, I'm only 15 minutes from home, so I could go home & surprise them if I wanted. I purposely choose jobs/homes near each other in case I need to run home to check on my dog, but in this case, it worked out well too.

I recommend exchanging contact information & having a discussion about how you want them to handle communication from you & what your expectation are. My contractor wasn't always on site, but his two employees were. I had cell phone numbers for all people who had access to my house. Also, I recommend you establish some kind of guideline as to how they inform you of changes in their work schedules so you aren't left wondering where they are and when they'll arrive.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:38 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,262,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

And I thought to myself- "I'm sorry, would you rather take time from me or my subs personal and family time and do it on Sunday?"
Yeah, come on Sunday I won't be at work, I'll be home and I can supervise you. In fact, I ask if contractors can work on the weekend.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,198,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We have.... with no hesitation and zero problems.

But we have always dealt with reputable local companies that are recommended by friends.
No random strangers or out of town subs.
Like this answer. My guy often works in homes while the owners aren't there. They give him a key or leave one hidden for him. He does remodels that take sometimes several weeks. He works alone but if he has a crew he wants to do background checks on all of his workers. He has a Thumbtack account, too, and has paid for his own background check, should anyone want one. And really, why wouldn't you want one?

Interview your contractor and go with your gut instinct. Locking up the meds is a great idea, too.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:20 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,442,010 times
Other security precautions I can think of include ensuring all of the windows and doors are locked when they're done. Issue of trying to gain access to the house again through those points of entry.

If one is paranoid enough about electronic equipment being bugged, I guess you could find a way to do an electronics sweep, although I will confess, while I don't doubt this does happen, much of it is from watching a bit too many movies, TV, and one Lifetime move with an acquaintance

Old 10-28-2014, 05:45 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,308,731 times
Well, we just had our "start of the work" meeting as they came in to start demo today. We will be here every morning when they show up, then I showed him the garage door opener and told him to close it and just go out the side door when he's done. He asked if we wanted to hide a key so he could lock up on his way out. I said, "Naw, my son will be in and out, we've got security cameras and I've got two neighbors in the court who are complete busy-bodies and watch everything that goes on. I'm not worried about the side door being unlocked for a couple hours." LOL

Old 10-28-2014, 06:03 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,546,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
... I said, "Naw, my son will be in and out, we've got security cameras and I've got two neighbors in the court who are complete busy-bodies and watch everything that goes on. I'm not worried about the side door being unlocked for a couple hours." LOL
Love this! Very smart. Even if you don't have security cameras or a nosey neighbor, your contractor doesn't need to know that!

Old 10-28-2014, 07:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,297,557 times
Contractors have been working on my house all month and I am usually not there. I just give them the code to the garage.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,777,347 times
My guys are not allowed in a house if the owner is not home. If the H/O has scheduling issues, I have a security guard contact the owner to set up a schedule when the security guard is available and then we do the work. The guy I use is a police officer that works on his days off. We do not and will not work weekends. Everybody needs time off and the weekend is it for my guys. At closing, the H/O signs a notice that he must make the property available to us during normal business hours, Monday thru Friday. So far, it's worked well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House