Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:35 PM

99 posts, read 190,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
In your first pic I see a leaking window by the stains left on the drywall. Because the only way to completely resolve this paint issue is to remove the drywall and replace it, that would be my fix and while the drywall is out, locate and fix the leaky window and install R-15 insulation. Reinstall new drywall, texture to what is already there on other walls, and paint it. I don't see any loose paint on the adjoining walls and you didn't say. The effected area may be just this outside wall due to the moisture from the leaky window. Moisture will push any paint off of the surface as it migrates to the surface to dry out.
Thank you, but the leak issue from that window was fixed......it was caused by sheer laziness of the previous owners when it came to attending to the gutters. We have quite a few trees around the house and the gutters were HORRIBLY jam-packed with gunk. You would not believe all the other water issues that were resolved in this house just by my climbing up there, cleaning them out real good and installing gutter-screen. Ever since we took care of that four years ago, we haven't had a drop come from that window (or any of the other problem areas).

The peel-able paint IS on all the adjoining walls and appears to most likely be due to the walls not being cleaned before they applied the cheap poo-brown enamel paint. Re-dry-walling is not an option as I would have to do it myself now and I know my limits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 11:43 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
iu/ujyh
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez View Post
I know, I understand. I want it too look good so I will do the work needed, I'm just not too happy about it. I can already tell that they never bothered washing the walls before applying that poo-brown paint because where it's peeled off, I can see the filth on what was possibly once white enamel paint. Knowing them, those walls were probably NEVER washed.

The ceiling is actually all smooth, no texture to it at all so yes, it is probably just a faux-finish thing, so at least I don't think I'll have to sand or scrub that with a wire brush. Hopefully primer alone will cover that up (AFTER it is washed, of course )

So I should use the TSP after I get all the poo-brown paint off the walls, right? I can't believe that color with that finish was chosen here......it looks as if someone just smeared the contents of a baby's diaper all over the place.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to have anyone come in to do any of this, it's all on me, so the skimming (or any re-dry-walling) is not an option. I do know how to drywall, but when I learned it was my husband and I doing it together.....he passed away two years ago.....and I know it's not something I can handle all on my own. Thank you again for the instructions
TSP is a great idea -- it will degloss the remaining paint and finely etch the surface so allow the new paint to grab. Only thing -- wear gloves and eye protection while using it. I really screwed up the skin on my hands by not. It was a few weeks before they got back to normal. And while they were getting back to normal they looked like something out of a horror movie...

Old 11-14-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
iu/ujyh

TSP is a great idea -- it will degloss the remaining paint and finely etch the surface so allow the new paint to grab. Only thing -- wear gloves and eye protection while using it. I really screwed up the skin on my hands by not. It was a few weeks before they got back to normal. And while they were getting back to normal they looked like something out of a horror movie...
Thank you for the heads up on the gloves.....I have a bad habit of using cleaning chemicals and such bare-handed so I know exactly what you mean. In fact, I currently have bleach burns on my fingertips right now as I type lol

Old 11-14-2014, 03:12 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Remember there are two TSP... one is Trisodium phosphate and the is a brand name TSP

The first one is much more effective... also kills plants if used outside.

Trisodium phosphate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-15-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Remember there are two TSP... one is Trisodium phosphate and the is a brand name TSP

The first one is much more effective... also kills plants if used outside.

Trisodium phosphate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you, I did not know that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House