Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:50 PM

44,589 posts, read 61,412,482 times

Advertisements

We have 2 homes with 2 econo toilets. The one house has Kohler Elongated and they work great, the other has 2 American Standard and they usually take 2-3 flushes to empty completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 11:51 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,560,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Because it's in your cute new little bathroom, and it's wearing a necklace.
But of course - It's a girl toilet.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:41 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,118,518 times
I've been toilet shopping too, as I want to replace the builder install toilets in my new build, before we even move in. They wanted a ridiculous amount of money for an upgraded toilet.

I've been looking at Toto but where we are currently staying, they have a Toto Aquia, and frankly, I'm not impressed. Same issue as the OP mentioned, with it not flushing clean. Are the other models better than this one?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:02 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,560,490 times
I am sure that both Toto and Kohler make some good toilets. My issue with Toto was simply THE PRICE. I knew that Kohler had to make a decent toilet that "did the job required" - surely!

We didn't buy ours at a "big box store." We went to a shop specializing in fixtures that were a step (or several steps) above spec house grade. They carried Toto and Kohler and several other brands. We just asked which were the best in each brand and then asked if there were any appreciable differences for the price on the best of each. They told us "no difference whatsoever" when you choose between the better of each brand. So we saved a couple hundred dollars by buying an upper end Kohler vs an upper end Toto. We spent a little over $300 instead of $700.

Oh, one other thing to consider. Do you want the curly things and exposed nuts and bolts (that you have to cover up with the little caps) on either side, or do you want flat sides? I prefer the flat sides. You'll pay a bit more but they're so much easier to clean.

Also, do you want a handle or a push button to flush?

I prefer less water usage over water waste but I don't want to trade one problem for another (less water usage but not as clean a bowl). But we were still able to find a Kohler toilet that used less water but has a powerful flush. Our toilet has a button on top that has two settings (the button is split in half so you can push either side). One side activates a flush that uses more water and one side activates a flush that is more gentle. You can guess which you use for which purpose!

Old 10-30-2014, 07:15 AM

8,562 posts, read 12,336,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sorry, butt. I need to talk about toilets.
Oops. I misread your heading.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:35 AM

19,631 posts, read 22,496,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Not anymore.

One of the claims to fame on the Toto's is the sanigloss, it's advertised to be super slippery, so nothing sticks. Welcome to TOTO
But, most of the newer toilets have a similar surface for much less the cost.

When I needed to replace the toilets, I considered Toto's. I really, really wanted a Toto. Turned out I needed 2 toilets, and the first one was in the hall bath. I didn't want to put the expensive toilet in there. And then I decided that I didn't want to pay $500+ for a toilet anyways. I bought the Kohler Cimarron at Home Depot. Works like a dream, and super easy to clean. I now have two since early 2014, and I've only had to clean the bowl once. Apparently the flush is so powerful, it cleans the bowl at the same time.

Here is the best comparison website (& forum for all your potty-related questions)
Terry Love's Consumer toilet reports, a report and reviews on toilets
The sanigloss is not the reason I love my Toto- it's the fact that it hasn't clogged EVER. The design creates a flush power that is simply amazing for a low flow toilet.

Coupled with the fact that the seat is the most ingenious design ever- It's really quite amazing- makes the Toto drake the only toilet I will ever consider buying again.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 AM

19,631 posts, read 22,496,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am sure that both Toto and Kohler make some good toilets. My issue with Toto was simply THE PRICE. I knew that Kohler had to make a decent toilet that "did the job required" - surely!

We didn't buy ours at a "big box store." We went to a shop specializing in fixtures that were a step (or several steps) above spec house grade. They carried Toto and Kohler and several other brands. We just asked which were the best in each brand and then asked if there were any appreciable differences for the price on the best of each. They told us "no difference whatsoever" when you choose between the better of each brand. So we saved a couple hundred dollars by buying an upper end Kohler vs an upper end Toto. We spent a little over $300 instead of $700.

Oh, one other thing to consider. Do you want the curly things and exposed nuts and bolts (that you have to cover up with the little caps) on either side, or do you want flat sides? I prefer the flat sides. You'll pay a bit more but they're so much easier to clean.

Also, do you want a handle or a push button to flush?

I prefer less water usage over water waste but I don't want to trade one problem for another (less water usage but not as clean a bowl). But we were still able to find a Kohler toilet that used less water but has a powerful flush. Our toilet has a button on top that has two settings (the button is split in half so you can push either side). One side activates a flush that uses more water and one side activates a flush that is more gentle. You can guess which you use for which purpose!
I paid around $250-275 for my Toto Drake, from a local plumbing supply house. That included the seat and everything.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 AM

620 posts, read 1,747,929 times
Toto

Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 AM

50,169 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
oops. I misread your heading.
lol

Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 AM

50,169 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Ok, so for starters, I should only buy a 1.6 gpf rate. This is progress.
Katherine, I already know that DH will not install a one piece toilet, even if it's cute, because he thinks it will involve turning himself into a pretzel shape to get it connected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House