Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 02:51 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,481,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Used on a regular basis vacuums are not designed to last more than about five years, with some exceptions. I heard that from a vacuum store owner that sold several braqnds, from inexpensive to ultra expensive.
I worked for a company who's maintenance department used vacuums several hours ever day, and the best was usually only good for two years.
I guess we have been extremely lucky... going back to the 1930's our fleet of Electrolux keep sucking...

My Grandmother did have her WWII model "Serviced" in the 70's... her Electrolux man picked it up and left a loaner... her machine had brushes and bearings replaced for a nominal charge... nothing was broken... it's just Mr Spainhower said it's recommended every 20 to 30 years... he should know since he sold it to her and sold to most of my family through the 90's...

As kids we would play "Wagon Train" with one pulling and the others sitting on the vacuum being pulled through the house... and yes, that vacuum still lives and resides in the garage for car duty...

Now we have lost one... in 2001 my brother got married and as is family tradition, he received a new Electrolux.

All was good until one day he was vacuuming his car interior when the phone rang... his wife went to move the car and destroyed the vacuum... she was not from an Electrolux family and bought a lightweight model to replace it... they are on their third vacuum in 7 years!

Not to pile on her... she also bought cheap replacement bags and complained the vacuum didn't work well... guess it is something that has to learned or simply born with.

I vacuum on average once a week... also have rentals and have my aunts Electrolux I use just for apartment turnovers...

Having a hypo-allergenic bag is also nice... I buy the genuine Electrolux bags in cases of 100... and usually split them 4 ways... bags are not cheap... but worth it in my opinion...

In full disclosure... I, nor any in my family or circle of friends is or ever has been employed by Electrolux!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 03:36 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
My house Sebo will last forever, but we vacuum a lot for work and we go through a Sebo every four-five years, and then my husband takes the house Sebo and I'm left with nothing....

Old 11-01-2014, 03:41 PM

587 posts, read 912,460 times
I bought the cheapest Miele there was 15 years ago and it's still going strong. Very easy to change the filter and one is included in every box of bags I buy.

The suggestion of going into a store and trying some out is a great one - that was how I picked mine out. You can examine the build quality, test the suction, hear how loud it is, see how complicated the features are.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:05 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,254,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I don't know if it helped her, but it helped me...I've been looking for a lightweight vac for our house....I've heard of Riccar
We also recommend Riccar/Simplicity (we deal in vacs/parts). Kenmore is still pretty good, but is going down a bit since they shifted to Chinese motors. The best canister is Miele, strong, but quiet.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:02 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,041,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Dyson

They seem expensive ... but they are GREAT vacuum cleaners
x2. This.

This is the only vacuum cleaner in my entire life that has made my Mom with an Obsessive/Compulsive disorder that rivals Monk happy.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:16 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,254,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My house Sebo will last forever, but we vacuum a lot for work and we go through a Sebo every four-five years, and then my husband takes the house Sebo and I'm left with nothing....
Sebo is a really nice commercial machine. We've had a couple (that we then sold). My DH not only works on vacs, he's a serial collector. He gets a machine, we use it for a while, and then we sell it. We usually have at least one Kirby, as they are strong, easy to fix, and he just likes them. We have two Miele canisters, which are "mine", a Simplicity Series 7 that we're now selling, three Tristar/Compacts, and probably something else I'm missing. Oh, an Electrolux Silverado. And a bagless Kenmore canister that we're selling.

DH is with the rest of the vacuum people and won't have a Dyson. He and his vac people call them "Die-Soons".

Old 11-01-2014, 08:55 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,736,119 times
I have long hair, a furry shedding dog, and 2 cats, and I love, love, love my Shark Rotator. The hair and fur killed 2 Orecks and 2 Bissells. I especially love that there are no bags! With all the fur and hair, I would go through a bag a week, at least.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:10 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,989,485 times
get a shop vac..............50 bucks and more suction than any of the expensive vacs.........

Old 11-01-2014, 10:30 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,783,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm curious...

Always thought of a vacuum as a once in a lifetime purchase... surprised to see many posters that have bought several and still searching for the perfect one.
I have a 20 yr old Fantom that just. refuses. to. die. It's ok, but I need something lighter that doesn't spit out the dirt through the back. LOL

Old 11-01-2014, 11:20 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,363,022 times
I love my older model Electrolux cannister, WITH a bag.
**I prefer a cannister. The floor bears most of its weight. An upright means you are constantly pushing and pulling that heavy motor.
**The beater brushes get the floor much cleaner than having none. We have a good bit of carpet - the beater brushes do work better on carpet than bare floor. I don't even turn on the brushes for the wood or vinyl floors.
**A bagless vacuum means you are tapping out the trash...but there are always dust and bits of trash left behind that you have to wipe out at some point. With a bag, you pull the whole thing out, put another in...done. Plus, the bags seem to help the suction work better.
**My vacuum cleaner is around 20 years old. I bought it used. Other than changing bags and its filter once or twice, it has needed no repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House