Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:10 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,133,978 times

Advertisements

I'm confused about vacuums.
First question is, what is the advantage of canister vacuums?
Secondly, is there a vacuum without those annoying brush rollers that all my longish hairs get wound around?
Third, what are the filters for, and are they always necessary? (I recently wasted money on a vacuum that wouldn't tell me how to clean its filters, besides it was still loud, and although lighter than most, its suction was poor).

*What I'm looking for is a lightweight, quiet, bagless, roller-brushless vacuum without confusing filters to have to clean. If filters are absolutely necessary for all vacuums, I need for there to at least be explicit instructions in the owner's manual on how to remove and clean them.* Does such a contraption exist, and if so, which one is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I'm confused about vacuums.
First question is, what is the advantage of canister vacuums?
Secondly, is there a vacuum without those annoying brush rollers that all my longish hairs get wound around?
Third, what are the filters for, and are they always necessary? (I recently wasted money on a vacuum that wouldn't tell me how to clean its filters, besides it was still loud, and although lighter than most, its suction was poor).

*What I'm looking for is a lightweight, quiet, bagless, roller-brushless vacuum without confusing filters to have to clean. If filters are absolutely necessary for all vacuums, I need for there to at least be explicit instructions in the owner's manual on how to remove and clean them.* Does such a contraption exist, and if so, which one is it?
Canister vacs are best for bare floors -- no brush roll. However -- I don't know of one that is bagless. But I don't like them because I vacuum my house wonky, and have fallen over backwards from this thing following behind me.

If you want an upright, you want one where you can turn off the brush roll. It will still have one, it just won't roll.

If I were you, I would locate an old fashioned vacuum store, or repair shop that also sells vacuums. They can tell you exactly what you want, and then let you try it out.

Doing janitorial, I can attest that light isn't the be all end all.... Orecks are 8 pounds light and they are the hardest vacs to manuever.... I spent a day picking that sucker up and placing it where I needed it to go into nooks and crannies and then picking it back up to turn it around to go straight again, whereas my 16 Sebo dances on the floor.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:11 PM

983 posts, read 1,173,997 times
Dyson

They seem expensive ... but they are GREAT vacuum cleaners

Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 PM

17,439 posts, read 65,717,646 times
If you do a search of the House Forum you will find plenty of hashing AND rehashing of vac's.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:26 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,538,935 times
Panaonic upright is great, but not bagless. They're sold at vacuum stores, not big box stores.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:41 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,573,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Dyson

Agree! Love my Dyson! ....Tossed out my Kriby ...:P Freaking nightmare dragging it around, way to heavy....Plus it didn't pick up that great, to big....

Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,982,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Dyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Agree! Love my Dyson! ....Tossed out my Kriby ...:P Freaking nightmare dragging it around, way to heavy....Plus it didn't pick up that great, to big....
I also vote for Dyson. Yes, they really are worth the money. I have long hair that always burned up other vacuums after almost no time. I do not have this problem with the Dyson. I do occasionally have to clean off the beater bar thing but it's so easy to get out and clean. Just flip up the side piece, pull it out, clean it, and done. The only thing I don't like about the Dyson is the wand/hose part. The only area I need this is to vacuum furniture and our stairs. I bought a small handheld vacuum for that purpose simply because I didn't like the wand part of the Dyson.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:44 AM

16 posts, read 21,062 times
If you want the performance of a Dyson but at less than 1/2 the cost, check out the Shark Navigator Professional. I had a Dyson for a few months and hated it, and replaced it with the Shark and it was the best move ever. It sucks up everything, is simple to operate, can be used as an upright or detachable canister, bagless, and easy to empty/clean the filters. There's a reason why Shark models make up for 7 of the 20 best selling vacuums on Amazon!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,086,029 times
I have a Hoover Linx bagless and cordless and I'm very happy with it. It depends on what kind of floors you have, though. You can do an area rug but it's definitely better on hardwood than on carpet.

Hoover® Platinum Collection™ LiNX Cordless Stick Vacuum

Old 10-31-2014, 06:01 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,409,805 times
I've owned them all, and they all suck, lol. The new rule, buy cheap, when it breaks, throw it out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House