Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 05:58 AM

293 posts, read 881,984 times

Advertisements

I live in a 1920s six story apartment building that has a steam heat system. My super has told me that two of my radiators have leaks and should be replaced. Here's a picture of one of them. The other has a leak on the bottom. I haven't seen any steam coming, water on the floor or any other signs of damage.

My super has given me two options. He can buy new radiators and he's quoting a price of approx $800 per radiator. How do I go about determining if that price is fair/reasonable?

The second option is to replace it with another cast iron radiator from the building, so no radiator cost. (when owners renovate they sometimes remove the old radiator and the super still has them all in storage.) Can they be tested in some way to determine if they are leak free?

Anything else I should be considering?
Attached Thumbnails
replacing cast iron radiator questions-radiator.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 06:23 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,189,709 times
You could call a company that replaces radiators and ask what they charge.

Usually a leak can be found with a pressure test.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:16 PM

9 posts, read 38,601 times
Is this a rental?
If so, shouldn't the landlord pay for this?

Old 11-23-2014, 05:40 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,473,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmom View Post
1) He can buy new radiators...
2) replace it with another cast iron radiator from the building...

Anything else I should be considering?
Unless the casting itself is cracked repairing the ones you have.

If you go new... go cool: modern steam radiator - Google Search

Old 11-23-2014, 07:23 AM

9,343 posts, read 13,925,768 times
First ask him how he knows that they are leaking.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:23 AM

752 posts, read 1,479,376 times
I have the same in my house...if they are in fact leaking, you might be able to have the leak repaired. But since you say you see no evidence of water pooling, or steam escaping, what initially called attention to it?
The other (and probably more cost effective option) is to replace it with another cast-iron radiator. Yes, they can be checked for leaks---but since this is a rental, shouldn't your landlord be taking care of this, or the costs anyway?

Those old cast iron radiators can last a lifetime, so a repair should be first considered if its one small to moderate break of some kind...sometimes the valve leaks, so that should be looked at too.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:25 PM

It's not a rental - I own the apartment. The building is a co-op.

To answer the question of what caused attention to it, when the heat was first turned on in the building this fall I didn't seem to be getting much so my super came to take a look. That was when he told me I had signs of leaks on two of my radiators - the rusty stripe in the picture above was what he pointed to. He encouraged it as a precaution because other owners had had leak problems this season and basically said it was just a matter of time before I had a leak. So he recommended repairing with a new radiator, which he would install for me so I don't need to go to the plumber - how helpful!

My feeling is that I'd rather not do anything if I don't need to, so it sounds like I need to have a professional take a look at it to determine if I really need to do anything.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:45 PM

752 posts, read 1,479,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmom View Post
It's not a rental - I own the apartment. The building is a co-op.

To answer the question of what caused attention to it, when the heat was first turned on in the building this fall I didn't seem to be getting much so my super came to take a look. That was when he told me I had signs of leaks on two of my radiators - the rusty stripe in the picture above was what he pointed to. He encouraged it as a precaution because other owners had had leak problems this season and basically said it was just a matter of time before I had a leak. So he recommended repairing with a new radiator, which he would install for me so I don't need to go to the plumber - how helpful!

My feeling is that I'd rather not do anything if I don't need to, so it sounds like I need to have a professional take a look at it to determine if I really need to do anything.

well, it could be a very, very small, slow leak or it might be nothing. It does look like the radiators have not been repainted in a while. If is a very small leak, then patching it (that is, a repair) is probably the most cost-effective and practical means of handling it. A replacement with another cast-iron radiator is another fairly cheap option, though those often run about $200, for the radiator alone....installment is not especially expensive in most cases. Personally, Id wait on it since there does not seem to be an active leak with water and/or steam coming out of it and pooling on the floor. Get a second opinion if you feel some kind of repair or replacement is warranted....I would advise getting a second opinion.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:45 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,345,072 times
Note that a true steam system is very different from a radiator hot water system.
If true steam the replacement radiators are very expensive. $800. at least. What
you might to is call a Local of the Operating Engineers. They could tell you who
locally inspects/repairs these rads. If you need further work that that, they could
direct you in that direction as well.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:25 PM

It's a 1920s 6 story building, so I imagine it is a true steam system based on what I've read about the type of heating that was installed at the time. But I'll check to make sure. Thanks for everyone's input - I'm going to make a few calls this week for a second opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House